Skip to main content
Topic: Smith's Crew in SA (Read 74102 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smith's Crew in SA

Reply #75
So many of our blokes are making starts and getting out, particularly either side of breaks in play.  Failure to turn those 20's into 50's or better is killing us.  It's almost as if they freeze up with the perceived pressure of the time in the game.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #76
All over, was the Rabada show this test so hopefully he is missing the next one thanks to his send offs and we can perform a bit better.....dont see any team changes for us and reckon we will stick with the same lineup.
Bit of a rumour that Dale Steyn wants to play in the 3rd test...as great as he is or was I doubt they would bring him in cold even with Rabada out and would play safe with Morkel....If its one all going into the 4th test I would back Steyn to play....

Reply #77
Rabada out for the rest of the series.

Good decision by the IOC. A damn good cricketer, but
a hot-headed goose.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #78
David Warner gets sledged over his wife's nocturnal activities whilst she was single and poor little Davey loses the plot.

Its amazing how he has been the prime driver of all things nasty onfield yet the moment it gets turned on him he sooks up.

He is everything that is wrong with Australian cricket right now (and has been for a few years now) and the sooner he gets relegated back to the 20/20 hits & giggles forever the better our game will be.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #79
David Warner gets sledged over his wife's nocturnal activities whilst she was single and poor little Davey loses the plot.

Its amazing how he has been the prime driver of all things nasty onfield yet the moment it gets turned on him he sooks up.

He is everything that is wrong with Australian cricket right now (and has been for a few years now) and the sooner he gets relegated back to the 20/20 hits & giggles forever the better our game will be.

here here.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #80
I'd have flown Renshaw out as cover last week.

Reply #81
All over, was the Rabada show this test so hopefully he is missing the next one thanks to his send offs and we can perform a bit better.....dont see any team changes for us and reckon we will stick with the same lineup.
Bit of a rumour that Dale Steyn wants to play in the 3rd test...as great as he is or was I doubt they would bring him in cold even with Rabada out and would play safe with Morkel....If its one all going into the 4th test I would back Steyn to play....

Very little mention that Starc was totally MIA in Test 2....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #82

You reckon that sort of sledging is Ok do you ?........we were completely scathing of the Saints (carlisle) targeting Murph's wife with similar on-field sledging & backed Murphs reaction to that to the hilt.....hypocrisy.

It is not OK in any situation in any sport, no matter who it involves......and I can tell you if me or anyone else copped anything like that playing cricket in my day, the sledger would have been taken out the back of the sheds & layed out......

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #83
Players from different sports have shown they are either unwilling or unable to stick to rules or gentlemen's agreements in these matters. They simply can't be trusted to do the right thing.

Let your skills do the talking and just ban sledging. Otherwise these incidents will continue to occur and continue to be a blight on sports the world over.

Reply #84
You reckon that sort of sledging is Ok do you ?........we were completely scathing of the Saints (carlisle) targeting Murph's wife with similar on-field sledging & backed Murphs reaction to that to the hilt.....hypocrisy.

It is not OK in any situation in any sport, no matter who it involves......and I can tell you if me or anyone else copped anything like that playing cricket in my day, the sledger would have been taken out the back of the sheds & layed out......

Agree...thats not ok what he said but the boundaries on different issues would be different for individual players, what we might define as nothing too offensive might be taken the wrong way by someone else leading them to reply with stuff that is over the top.
Do you create a seperate rule book for sledging with banned subject matters ie race, religion, family or do you just say only cricket related sledges are allowed.....and have umpires adjudicate and report players?
Problem Warner has is that he is often the player initiating proceedings, when he called  DeKock a f...ing sook twice as he came off the ground if that had been me on the receiving end of that I would have wanted a piece of him off the field but I have noticed he only gets chirpy with little blokes like himself ie DeKock, Kohli, Sharma, Root etc.....someone bigger and he seems silent.
When you initiate verbal attacks on other players he is going to have to get used to a bit coming back his way plus interest attached......

