Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO (Read 48281 times) previous topic - next topic

NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO

With Round #1 done and dusted and things not quite going the way we would like, there will be quite a lot of interest in the next game, here in Bendigo.
Personally I think we may have a very different line up on the park. QEO is quite a spacious ground now after the redevelopment, although the facilities for the players are definitely not up to AFL standard. Current expectation is for a very full house. The record crowd at QEO was before the redevelopment and over 20000 people crammed in for a game with us against Melbourne. Kids were hanging from the fences and on the roof of the stand.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO

Reply #1
We seem to be at different stages of preparation (at least to me it seems). I think they will field a stronger side than us. Both mobs hate losing to each other no matter if its regular season or tidily winks. Will be interesting, don't expect we will win but you never know with these two.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Don't hold your breath on this one. Collingwood will probably give us more trouble than the Eagles did. Buckley won't let us win any games against his club. Just to rub it into Micks face.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
Don't want to go overboard and get a bunch of injuries BUT I'd love to see us serve it to the Pies and beat them.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
Don't want to go overboard and get a bunch of injuries BUT I'd love to see us serve it to the Pies and beat them.

What I fear most is if we play an almost full side, we end up beating them and then have 3 players on the LTI list. That is precisely our luck. :(

Reply #5
Even worse... play a full side, lose and cop some LTI.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #6
I'll be there. I think we'll get flogged though. I was expecting the Pies to drop off but their young kids have come in and haven't skipped a beat.

Reply #7
Need to build momentum.... a good showing will suffice, I wouldnt expect a full strength team just some more of the regulars though back in
to steady the ship. Be nice to make it a close match then win the last NAB game and go into round 1 of the regular season with some form and confidence...
Important that players like Jones, Boekhorst etc do something in these next games and demand a place in the round 1 team....

Bit dissapointing to see Waite do well for North, Eddie was good for the Crows and even Kane Lambert(ex Northern Blues) made a good start for the Tigers.....we need our recruits or at least a couple of them to play well and give the fans something to build some hope for the future and some concrete evidence we have improved.

If Lambert was to star for the Tigers in Round1 and say Boekhorst played a shocker it would be very disheartening for the faithful....

Reply #8
Reckon still include Boekhurst, Smith, Dick, Cripps, Watson, Rainbow, Holman and Tutt in the side for the match just to give them another run. I'd rather not include Judd, Murphy or even Gibbs. Just rest them for the final game. Also rest Jacksch, he will be alright.

Reply #9
If Lambert was to star for the Tigers in Round1 and say Boekhorst played a shocker it would be very disheartening for the faithful....

Especially if Laverde plays for Essendon and does really well.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #10
Still pees me off no end that Waite was worth nothing re FA como yet he appears to be a pretty important player in norf's plans.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #11
Still pees me off no end that Waite was worth nothing re FA como yet he appears to be a pretty important player in norf's plans.
I really do find this incredible. The AFL really need to think about this issue. Just because a player is nearer the end than the start does not make him worthless.
Nichevo.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
^^

On the other hand, we dont want clubs to be encouraged to shed elderly players looking at the likely compensation from doing so rather than the worth to their team which will in turn bring a premature end to their careers if no one shows interest.

Its a real pickle of a situation, and one thing that would alleviate it, is to revisit the discussion surrounding veterans and maybe gearing it so that its more attractive to have veterans rather than not.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
I reckon it will definitely increase the length of careers. Opposition clubs will need to offer extra years for the player to move. I think you'll see more and more older guys moving though.

They'll most likely move to teams at the top, so you may see more dramatic falls from grace from teams at the top.

Reply #14
I really do find this incredible. The AFL really need to think about this issue. Just because a player is nearer the end than the start does not make him worthless.
Nichevo.

What is classed as close to an end of a career ? Some players struggle once they hit 28 years of age while others manage to play at 34 years of age still. There should be a scale system that looks at the contract offered to the player in terms of time and money, versus how valuable the player was to the club he is leaving. One of the highest goal scorers, one who gets more possesions than most of the squad, etc. We lost him and I don't feel no compensation was a fair deal. If it was  Melbourne player I am certain they would have got a first or second round pick.