Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 48373 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Paradise!: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #180

We all know, or at least should know, that straight kicking makes a huge difference to a result. While taking nothing away from the boys endevour, this game was a prime example of that.

Hence why guys like Breust and Gunston, despite not being the badly named gorilla type KF, are worth their weight in gold. Put very simply, you get greater reward for your effort and for your F50 entries. In a word, efficiency.

Reply #181
Bottom line Mickey, is that we won by 19 points. If we kick 2.2 to 6.3, we don't win the game no matter how on we are.
If 4 of those Geelong behinds which should have been goals are kicked, we lose.

I would have agreed with you, had we beaten them by 6 goals.

Anyway, it's the old saying, if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle.

We all know, or at least should know, that straight kicking makes a huge difference to a result. While taking nothing away from the boys endevour, this game was a prime example of that.
Bad kicking is bad footy. How many games have we lost due to bad kicking at goal? Its swings and roundabouts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #182
re: Weitering....wasnt sure if he did duck his head or he just did a Hampson and misjudged the flight of the ball....
Thought he had a hard time early with Stanley who is very mobile for a big bloke and he didnt seem to keep up with him very well but as the game went on I thought he got better and took some nice marks and cleared the ball well....

Reply #183
Cripps flogged Blicavs in the second half but played more as an outside mid.

If you look at Cripp's last few week...quiet in the first half, blistering in the second. Might just need time to work over the tag.

Reply #184
I'd love someone to interview Malthouse this morning to see what his take on our season is.

I'd rather read Juddy's mind, "Why the fleck didn't this all happen 2 years ago, I'd be doing a Bob Murphy and be ready by Round 11, if it did!!"

Reply #185
Any updates on Murphy and Sumner???

Shane O'Sullivan was spotted at Tulla, coming through customs with a refill of the Lourdes water bottle that was all used up last week. Murph will be fine.

Reply #186
re: Weitering....wasnt sure if he did duck his head or he just did a Hampson and misjudged the flight of the ball....
Thought he had a hard time early with Stanley who is very mobile for a big bloke and he didnt seem to keep up with him very well but as the game went on I thought he got better and took some nice marks and cleared the ball well....

Never shirked anything during his TAC days. I suspect he'd spent it before it stuck. One of his strengths is just 'knowing' the best option to take when the pill is in his hands.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #187
If you look at Cripp's last few week...quiet in the first half, blistering in the second. Might just need time to work over the tag.

Yep been noticing this trend as well.

Diesel was very similar got better as the game went on.....personally think that as was the case with Diesel they are both not blessed with pace to match the explosive mids so as the pace wears off later in games these sorts of players don't get much slower and as the gap narrows they see a lot more of the play.

Its nice that when you see Cripps with 10 or less touches at half time you can be confident his best footy is still to come when usually the match is in the balance.

Reply #188
To me Weitering didn't look right - he didn't look confident from The get go, which I assume was because he wasn't feeling great or didn't he injure his leg early?

In the social club at the end when some of the boys walked towards the stage he had his head down the entire time whereas the other boys were heads up and stopping for some Fans that got in their way or high fived them. 

He seemed... Run down or I don't know how to put it, just withdrawn I suppose. I think he's injured.

I think he's nervous, said after his shoulder that he'd never been injured before, maybe realising how hard senior footy can be. Club needs to support him through it I reckon.

Reply #189
With great respect, mateinone, Hawkins should have kicked both goals. The fact that his record from that area is 10.16, is frankly a reflection of his poor kicking, rather than the fact that any decent footballer would have kicked those goals. Thankfully, he didn't.

Wait so Tom Hawkins is now considered a sub-standard kick fod goal, I mean you are saying that it is more likely he is a poor kick than the fact it is more difficult than you suggest to kick from that distance and angle right?

