Skip to main content
Topic: Worst Leaders in the AFL! (Read 136254 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Worst Leaders in the AFL!

Reply #330
I think Murphy is being judged against the type of Captain the club needs, rather than the type of captain he is.
ATM we need someone in the tough nut, rev em up and rip em a new one mould, whereas he is the silent, follow my lead type. He would be very effective in a different environment, but I don't think he is doing himself justice here.

Having said that, he is not to blame for that issue. We don't really have the type of player that fits the bill right now, so by default he is put in to the captain role as probably our best player. It is made all the more stark at present by a lack of form on his part, but form is temporary and his class will shine through.

Reply #331
Interesting observation from Wayne Carey tonight.  He said that Richmond and Carlton supporters were noteworthy for the way in which they unfairly blame Cotchin and Murphy when the team performs poorly.

I'm not that familiar with Cotchin's treatment by Richmond supporters but I reckon Carey has a point when it comes to Murphy.

Tiger fans really give it to Cotchin far more than we give it to Murph. Apparently he's a turnover merchant that racks up a lot of unnecessary stats by running behind players and demanding the ball.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #332
I was watching Melbs Nathan Jones go about it last night and was thinking I wish our captain played aggressive like that. Actually I wish any of our players played aggressive like that. ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #333
You know Robbo is a very similar player, possibly a little less polished.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #334
I was watching Melbs Nathan Jones go about it last night and was thinking I wish our captain played aggressive like that. Actually I wish any of our players played aggressive like that. ::)
Cripps and Bell dont mind a bit of the rough stuff, but we really need more enforcers like Lewis and Hodge that can still get heaps of the footy

Reply #335

Jones gave Murphy a bath last year. Very underrated player, would be a star in a good team.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #336
Jones gave Murphy a bath last year. Very underrated player, would be a star in a good team.

Very much agree. Been a fan for a couple of seasons now. Apart from the toughness, has a bit of silk as well.

Reply #337

It wasn't just in the game either.
Before it he was stalking the rooms, pumping up the players.

Reply #338
It wasn't just in the game either.
Before it he was stalking the rooms, pumping up the players.

Actually getting him on board would be great for us as he has been through the bad times with the Dees and has not been bowed by the experience. Fat chance unfortunately, but he is just the type we badly need.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #339
Actually getting him on board would be great for us as he has been through the bad times with the Dees and has not been bowed by the experience. Fat chance unfortunately, but he is just the type we badly need.

We have a culture of gun players getting the job done for the team, our captain has almost always been our best player and match winner who can also get all the boys down to the pub - which is probably why Murph is getting criticism - he's not winning games for us (unfair as it might be). The hard task is shifting the mindset to our leaders getting others to perform at their best rather than trying to do even more themselves.

I'd like to see 2 or 3 kids given spots on the leadership next year and look at giving them pretty strong leadership mentoring.

Reply #340
We have a culture of gun players getting the job done for the team, our captain has almost always been our best player and match winner who can also get all the boys down to the pub - which is probably why Murph is getting criticism - he's not winning games for us (unfair as it might be). The hard task is shifting the mindset to our leaders getting others to perform at their best rather than trying to do even more themselves.

I'd like to see 2 or 3 kids given spots on the leadership next year and look at giving them pretty strong leadership mentoring.

I have been critical of Murphy as a leader but if he can back up week in week our what he did today I would complain.

He was in hard at every single contest when the game was drifting away from us early. He got hammered by the opposition but still ran his heart out and was pivotal in 'leading' us back into the game. Played a Selwood type game today.

Was the closest I have seen from him to the pre shoulder injury days.

Hats off to him today challenge now is to back it up next week.

Reply #341
I have been critical of Murphy as a leader but if he can back up week in week our what he did today I would complain.

He was in hard at every single contest when the game was drifting away from us early. He got hammered by the opposition but still ran his heart out and was pivotal in 'leading' us back into the game. Played a Selwood type game today.

Was the closest I have seen from him to the pre shoulder injury days.

Hats off to him today challenge now is to back it up next week.

Malthouse spoke very well about Murphy's leadership in his press conference today.  While I don't always agree with what he has to say, I reckon he's a lot better at judging Murphy's leadership than most of the armchair critics  ::)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #342
Malthouse spoke very well about Murphy's leadership in his press conference today.  While I don't always agree with what he has to say, I reckon he's a lot better at judging Murphy's leadership than most of the armchair critics  ::)

I thought Murphy was pretty good today in terms of his onfield example, which is all I can see really.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #343
Give it a few seasons and Cripps will be captain or at least be in the leadership group. I can't say too many bad things about Murphy on todays game.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #344
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2015-04-28/cripps-thankful-for-nomination

Watching this interview with young Cripps from earlier in the week, he has captaincy written all over him.

Well spoken, down to earth & was the VC for the WA U/18 team, he will be our next captain for sure, you can bookmark that one right now.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"