Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 25665 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #150
They are intimately connected, what you or I think is irrelevant, there is a message attached to some of those jumpers.

The Dawks jumper image you made comment on is a limited use targeted charitable strip, not a valid part of an argument about general use alternative strips, it is an extremist example.

As for alternate strips, clubs submit any number of options to the AFL, only the AFL has the power to decide which are approved. Why the AFL hasn't acted on Collingwood is a very different question. Some argued Carlton should do the same, but I suppose Collingwood isn't financially underwritten by the AFL like Carlton, who would have thought some external influence might have such effects! It must be a conspiracy!

Blah blah blah lets completely miss the point again.

I understand alternative strips, 1 off strips and all that nonsense.

That doesn't mean you come up with the ugliest jumper you can. Sombody had to choose that jumper. Somebody had to approve that jumper. They can do better. EOS.

Reply #151
Did I say that?  Both Carlton and Collingwood wore (wear) tributes on their jumpers and promoted the cause of the CLINIC as did the media.  It's been 20 matches thus far between the two clubs.  You're not to know but I've lost three family members in the last  two years to cancer ... prostate, breast, and recently, brain.  Think please before you press "enter".  I contribute to all three causes

Lots of us have lost family to such issues.

What is the point of labelling the use of a charitable jumper for something like the Peter Mac Cup nonsense, if we chose to do so?

Or that Hawks jumper in the case above, you did label it a nonsense, didn't you?

Relative to your history and other efforts wouldn't the consistent approach be support it regardless of the look.

Isn't the look relatively trivial in the greater cause, but yet it is a strong symbol of support?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #152

What is the point of labelling the use of a charitable jumper for something like the Peter Mac Cup nonsense, if we chose to do so?

Or that Hawks jumper in the case above, you did label it a nonsense, didn't you?

You don't read do you ... I DID NOT SAY THAT WITH REGARD TO THOSE PETER MAC JUMPERS !!

Our jumpers (as with the Collingwood guernsey) were understated but still receive big media coverage

Reply #153
You don't read do you ... I DID NOT SAY THAT WITH REGARD TO THOSE PETER MAC JUMPERS !!

Our jumpers (as with the Collingwood guernsey) were understated but still receive big media coverage

Capcom, you are making cross references to arguments that don't exist.

I wrote "......like Peter Mac Cup", in reference to the Hawks jumper in Kruddler's post that you commented below! I never accused you of bagging the Peter Mac Cup jumpers, or the lack of them!

If your post is referencing something different to the Hawks charitable jumper below, then make it an explicit reference!

It could be worse....

At least Carlton and Collingwood steered clear of this nonsense in the McCAllum cup

I've no choice than to assume the "this' in your post is a reference to the Hawks charitable jumper above it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154
We got pinged twice on Friday for stepping on the line while kicking in after a behind.

Looking at the footage I can't argue with the call - definitely there.

What is infuriating though is the number of times I've seen it happen in other games this round with no call. I think I even saw the umpire run up after the kick and warn the player that he was over the line.

Reply #155
Barb - saw both at the game and the right decisions were made - Simpson was trying to get it down the middle as far as he could, dunno what Daisy was thinking!

There have probably been two such decisions for the year!  Players are getting away with a lot more regarding fifty metre penalties not being paid for knocking the ball out of hands, and being late to the contest as well.

As a curiosity, we had a fifty paid against us where the interchange bench was.  Does anyone know if it was paid because a player coming onto the ground encroached the 10m zone?  If so, what a ridiculous rule - surely if they are not part of the play, who cares where they are - amend the rule so that you can be close, but not interfere in the play, if you do 50m.

Reply #156
Barb - saw both at the game and the right decisions were made - Simpson was trying to get it down the middle as far as he could, dunno what Daisy was thinking!

There have probably been two such decisions for the year!  Players are getting away with a lot more regarding fifty metre penalties not being paid for knocking the ball out of hands, and being late to the contest as well.

As a curiosity, we had a fifty paid against us where the interchange bench was.  Does anyone know if it was paid because a player coming onto the ground encroached the 10m zone?  If so, what a ridiculous rule - surely if they are not part of the play, who cares where they are - amend the rule so that you can be close, but not interfere in the play, if you do 50m.

Player coming off the ground encroached.

This decision is partly why we are where we are at regarding issues with rules.

No game sense from the umpires.  If someone isn't intefering with the bloke taking the kick, then maybe let it go.  I understand we don't want people going into the protected area for various reasons such as putting the kicker off, or perhaps finding an advantage to tackle when the opportunity presents but players coming off and on the ground through the designated interchange leaves people with few options.  1.  Take an extremely wide berth to interchange, or 2. Wait until after the kick has been taken.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #157
Thanks, Thry.  Basically can't have an interchange happen if there is a free/mark at the interchange, as there are limits as to where players can come on and off the ground?  Messy.

Reply #159
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-16/big-blue-talks-about-heart-breathing-scare

With Krooze going down the same way as Marchbank suggests the something is amiss with the medicos down at Princes Park.

Sounds like they were given 'something' but had an adverse reaction to it.  :o

I didn't read it that way. I read when Krooz said that "he never had something like it", he was referring to the symptoms.
I don't think there is any evidence, based on that article, that "they were given something".

Reply #160
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-16/big-blue-talks-about-heart-breathing-scare

With Krooze going down the same way as Marchbank suggests the something is amiss with the medicos down at Princes Park.

Sounds like they were given 'something' but had an adverse reaction to it.  :o

Wonder if they took something like "no-doz" or similar. Something got the catecholamines pumping from the adrenal glands.

Reply #161
Wonder if they took something like "no-doz" or similar. Something got the catecholamines pumping from the adrenal glands.

No Doz is classed by WADA as a category S6 Stimulant.

It's often wrongly reported as a blood test limit, but it is a urine test.

Can anyone be 100% safe taking high dose caffeine, every individuals body will probably process it slightly differently?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #162

Apparently SVT is very common  and “attacks often happen for no obvious reason. However, they may be triggered by a change in posture, exertion, emotional upset, coffee or alcohol.”

Putting in a hard sprint to get to a ruck contest could have been the trigger.  If I remember correctly, Kreuzer was involved in a heavy clash just before he went off.  Perhaps that was a factor  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #163
Apparently SVT is very common  and “attacks often happen for no obvious reason. However, they may be triggered by a change in posture, exertion, emotional upset, coffee or alcohol.”

Putting in a hard sprint to get to a ruck contest could have been the trigger. If I remember correctly, Kreuzer was involved in a heavy clash just before he went off.  Perhaps that was a factor  :-\

re Bold...
that was the statement from the club during the game. Replay showed he was tackled, but it was far from a tough tackle. You'd see much tougher tackles at training.

Reply #164
re Bold...
that was the statement from the club during the game. Replay showed he was tackled, but it was far from a tough tackle. You'd see much tougher tackles at training.

You’re probably right but he did struggle to get up.  Perhaps the SVT kicked in before that clash  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball