Skip to main content
Topic: A New Game plan (Read 17563 times) previous topic - next topic

A New Game plan

In among the discussion of his increase in height the other day Patrick Cripps had this to say...

There's a real positive sort of vibe around the joint. I think Bolts is going to be really good for the group.....a new game plan is going to get the best out of a lot of people.

So what will be the new approach.
You would think there would be a strong Hawthorn influence but...
This is an opportunity for Bolton to put some of his own strategies into practice.

In very simplistic terms...rightly or wrongly...One of the criticisms of both Pagan and Malthouse was that they tried to make the players adapt and play to 'their' game plan, rather than choose a game plan that suited the skills and abilities of the list at the time.

Ratten seemed to adopt a different approach in that his strategy seemed to be to let the list play to their strengths...The criticism of that was that such a plan didn't stand up under certain circumstances...particularly finals pressure. ("that type of football will never win you a flag was a constant theme")

So it's over to Bolton...

How will he approach it?
How will our significant list changes impact on those strategies.

Re: A New Game plan

Reply #1
Shame, the old game used to help get me to sleep.

Hawthorn's game centered around getting their big forwards cleanish ball to their advantage.

The issue we have with that is we lack the mids to carry that out let alone the forwards.

We marvel at Hawthorn's skill but that is 10 years in the making and resulted in some very ugly football in the first 3 years. Not sure we have the patience and Bolts the runs on the board to weather that period.

He'll need his own ideas, that's for sure.

Reply #2
I reckon we'll see players working harder to create space and time for better delivery to the forwards.

I would be very surprised if we don't adopt more of a Hawthorn gamestyle but with modifications to suit the strengths and cover the limitations of our list.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Shame, the old game used to help get me to sleep.

I actually fell asleep for the first time ever watching Carlton vs Collingwood in 2014.

No more long down the boundary, those who fail to move the ball on quickly will fast become obsolete.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
There was a phrase that Bolton used very soon after he got the job, which I very much like :

"collective offense, collective defense"

Possibly glib, possibly cliched, but if the team can play to that, every minute of every game, I'll be happy.  

Reply #5
There was a phrase that Bolton used very soon after he got the job, which I very much like :

"collective offense, collective defense"

Possibly glib, possibly cliched, but if the team can play to that, every minute of every game, I'll be happy.

We need a simple phrase that symbolises our approach and reminds our guys at all times what is expected. If that one works then it's a good one.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
In among the discussion of his increase in height the other day Patrick Cripps had this to say...

So what will be the new approach.
You would think there would be a strong Hawthorn influence but...
This is an opportunity for Bolton to put some of his own strategies into practice.

In very simplistic terms...rightly or wrongly...One of the criticisms of both Pagan and Malthouse was that they tried to make the players adapt and play to 'their' game plan, rather than choose a game plan that suited the skills and abilities of the list at the time.

Ratten seemed to adopt a different approach in that his strategy seemed to be to let the list play to their strengths...The criticism of that was that such a plan didn't stand up under certain circumstances...particularly finals pressure. ("that type of football will never win you a flag was a constant theme")

So it's over to Bolton...

How will he approach it?
How will our significant list changes impact on those strategies.

The problem is Lods, when you have a group of kids who are only learning the game. How do we build a game plan around kids when we don't know how they play?!

As mentioned elsewhere though, it will be team focussed, you can guarantee that much. Although Micks gameplan was said to be similar in that regard, 'play your role...whatever that may be'...i think Bolton will be even more specific in his needs. Think Clarkos cluster (18 players working as 1). Don't do your job and it stands out immediately.

I just hope our boys have the dedication to follow it through. Getting rid of the 3 blokes we did will help (Yazz, Menzel + Hendo).

Reply #7
The problem is Lods, when you have a group of kids who are only learning the game. How do we build a game plan around kids when we don't know how they play?!

As mentioned elsewhere though, it will be team focussed, you can guarantee that much. Although Micks gameplan was said to be similar in that regard, 'play your role...whatever that may be'...i think Bolton will be even more specific in his needs. Think Clarkos cluster (18 players working as 1). Don't do your job and it stands out immediately.

I just hope our boys have the dedication to follow it through. Getting rid of the 3 blokes we did will help (Yazz, Menzel + Hendo).

I was just curious that Cripps specifically mentioned a "new game" plan.
Bolton has obviously outlined some type of general plan.
He would no doubt have worked closely with Silvagni in the time he's been at the club.... so they would have formulated a strategy as to the type of players to fit Bolton's plans.

Just looking at the draft selections and you get a feeling they may be looking at a Hawthorn 2004 type of rebuild.

Reply #8
I was just curious that Cripps specifically mentioned a "new game" plan.
Bolton has obviously outlined some type of general plan.
He would no doubt have worked closely with Silvagni in the time he's been at the club.... so they would have formulated a strategy as to the type of players to fit Bolton's plans.

Just looking at the draft selections and you get a feeling they may be looking at a Hawthorn 2004 type of rebuild.

I think you are looking too deeply into Lods.

From a teenage kid with a potentially limited vocabulary, a "new game plan" could mean...
- a new philosophy. 
- a new set of team rules
- the new buzz words they are told to spit out by higher ups to appease supporters. ;)

I'd be pretty staggered if they have an entirely new game plan (akin to clarkos cluster) before we even have a finished list.

As for the hawthorn type rebuild, i reckon you can do that without a game plan.
Just look at where the holes are in our list.
I identified that there was large gaping holes in our KP stocks, both in senior players and players coming through. I also suggested we should start recruiting them earlier than we should other potential holes (mids etc) given KPP take at least 1 year longer to come on by comparison.

Where to for here to follow the hawthorn plan? Identify further holes and draft/trade accordingly.

I reckon we need at least 1 more KP forward/back depending on how or IF, Jaksch can hold down a role there.

Reply #9
We'll be a different team next year Kruds
We'll play a different way.
Not all these guys we recruited last night will be ready to go
But those we've traded for will be.

Reply #10
We'll be a different team next year Kruds
We'll play a different way.
Not all these guys we recruited last night will be ready to go
But those we've traded for will be.

Not doubting that. Point i was attempting to make is....how quickly can you get a group to learn an entirely new game plan....especially when some of the group hasn't even returned to training yet AFAIK, and the list hasn't been finalised.
I expect bolts to work quick, but that's warp speed!

Reply #11
Not doubting that. Point i was attempting to make is....how quickly can you get a group to learn an entirely new game plan....especially when some of the group hasn't even returned to training yet AFAIK, and the list hasn't been finalised.
I expect bolts to work quick, but that's warp speed!

All he needs to do over the season is show some improvement and show us a plan that fits the playing group and is a plan the group embrace

Reply #12
4 wins and a percentage of 65%. The bar is pretty low but I suspect the club wouldn't be too fussed with around about the same result.

Reply #13
We'll go better than that based on nothing more than a bit of stability

Reply #14
4 wins and a percentage of 65%. The bar is pretty low but I suspect the club wouldn't be too fussed with around about the same result.

Dont expect it to change much either...the reality is SOS will want another batch of early draft picks for next seasons draft to get some more A grade quality into the club...