Skip to main content
Topic: SSM Plebiscite (Read 110230 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SSM Plebiscite

Reply #435
I have met 1 and only 1 person who is a 'no' voter. A semi-retired 60+ year old bricklayer. Not surprised of his vote.

Even the church i drive past on punt road is spruiking 'yes'.

I don't know if the rest of australia is thinking very differently to melbourne, but i still can't see it.

Mix with a lot of No voters and dont care voters at work who said they didnt vote...I think the Yes voters are passionate about the issue and took the time
to vote.... I reckon the dont care vote would be high...

Reply #436
I have met 1 and only 1 person who is a 'no' voter. A semi-retired 60+ year old bricklayer. Not surprised of his vote.

I don't know if the rest of australia is thinking very differently to melbourne, but i still can't see it.

I think that the regional differences in voting will be very interesting and, I suspect, quite marked.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #437

We'll know tomorrow.
My guess is it wont be more than 60%-40% either way
Just listening to the television today...most folk especially the politicians seem to be talking quite confidently as though the YES vote has  got up.
I'm not sure how secure the result information is but it appears some people may already know and are making arrangements.

Reply #438
A 60-40 result would be a massive, massive win.

Happy to come off the long run tomorrow once the result is known.

Reply #439
We have duck shooters, road hoons and religious fundamentalist as senators, the regional vote will have more impact than people credit!

I think a 60/40 Yes vote it's the most likely result, but you'll be surprised how much trouble that will cause.

I suspect a lot of older voters are openly saying they'll vote "Yes", which privately means "No"!

A lot of youth are all for Yes, but cannot be stuffed voting, they see it as a non-issue! An enormous proportion of 18 to 25 years olds have no interest in this, they want real jobs and a future.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #440
We have duck shooters, road hoons and religious fundamentalist as senators, the regional vote will have more impact than people credit!

I think a 60/40 Yes vote it's the most likely result, but you'll be surprised how much trouble that will cause.

I suspect a lot of older voters are openly saying they'll vote "Yes", which privately means "No"!

A lot of youth are all for Yes, but cannot be stuffed voting, they see it as a non-issue! An enormous proportion of 18 to 25 years olds have no interest in this, they want real jobs and a future.

See, i see youths actively rallying and and going all out in support of yes. They seem more active in this vote, than any other binding electoral vote. I don't buy the 'too lazy' line.

I dunno, maybe my own little bubble is the exception.

Reply #441

I'm hearing 63-37 but I don't know how reliable that is.  I guess it's close to the sample based opinion polls.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #442
I would be wary of polls - Trump, Brexit, current Gov't.  There is something about the traditional polling that doesn't seem to work as well as it once did.

Reply #443
#1 son enrolled to vote in time.
The teachers at his school gave the VCE students a rev-up and told them to get their act together and enrol.

Personally I think it will be a big majority for yes. Most folks would not actively go out of their way to be mean.

The pollies, etc who have organisations with entrenched practices of discrimination as major supporters - big surprise have been speaking loudly through their wallets.

Reply #444

Mix with a lot of No voters and dont care voters at work who said they didnt vote...I think the Yes voters are passionate about the issue and took the time
to vote.... I reckon the dont care vote would be high...

Ironically the non religious guys I work with voted no but my Catholic family and friends voted yes or not at all. The Catholic church gets painted as the real bad guys in this debate but in my circles they are far more tolerant than my orthodox friends who are in the "hell no" cap. I think the yes vote will get up 60-40.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #445
Ironically the non religious guys I work with voted no but my Catholic family and friends voted yes or not at all. The Catholic church gets painted as the real bad guys in this debate but in my circles they are far more tolerant than my orthodox friends who are in the "hell no" cap. I think the yes vote will get up 60-40.

The official word from the Catholic Church is to vote no. Individuals within larger groups will always have a broad range of opinions, and will embrace the official orthodoxy to varying degrees.

https://www.catholic.org.au/plebiscite

Reply #446
The official word from the Catholic Church is to vote no. Individuals within larger groups will always have a broad range of opinions, and will embrace the official orthodoxy to varying degrees.

https://www.catholic.org.au/plebiscite

I think he meant Orthodox Christians.

In any case, hes correct in his assertion.

Ironically the Orthodox Christians (and most europeans in general) in europe are much more sexually liberated than we are here in Australia.  They wouldnt care if people go starkers at the beach, or are a bit fluid with their sexuality (read free or perhaps waivering).

In any case we will find out in due course what the outcome will be.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #447
An interesting and very good result.

I wouldn't have predicted that the Yes vote would be lowest in NSW  :o

Reply #448
61.6% YES, 38.4% NO

79.5% of voters submitted votes.

Reply #449
An interesting and very good result.

I wouldn't have predicted that the Yes vote would be lowest in NSW  :o

Why?

NSW holds more right wing factions and fundamentalist religious groups than any other state. Some of them are quite large like the Exclusive Bretheren, or West Sydney's large Islamic population.

I fear that the 58%-42% result in NSW will mean this is far from resolved yet, I think the sh1te is yet to hit the fan!
The Force Awakens!