Reply #85

I think you missed that last sentence of mine Malo, I don't agree with that sort of behaviour at all. I've been an administrator at local suburban level for some time and we now have players thinking it is okay to savagely sledge because they see the Test players doing it and I am totally oiver the whole thing.

My point is that Warner has been very happy to lead the chorus in the past but this time around, he copped a little more back than he expected and he has sooked up tenfold.

I have never liked him as a Test player due to his sheer arrogance and aggressive onfield behaviour hence the reason why I suggested he be relegates to 20/20 only.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #86

There is a huge difference between the two situations.  Murphy did not sledge Carlisle and was subjected to a barrage of inappropriate comments from Carlisle and other players.  In contrast, Warner is the acknowledged leader of the Australian cricketers' sledging and he is a known bully.  In common with most bullies, Warner is quite happy to dish it out but doesn't like it coming back.

I have listened to several sportsmen talking about Warner's over the top reaction on the wireless and the most common responses to a sledge about one's partner are, "Whatever!" and "Is that the best you've got?"

Warner's behaviour in sledging the Saffies and his over the top reaction to being sledged in return could well cost us the series.  Player temperament is just as important as run scoring or wicket taking ability.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #87
I reckon sledging is a waste of time.  Chatter is part of the game, but sledging opens you up to snappy come backs.

Some of the best comebacks to sledging were directed towards Glenn McGrath, who typically instigated it;

e.g.  "hey Eddie, why are you so fat?"  was responded to by "because everytime I ##### your wife she gives me a biscuit"

or my favourite "what does Brian Lara's $$$$ taste like?"  was slapped down with "I dunno, ask your wife"

And MacGrath would go off his trolley and bowl like a busted crab.  Morale of story... don't sledge and expect the receiver not to give it back with interest.

Reply #88
I think you missed that last sentence of mine Malo, I don't agree with that sort of behaviour at all. I've been an administrator at local suburban level for some time and we now have players thinking it is okay to savagely sledge because they see the Test players doing it and I am totally oiver the whole thing.

You're on the money there mate....I played the majority of my career from early 80s through to late 90s........there was sledging of course, but it was usually funny, usually left to the senior members of the sides & virtually never abusive personal attacks.  Younger members of a side would never have dared open their mouths until they had at least established themselves as decent players in any grade side.

I had a few years off & then decided to play one more year in 2nd grade to assist the club with mentoring a few of the younger blokes in around 2003 (as a mid 30 year old !)..........the amount of sledging had increased 10 fold since I last played, it was mostly abusive, banal & unintelligent & it was mostly trotted out by snotty nosed little teenage brats,  in their first season having done absolutely nothing, & senior players (ie me & a couple of others) were not immune in the slightest from this abuse.  I walked away after one year, didn't need to put up with that cr@p.  For someone who loves the game as I do....to me, that is extremely sad.

cheers

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #89
You're on the money there mate....I played the majority of my career from early 80s through to late 90s........there was sledging of course, but it was usually funny, usually left to the senior members of the sides & virtually never abusive personal attacks.  Younger members of a side would never have dared open their mouths until they had at least established themselves as decent players in any grade side.

I had a few years off & then decided to play one more year in 2nd grade to assist the club with mentoring a few of the younger blokes in around 2003 (as a mid 30 year old !)..........the amount of sledging had increased 10 fold since I last played, it was mostly abusive, banal & unintelligent & it was mostly trotted out by snotty nosed little teenage brats,  in their first season having done absolutely nothing, & senior players (ie me & a couple of others) were not immune in the slightest from this abuse.  I walked away after one year, didn't need to put up with that cr@p.  For someone who loves the game as I do....to me, that is extremely sad.

cheers

I had a similar experience coming back to play for much the same reasons as yourself when in my 40s. Invited to captain a team made up of "youthful potential" that seemed to be mostly misdirected talent.

But had the sledging increased or was it just because on return we were at the weekend warrior level? A level that is often proliferated with teams full of young footballers bridging the off-season with a bit of cricket?

I also found interfering parents an issue with young teenagers, a lot of why isn't my kid opening sort of discussions went on! Kids playing the sport a parent had chosen for them maybe?
The Force Awakens!