Hmm

So 129 VFL/AFL players have kicked 350 league goals, Tom has 354.
Of those players, 87 of them have records on AFL Tables for the number of behinds they have kicked.
Of these players (who I suspect most fall under the category of 'any decent footballer') Tom Hawkins sits 22nd for accuracy at 64.25%.
8 Players in the history of the game with 350+ goals have a percent about 66% (Eddie Betts is one of them).
Brendan Fevola sits 49th on this list.

btw... A player would need to kick at an average of about 70.5% on average for it to be the most likely result that they would score 2.0 from there.  I am sorry, but you are speaking based not at all on fact, but just on emotion and 'gut feel' that says they were sitters, when in fact they were anything but. Certainly goals that were well within Hawkins range (and other players), but absolutely nothing like the sodas you first mentioned and then tried to support.

#NameGoalsBehindsPercent
1Tony Lockett136059069.74
2Peter Hudson72733068.78
3Matthew Lloyd92642468.59
4Daniel Bradshaw52425567.27
5Doug Wade105752366.90
6Michael Roach60730666.48
7Jason Dunstall125464166.17
8Eddie Betts43122166.10
9Fraser Gehrig54928565.83
10Tony Modra58830865.63
11Scott Welsh36319265.41
12Paul Chapman36619665.12
13Peter McKenna87447065.03
14Mark LeCras35619264.96
15Paul Salmon56130364.93
16Roger Merrett43323564.82
17Darren Jarman38621064.77
18Jonathan Brown59432564.64
19Brian Taylor52728964.58
20Michael OLoughlin52128664.56
21Saverio Rocca74841164.54
22Tom Hawkins35419764.25
23Simon Beasley57532164.17
24Alastair Lynch63335763.94
25Barry Hall74642163.92
26Stephen Milne57432463.92
27Kelvin Templeton59333563.90
28Josh Kennedy40523263.58
29Brad Green35020163.52
30Jack Riewoldt45926663.31
31Simon Madden57533463.26
32Michael Moncrieff62936663.22
33David Neitz63136863.16
34John Longmire51129863.16
35Phillip Matera38922763.15
36Jeff Farmer48328562.89
37Craig Davis36021762.39
38Warwick Capper38823562.28
39Adam Goodes46428462.03
40Dermott Brereton46428561.95
41Matthew Pavlich68042561.54
42Wayne Carey72745761.40
43Drew Petrie41326161.28
44Peter Everitt38324261.28
45Brad Johnson55835561.12
46Stephen Kernahan73847161.04
47Nick Riewoldt66842860.95
48Jarryd Roughead49131560.92
49Brendan Fevola62340260.78
50Brent Harvey49732160.76
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #190
You must be retired like me, to have time to go to all that trouble and get those stats.

Anyway, bottom line is, I thought he should have kicked them. He didn't. We won. The number is in the frame. Correct weight has been declared. Now lets go have a drink. :D :D :D

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Patter: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #191
Not sure the purpose of this post Krud, honestly my comment on Malthouse wasn't specific to Kreuzer, Gibbs or anyone in particular. The post on Malthouse was on the intensity of playing football as a club, which they are absolutely doing under Bolton and absolutely were not under MM.
I never seen Carlton try less (even in our post Salary Cap breach years) then I did under MM.

I am simply happy to see Carlton trying and giving it all and Bolton is absolutely responsible for that.

All i am saying is that it was not ALL micks fault we sucked
and
It is not ALL Bolts doing that we are going ok.

As for haven't seen a worse side than under Mick? You've got a short memory.

I remember many a game under Pagan. 10 goal loss on average every 4 weeks. Including 1 against the tigers were we let them kick the first 13 goals of the match.

Credit where credit is due. But i think you have to give SOS a fair whack of credit for giving Bolts the players he has.

Reply #192
Not a short memory at all Krud.
Mick took a team that was premiership favorite at one stage the year before.
A team that had Betts, Waite, Garlett, Yarran and Walker firing under Yarran and turned them into a completely noncompetitive unit. A team Mick claimed was ready to challenge, the board claimed was ready to challenge and to be honest a list most people thought was firing until a horrible injury run.

