Skip to main content
Topic: A New Game plan (Read 17894 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A New Game plan

Reply #15
I was just curious that Cripps specifically mentioned a "new game" plan.
Bolton has obviously outlined some type of general plan.
He would no doubt have worked closely with Silvagni in the time he's been at the club.... so they would have formulated a strategy as to the type of players to fit Bolton's plans.

Just looking at the draft selections and you get a feeling they may be looking at a Hawthorn 2004 type of rebuild.

One of the videos of training (perhaps the Jaksch interview) shows players in the background being walked through a play on the indoor footy ground.  I suspect a lot of work is being put into changing the way we have played over the past few seasons, and so there should be.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Dont expect it to change much either...the reality is SOS will want another batch of early draft picks for next seasons draft to get some more A grade quality into the club...

SOS's requirements may have to take second place to the club's need to improve attendances, memberships, TV scheduling, sponsorship and credibility.

I thought SOS's comment about the club not wanting more No 1 draft picks gave an indication that we're anticipating improvement.  Of course, he also hosed down expectations.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
I see new game plan as mostly a platitude. I hope the emphasis is more on working as a team and a relentless focus on skills. If you don't do these things well then no particular style of play is going to make much difference. I never thought the Malthouse kick it along the boundary style was much of a problem in itself.  If players had the skill and work rate where it needed to be then it would have gone unnoticed. Game plans and styles get alot of attention, but we seem to accept and excuse professional players being unable to kick off both feet.

Most of all, the club has to set higher standards in all areas. The club must make the all important transition from a coach setting expectations for the players, to a genuine team where all participants ask more of each other.

Reply #18
Most of the teams play the same way anyway.  The only thing that changes is context.

I noticed that Hawthorn moved the ball round the boundary at times.

It's horses for courses.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
The game plan show just how out of touch MMs ideas were.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #20
High possession and intelligent football. Maintaining possession and expending energy efficiently is going to be huge with the capped rotations. The W/L column may not change straight away but it'll be better in the long run.

Reply #21
Skills, composure and trust in your team mates have to be established before we can successfully execute any gameplan. Those aspects just disintegrated last season and must be rebuilt.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22
The game plan show just how out of touch MMs ideas were.

Yup, and he was taking his frustrations out on the club. We've come a long long way already since the grumpy turd has gone. Thank fork for that.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #23
Footy is not a complicated game.

First up, get your hands on the ball, then use it (quickly) and smartly!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #24
Footy is not a complicated game.

First up, get your hands on the ball, then use it (quickly) and smartly!

True flyboy.
Like the old Allan Jeans game plan which still works today.

There are only 3 options. . . . . 1, we've got the ball. 2, they've got the ball. 3, the ball is in limbo.

We just have to cut options 2 & 3. ;)
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #26
Simple in theory, but not so simple in practice.

It's simple in practice if you don't coach the hell on of the players and trust them to execute the things they do well.

MM didn't trust players, he wanted 22 robots who do his beck and call. But when opposition teams un-picked his game plan he would stand on the boundary and blame the robots. It seemed he blamed players for not being smart enough to ignore his plans, but if they did they got dropped. It was never the game plan's fault, the players were put in no win scenarios.

Apparently / allegedly the same thing was happening at Collingwood before MM got the kibosh, it's one of the alleged reasons why Eddie Everywhere came to the conclusion MMs time was up!

IMHO, there are too many coaches with "A Plan", and not enough coaches who actually develop the player's skills and maximise their output! FFS, MM seemingly had Judd tagging in one game, it's like asking Federer to be ball boy!

They are old fashioned ways, and time has past those ideas by, like when Pagan put Fev at fullback!

I'll be very disappointed if Bolton starts playing Cripps in the back pocket because he's having a bad day!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
It's simple in practice if you don't coach the hell on of the players and trust them to execute the things they do well.

MM didn't trust players, he wanted 22 robots who do his beck and call. But when opposition teams un-picked his game plan he would stand on the boundary and blame the robots. It seemed he blamed players for not being smart enough to ignore his plans, but if they did they got dropped. It was never the game plan's fault, the players were put in no win scenarios.

Apparently / allegedly the same thing was happening at Collingwood before MM got the kibosh, it's one of the alleged reasons why Eddie Everywhere came to the conclusion MMs time was up!

IMHO, there are too many coaches with "A Plan", and not enough coaches who actually develop the player's skills and maximise their output! FFS, MM seemingly had Judd tagging in one game, it's like asking Federer to be ball boy!

They are old fashioned ways, and time has past those ideas by, like when Pagan put Fev at fullback!

I'll be very disappointed if Bolton starts playing Cripps in the back pocket because he's having a bad day!

My point was that to get the required level of synchronicity between 18 players, for most of the game, plus taking into account rotations, injuries, opposition pressure etc. is very difficult to do. All AFL teams train long and hard, practicing their skills and everything else, but to get things looking as smooth as the Hawks do, is a real feat.

Reply #28
in our new game plan 2 differences i want to see .1 pressure on the oppostion ball carrier.2Delivery to our leading forwardS.

Reply #29
Delivery to our leading forwardS.

Just kicking it in their general direction would be nice, but having a leading forward would be even nicer! :o

A forward who has more than a isolated 2nd effort, I don't want to see Jones doing the "1, 2 Buckle My Shoe" sh1te.

I want repeat lead after repeat lead in the knowledge that if nothing else the last person standing wins the ball! Our club should sit Jones down, pry open his eyelids with toothpicks and press repeat play on the Jack Riewoldt highlight package until he gets the message!
The Force Awakens!