Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 47903 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #120
I was never a fan of it (the rebuild) because it is a lie, but i got abused for two years on here for suggesting we are going nowhere under this coach and board etc.  Now interestingly, my critics have disappeared under the woodwork. We are a putrid club with a putrid coach and putrid administration. We are an embarrassment and will continue to be until change occurs. 

I'll say it again...it's not so much your opinions that you get attacked for because your disappointment and views are shared by a few folk.
It's the way you express it.

We're not a great club at present, Bolton may prove not to be a great coach...and the admin... well we're not too sure who they are from day to day at the moment... but putrid is just over the top.

Reply #121

re: Kennedy....still not convinced, 1st quarter was terrible, just handed the ball to Hawks players but did improve as the game went on...not a frontline mid IMO..more your Blue Collar 4th mid who needs some class around him to make up for his rough disposal....
Me neither - can't run / can't kick

Reply #122
It's been a crap year for sure.  No denying it.  Most of us thought the previous 2 years were reasonable all things considered. There has been no continuity as a team this year.  Judging the 3 years as a whole and taking everything into consideration i'm not jumping ship yet.  less confident than i was at the start of the season, but not keen on bringing out the pitchforks for now. i will judge them at the end of next season so they have a chance to reply for this season. lots of teams have hiccup years it's just that ours is coming off a very low base so we look bloody awful. we have totally stunk it up this year.

Reply #123

Weitering played his best game for a while and apart from one or two mistakes was good today... true but still too slow
Harry needs new boots.....
Kennedy battled on after a poor start where his disposal was terrible but he did improve... probably his best game this year but still can't run or kick
Polson...not a fan but he had a better game and tried... showed up more but needs to do so in more games
Lobbe...did well and gives some leadership, probably a bit more physical than Kreuzer and Philips... was very competitive in the ruck but that's about it
Shaw.....lost vs Bruest, Poppy..... being 3rd string behind O'Shea and Mullett says it all but I think he could improve more than either of the others
Cripps....fought on well after being decked by Howe
Graham....one of his better outings error wise but low impact.. one of our more competitive players so probably back to the VFL next week
Charlie...quiet by his standards but supply was poor... yep
Wright....ok when he got the ball but nowhere near enough
Jack...ok down back, yep
Simpson...ok..not great - still one of out better players
Murphy...got a few kicks but low impact. - clearly not fit
Levi...very poor
Harry.....kicking was putrid and looked a bit lazy... always looks lazy but looked energetic compared to Levi
Pickett....exciting run and does some good stuff but nowhere near enough.
Obrien....didnt see much of him.
Dow....didnt see much of him - even less than O'Brien
Fisher...missed  his input a lot - looked better than ever until Howe kicked him in or around the ankle
Jones....missed as well - outstanding before he was injured - especially some of his tackles
Marchbank...still rusty....
Ed...ok on Smith and battled on, needed to be on Mitchell... good job on Smith who must be about the biggest whinger in the AFL - bleats to the umpires ever time he doesn't get his own way

Reply #124
I refuse to blame Bolton for this predicament, although his dogmatic, generic coaching shtick is wearing thin.   The players are equally culpable.   Effort,  application and execution of basic skills,  nothing beyond them in those demands.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #126
I refuse to blame Bolton for this predicament, although his dogmatic, generic coaching shtick is wearing thin.   The players are equally culpable.   Effort,  application and execution of basic skills,  nothing beyond them in those demands.

Every coach would be in the same boat.

He was on a hiding to nothing from the get go.

Anyone who is critical of the coach needs to examine their heads.

Bolton has signed onto a club that had the potential to ruin his reputation as a coach from the get go, and has had to suffer through us trading out bonafide AFL players each and every trade and draft period only to see them replaced with guys on the delist pile from other clubs whilst putting his energy into playing young draftees and some GWS retreads who are yet to cement themselves as AFL players.

Whilst doing so he's been positive, he's sticking to the theme, he has conducted himself with decorum and continues to get the blokes out there every week attempting to do something positive.

Rewind to season 2015.  we finished dead last and despite how bad this season has been that season was so much worse because we weren't playing a bunch of kids but we had similar continuity problems but our issues then were that blokes simply were better than what they were giving us but weren't trying or were poorly mused.  Not to mention the coach was embarrassing in press conferences.  

We had no choice.   We had to trade out those players for picks.  Some on here were advocating going harder too.

The hardest part of this rebuild was always going to be transforming the club culture and I think we are seeing that now and it's echoed in the faithful being so confident that they're right and the coach is hopeless.   Think about it.  We all hate seeing this mess we are in,but there is no way our blokes kick 4 in a row if they weren't trying and odds are any lack of effort stems from an inability to see how they can possibly win with half a side under the age of 21.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #127
What we are witnessing now is a team trapped in a losing environment with no escape from it obvious to them. A very difficult situation for both them and the coach leading to a loss of self-belief and a fall in morale to rock bottom. This is the major risk of a bottom out rebuild and for the sake of all season's end can't come soon enough. We are absolutely desperate for a good win but I can't see where we'll get one from.

Problems run a lot deeper than just "the guys aren't trying hard enough".