Under Pagan our list was pretty awful for a long time and things we were dreadful, particularly towards the end, I am more than aware of that and don't need reminding as if to suggest I am overlooking that period at all, I doubt any Carlton supporter over 25 could possible ever forget that period.

Now I am not into all the debates that I have no doubt happen on this site about Mick and whether he was the problem or not, so I don't know people's opinions.

But I have mine.

Through the last 20 years we have had a number of people have absolutely horrible impacts on Carlton.
John Elliot
Ian Collins
Dennis Pagan

Are just a few (Sticks and a few of his tight knit cronies also were more bad than good unfortunately)

But number one to me and by a very long margin... Is our previous coach.
He ruined what was a very competitive list, ruined the chance to challenge in Judd's final years, seen good players turn absolutely awful. He had zero idea how to play a game plan to the strengths of our team and oversaw the departure of our entire forward line.

Bolton (imo) is absolutely categorically the reason for this turnaround. The player ARE buying into his message and this team is playing much better than I have seen in a long time and better than it EVER played under Malthouse, including the Richmond final.

Watching the team for the first time since the days of Ratts, it felt like we had extra players on the ground, we got more players to all the contests, something I have rued forever when we are on the receiving end of that. Now you don't have to think this is down to Bolton and no down all the assistants play their part, but I am 100% sure that if this team was led by Malthouse right now we would be at best 1 win from the first 10 (which is about where most pundits would have had us at the start of the season) and that is based on the exposed form from the last few years.

As for SOS, I don't have any doubt he has been doing his job and a few of the young guys he has brought in have done well. But it is the re-invigoration of the older players (we still have an old list on average age) that really sees us 5-5, though yes I do think SOS has done a great job
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #193
Not a short memory at all Krud.
Mick took a team that was premiership favorite at one stage the year before.
A team that had Betts, Waite, Garlett, Yarran and Walker firing under Yarran and turned them into a completely noncompetitive unit. A team Mick claimed was ready to challenge, the board claimed was ready to challenge and to be honest a list most people thought was firing until a horrible injury run.

Under Pagan our list was pretty awful for a long time and things we were dreadful, particularly towards the end, I am more than aware of that and don't need reminding as if to suggest I am overlooking that period at all, I doubt any Carlton supporter over 25 could possible ever forget that period.

Now I am not into all the debates that I have no doubt happen on this site about Mick and whether he was the problem or not, so I don't know people's opinions.

But I have mine.

Through the last 20 years we have had a number of people have absolutely horrible impacts on Carlton.
John Elliot
Ian Collins
Dennis Pagan

Are just a few (Sticks and a few of his tight knit cronies also were more bad than good unfortunately)

But number one to me and by a very long margin... Is our previous coach.
He ruined what was a very competitive list, ruined the chance to challenge in Judd's final years, seen good players turn absolutely awful. He had zero idea how to play a game plan to the strengths of our team and oversaw the departure of our entire forward line.

Bolton (imo) is absolutely categorically the reason for this turnaround. The player ARE buying into his message and this team is playing much better than I have seen in a long time and better than it EVER played under Malthouse, including the Richmond final.

Watching the team for the first time since the days of Ratts, it felt like we had extra players on the ground, we got more players to all the contests, something I have rued forever when we are on the receiving end of that. Now you don't have to think this is down to Bolton and no down all the assistants play their part, but I am 100% sure that if this team was led by Malthouse right now we would be at best 1 win from the first 10 (which is about where most pundits would have had us at the start of the season) and that is based on the exposed form from the last few years.

As for SOS, I don't have any doubt he has been doing his job and a few of the young guys he has brought in have done well. But it is the re-invigoration of the older players (we still have an old list on average age) that really sees us 5-5, though yes I do think SOS has done a great job

Bingo.

There's no doubt at all. 90% Mick's fault. 90% Bolton's credit.

Reply #194
Simplistic view IMO, not in yours.

We move on