Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 37431 times) previous topic - next topic

2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney

Not looking forward to this after tonight, but at the MCG and with Kreuzer back we will be better.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #1
100 point loss.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2

Reply #3
Have to rest some of the kids and play seasoned bodies.

Sydney defensively are stronger then port.

Go on with a similar young side and we will be lucky to score a goal.

Hope Kreuzer gets up.

Reply #4
Which young player do we drop? Despite our recent performance, I don't think there are any obvious axings. Pickett for Smedts and Polson for Kerridge?

Reply #5
Which young player do we drop? Despite our recent performance, I don't think there are any obvious axings. Pickett for Smedts and Polson for Kerridge?

Therein is what we have to deal with RE. Apart from Kreuzer the players we can bring in will only serve to rest our youngsters. Which ones of those need a rest most. I'd suggest Weitering for sure and maybe Cripps.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
I dont ever remember talking about players being "sore" after 4 or 5 rounds. Has the game changed that much? Kruze and Daisy missed. Murphy looked shot last night despite a full pre season. I reckon his knees are troubling him again. He has been wearing tape every game just below the knee cap. Some weeks on both, last night just one. He was limping fairly noticeably when he tried to sprint, couldn't catch a cold last night. Simmo and Doc also looked a little "stiff" at times.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #7
After giving Polson a taste I'd "rest" him in at Preston, Fisher maybe the same.  Flyweights don't work against the swans, their mids are too hard at it.

I'd like to see hard running options across the wings, certainly at least one of Smedts, Kerridge or Cunners.  Our spread was poor, but if you lose the rucks it doesn't matter, you're chasing bums.

I'd be tempted to play Jones as a mobile utility, although I doubt he has the endurance.  I think we need another bigger option on the bench.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #8
Let's see who puts their hand up today in the NBs.

Reply #9
Therein is what we have to deal with RE. Apart from Kreuzer the players we can bring in will only serve to rest our youngsters. Which ones of those need a rest most. I'd suggest Weitering for sure and maybe Cripps.

Cookie - why does Weitering and Cripps need a rest. Its only round 5!

Ive noticed ately as soon as one of our more senior players have a quiet game the word 'injured' or 'needs a rest' is instantly raised. Sometimes fit and healthy footballers don't play to their ability. Happens every week.

Weitering is a kid who had a poor game - Ball delivery to him was terrible so life was made very hard for a player with only one year under his belt.

As for Cripps I thought he was close to his best last night - especially when you consider we were without a decent ruckman and still managed over 35 mostly inside touches. He will never be that explosive type so regardless of his fitness level you wont see him tearing away from a contested situation - he is bloody good at his trade but he is a bit one dimensional so until we get mids in or kids developed to do the outside running I think his flaws will be highlighted more. He always looks stuffed - maybe cause he cops more inside contact then any other blues player.

I do agree that apart from Kreuzer any senior replacements in this week will not be in our long term plans but still I think Bolts will need to bring some more experience in this week -Swans are a very seasoned and tough outfit and Fisher/Polsen types just don't look to have the bodies at this early stage to go with them. 

Reply #10
Agree with all that Shawny.

Reply #11
Weitering needs a rest because he's looked like a shot unit for since he copped that knock in the first round. The kids been battered around in a similar manner to Marc Murphy in his early years.

If wins aren't important...and they're obviously not despite comments to the contrary... rest them as required.

We'll reap the benefits in 2022 ::)

Reply #12
Weitering needs a rest because he's looked like a shot unit for since he copped that knock in the first round. The kids been battered around in a similar manner to Marc Murphy in his early years.
Welcome to AFL son, its a brutal game. Why is it our kids all need a rest and kids from other sides just soldier on? They will rest older blokes to preserve their longevity (ie Daisy and Kruze) but the kids will be asked to dig deep and endure and I believe they will respond.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13
100 point loss.
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how consistent we can be, and how well the youngsters recover from that pounding. Sydney are not flying high at the moment.
However, do we have the right defender to take out Buddy? Can we keep the pressure on for 4 quarters? Can we move the ball a LOT quicker into the forward line? Can our ruck division give our mids a chance? Can we stop some of Sydney's best mids?
If we cannot find the right solutions to these problems we could well get thumped again.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
Welcome to AFL son, its a brutal game. Why is it our kids all need a rest and kids from other sides just soldier on? They will rest older blokes to preserve their longevity (ie Daisy and Kruze) but the kids will be asked to dig deep and endure and I believe they will respond.

But that's just a guess...
I could guess some will make it and others won't...others that properly managed 'would' make it, because one size doesn't fit all and development is different for everyone.

Other sides have the advantage of support.
Compare Marc Murphy's early years and the support around him to someone like Joel Selwood's and the support around him.
Murphy cops a bit of criticism but I reckon we crucified him in his early years and it's a credit to him that he turned out the player he has.

Putting out a side like we did last night was dumb in my opinion.
I'm wondering what Bolton actually thought of the result .I suspect he was looking for a young side showing a lot of enthusiasm and effort. What he got was a debacle.