Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE (Read 57141 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge- Round 1 Carlton v WCE

Reply #165
Meh I disagree with slugger. We've seen Bell with those blokes around him and he's still the same. Judd and Murphy do not improve his decision making or his disposal.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #166
Meh I disagree with slugger. We've seen Bell with those blokes around him and he's still the same. Judd and Murphy do not improve his decision making or his disposal.

Tend to agree, he needs to give off the ball by hand to the better decision makers/users....
His nous for playing the game has not improved....bumps when he should tackle and takes on players like he would have at junior level where he had a size
advantage most weeks but that wont work at senior level...

Judd has been mentoring him but that hasnt worked...time for a change...

Reply #167

Tend to agree, he needs to give off the ball by hand to the better decision makes/users....
His nous for playing the game has not improved....bumps when he should tackle and takes on players like he would have at junior level where he had a size

Agree, he tries hard and occasionally does something OK but he's just not a smart player - we need better, especially looking to the future.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #168

Tend to agree, he needs to give off the ball by hand to the better decision makes/users....

Agree, he tries hard and occasionally does something OK but he's just not a smart player - we need better, especially looking to the future.

Obviously, i also agree.

If Bell needs other players to make him look good then that more than enough about Bells abilities.

The biggest problem with Bell is that he is essentially, a slow thinker/reader of play. He should take the first option and kick it at least a few steps earlier. By the time he reads what is going on...its too late.

Reply #169
Yep
The role Bell plays is really not too dependent on players around him.
It's his job to get the ball and get it out or pass it on...
He has no trouble getting the ball......the fact that his decision making and disposal is the issue for most of us means that unless he can correct it he will always be the subject of criticism.
That's not influenced to a great extent by other players.

Having said that...I haven't given up on him.
A bit of improvement and he could be a real asset for us

Reply #170
See ball!

Get ball!

Give off ball - pdq!

Reply #171
I remember loving Luke Rhino O'Sullivan because he was so strong. Injury shortened his career, but apart from his great strength and power, Rhino lacked skill.

Love the way Tom bangs his weight around too. Not sure about his skill set, and he should work on that in the Twos rather than take a spot where we need Premiership Points

Reply #172
I reckon Rhino had a pretty lethal left boot there Phillip!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #173
I think u will find Bell a much better footballer with the likes of Murph ,Gibbs and Judd around him for him to dish off to and be told what to do,than you will with the likes of graham and the other younger group around him,the likes of Judd etc will make the likes of Cripps and co much better footballers with there talk and experience,that's why the likes of the hawks,swans and Geelong can bring young blokes into there side and they immediatly have an impact.The more experienced players know when to go and when to block,and will more often than not be there for a link up player for the likes of Cripps and Bell.If u don't think it would be easier to play along side the likes of Judd,Gibbs ,Murph,Thomas etc than it is alongside young blokes that have never or hardly played at this level u know nothing about footy.Bell will be okay so will Cripps just give them a break they are Carlton.
Like it or not at least it's my opinion.
Cripps will be a jet, Bell will not. Its that simple.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #174
Spot on
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #175
I think that Bell should be played me on the outside to take advantage of his running.  Maybe on a wing or high HF? 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #176
All those of you who judge Bell - hang your heads in abject shame.

He's 23yo and HAS PLAYED 29 senior games. TWENTY NINE. ONLY.

the SIMPLE RULE IS THAT IT TAKES most players 75 games + to find their feet at the top level.

Seriously, arm chair critics in over drive......

from memory he didn't even play afl as a kid?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #177

the SIMPLE RULE IS THAT IT TAKES most players 75 games + to find their feet at the top level.

I won't hang MY head in shame and I stick by what I say about Bell - too bad if you don't happen to like it.

Reply #178
Lot of the discussion about Bell may be the result of him being so prominant. He, along with Tuohy led the disposal count for Carlton with 19 each.  So yes, he got caught a few times and turned it over, but he was making it to each contest and winning the footy for us. There were a few players whose touches were in the single figures and have not received quite the same attention here. 

He is developing and he has not played a lot of footy, but he has some good attributes and works hard. Plenty of upside I think, and I look forward to him getting better over the year.

Reply #179

Settle down tiger, everyone is entitled to an opinion. People call it as they see it, far too many over inflate the abilities of our players. You want an honest appraisal of him and others on our list? Talk to other teams supporters, we are simply not rated highly at all and its players like Bell and Graham (to use 2 examples who many are pinning their hopes on) who perpetuate this opinion. Just as an example, I have two good mates who are supporters of other clubs who have wives that are Carlton supporters. They both go to their teams as well as Carlton games most weeks to appease their better halves. Whilst they have soft spots Carlton, they don't rate our list at all apart from a few players here and there. An its very interesting that they both point out very similar things in relation to particular players. In any case, we will always have our own opinions, thats what forums like this are for. As I have always said, would love nothing more than to be proven wrong by players who I dont rate.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th