We can only pray atm that BB can pull us all through this and that SOS can attract the right players for 2019.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #128
What kills us every week is that the opposition moves the ball so much better than we do.
They hit targets more regularly by hand and foot and run to space instinctively because they're confident their team mates won't cough it up.
We look timid because we don't have the skills which allow us to take risks, so we play safe, and get exposed.
McKay spotted up Marchbank with a lovely ball, Marchbank took the set shot and kicked it out of bounds.
It destroys confidence, and it's contagious.
I agree with what you say re coughing up the ball. We are very inconsistent with our kicking.
What I will say though, is our pressure when we are defending is almost non existent, and that allows the opposition to look a lot better than they probably are.
2 weeks ago, I counted at least 3 times where the opposition had a kick in from a behind, 6 uncontested marks resulting in an easy shot on goal. 1 of those was 2 marks inside 50. Resulted in 2 goals and a behind.
Last night, watch the vision of Hawthorn coming out of defence, our guys would mark space, the ball runner runs to our guy, handballs over the top to an unmarked player (his opponent marking space 3-4 metres away), then runs on past our next guy for the next Hawks ball runner to rinse and repeat. Coast to coast with uncontested possessions.
Our forwards are not at all defensively minded, FFS they wont work hard enough when we have the ball let alone when we don't. Our midfielders don't work hard enough in defense, and then the defense stand 5 metres off their opponent and wonder why their opponent takes an easy mark.
People are going to say, "well we had 2 rotations down, our guys were cooked", what about the games when we weren't? Same result.
Our guys are lazy and don't work hard enough.

Why is that?

Reply #129
I agree with what you say re coughing up the ball. We are very inconsistent with our kicking.
What I will say though, is our pressure when we are defending is almost non existent, and that allows the opposition to look a lot better than they probably are.
2 weeks ago, I counted at least 3 times where the opposition had a kick in from a behind, 6 uncontested marks resulting in an easy shot on goal. 1 of those was 2 marks inside 50. Resulted in 2 goals and a behind.
Last night, watch the vision of Hawthorn coming out of defence, our guys would mark space, the ball runner runs to our guy, handballs over the top to an unmarked player (his opponent marking space 3-4 metres away), then runs on past our next guy for the next Hawks ball runner to rinse and repeat. Coast to coast with uncontested possessions.
Our forwards are not at all defensively minded, FFS they wont work hard enough when we have the ball let alone when we don't. Our midfielders don't work hard enough in defense, and then the defense stand 5 metres off their opponent and wonder why their opponent takes an easy mark.
People are going to say, "well we had 2 rotations down, our guys were cooked", what about the games when we weren't? Same result.
Our guys are lazy and don't work hard enough.

Why is that?

That imo is a classic symptom of a bad collapse in team morale, see my previous post.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #130
It's been a crap year for sure.  No denying it.  Most of us thought the previous 2 years were reasonable all things considered. There has been no continuity as a team this year.  Judging the 3 years as a whole and taking everything into consideration i'm not jumping ship yet.  less confident than i was at the start of the season, but not keen on bringing out the pitchforks for now. i will judge them at the end of next season so they have a chance to reply for this season. lots of teams have hiccup years it's just that ours is coming off a very low base so we look bloody awful. we have totally stunk it up this year.

This.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #131
That imo is a classic symptom of a bad collapse in team morale, see my previous post.

I'm not so sure Cookie.
I would agree that it's not helping, but I don't agree that it's a major issue.
This has been happening the whole year. We have played a couple of really good games, that should be enough to get morale up, then we come out the next week and play like we are entitled to win based on last weeks performance.
Add to that, some of these guys are playing for their spot on an AFL list. They aren't going to get another chance. I'd think that would be incentive enough.
I've said it before and I will probably be laughed at for saying it again...
Want to know why guys like Polsen get a game? Because they don't leave anything out on the field. Why do our forwards get dropped and can't get back in (unless the MC reads too many news articles and fold to media pressure)? No work ethic.

Reply #132

Bolton is tactically very poor IMO......dopey Zone defense you could drive a convoy through and just refuses to acknowledge the better players in the opposition teams...ie Mitchell yesterday......it was coaching 101 to tag him and Bolton did what he has done for 3 years now and froze in the coaches box along with Barker and the other goon squad we have assembled.

Reply #133
I'll say it again...it's not so much your opinions that you get attacked for because your disappointment and views are shared by a few folk.
It's the way you express it.

We're not a great club at present, Bolton may prove not to be a great coach...and the admin... well we're not too sure who they are from day to day at the moment... but putrid is just over the top.

Lods,

here is a definition of 'putrid'

putrid
ˈ
1. decaying or rotting and emitting a fetid smell.

2. very unpleasant; repulsive.

I would say both of these definitions are suitable for where we are at a the minute.  1-16?????   This is breaking all sort of records for the wrong reason.  So is 2-27???

I would say 'putrid' is putting it nicely.

Reply #134
Couple of things:
In the first quarter especially, there were a quite a few times where the Carlton player would try to cover off a Hawk and move to (say) the left.  Hawk easily moved to the right and was away.  It was frustrating to watch.

Culture/effort and all that.  We are shooting ourselves in the foot a bit.  We bring in blokes like Rhys Palmer and Billie Smedts - mature age that can help us out and they play less than a handful of games in either the ones or twos.  One season later they're gone.  Got rid of over 40 players in three seasons.  Hard to build a team like that when a lot of players would be looking over their shoulders seeing if they are the next to go.  Add that to at least 3 changes every week and it makes it very hard to build cohesion.  The players certainly don't look as if they are playing for each other.

It is really hard to know what the club is looking for from these players (are Mullet and O'Shea the next two to be treated the same?) and what players they are looking at down the track.

In the meantime, I will be surprised if we get within 10 goals of anyone for the rest of the season.

(ps congrats to whoever said Bruest 5 goals, Blues 7)