Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey Scorpions (Read 15212 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey Scorpions

Next Sunday, down at Casey, at 1400 the Baby Blues get a chance to redeem themselves after the setback they experienced this week.
There will be a number of questions, basically in who, if any, of the missing Carlton listed players come back.
Walker, Sheehan, etc, have to come up this week.

The Development team get to play Casey again, at 1100 as a curtain raiser. Scorpions: I can't seem to be able to spell at the moment.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey Scorpians

Reply #1
With Carlton playing on Saturday and the NBs playing on Sunday, all 3 emergencies should play (for the 1st time this year)! That should bolster the squad for starters. Then guys like Silvagni, Buckley, Charlie Curnow, Walker, Sheehan, Smith and McCasker could well be available as well.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey Scorpians

Reply #2
With Carlton playing o Saturday and the NBs playing on Sunday, all 3 emergencies should play (for the 1st time this year)! That should bolster the squad for starters. Then guys like Silvagni, Buckley, Charlie Curnow, Walker, Sheehan, Smith and McCasker could well be available as well.

We'll need lots of CFC blokes for this one Capt CRASH. Casey are 2nd top and playing very good footy. I'm looking forward to getting along to this one. Added to the side that took the field on Saturday you'd hope to see (apart from the blokes you mentioned) Boekhorst, Tutt, Cuningham, Whiley and Gowers.

(So, potentially, we should be able to add Boekhorst, Buckley, Cuningham, Curnow, McCasker, Sheehan, Silvagni, Smith, Tutt, Walker and Whiley!)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: VFL Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey Scorpions

Reply #3
From the AFL website:

Player                 Injury  Estimated Return
Blaine Boekhorst  Hamstring Test
Dylan Buckley      Calf Test
Patrick Cripps      Calf Test
David Cuningham Hip 1 week
Charlie Curnow     Illness TBC
Harry McKay *     Back 5 weeks
Ciaran Sheehan    Hip 1 week
Andrew Walker     Calf Test
Jacob Weitering   Shoulder 2-3 weeks
Mark Whiley        Calf Test

No mention of Glass-McCasker at all. Nor Gowers. However, most of the 'test' cases will probably play. As for Ciaran Sheehan, who knows?

But there will be a few stronger Carlton players playing this week. (My typing: :(  The original version had 'laying', not 'playing'. Was that a Freudian Slip, or was I remembering Brad Pearce? Whatever it was, I'd better get my act together: this is a "G" rated site. :) )

The only thing I will know for certain is that the team named will have relatively little correspondence with the team that actually plays. Just as long as it is a bit better than last week.

No significant injuries at Melbourne, so the Scorpions should be pretty strong on paper.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4

Reply #5
Where is SOS??
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #6
Where is SOS??
Damn good question!
Even so, the side is looking considerably stronger than the one that took the field last week. Of course, that doesn't mean it will look anything like what has been named, but that is another tale.

I do like that graphic: thanks, Pinot. Much better than my simple list.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Casey Scorpions vs Northern Blues        
Sunday 8th May, 2016
Casey Fields at 2.00pm

Casey Scorpions

B: 62. D Terlich 81. L Dunn 70. B Newton
HB: 6. J Munro 1. J Hutchins 75. C Dawes
C: 79. J Smith 54. J Trengove 80. J Grimes
HF: 73. S Frost 74. O McDonald 53. M King
F: 49. S Weideman 20. T Smith 15. D Keilty
R: 59. J Spencer 72. A Neal-Bullen 17. E Morris
Int: 3. C Ambler 43. D Johnston 5. P Pattison 16. J Gains 58. M White 27. A Scott 2. K Wilson 7. B Rutherford
23P: 32. J Briggs

To be honest, this line-up look ridiculously strong, even if some guys go out to Melbourne seniors. There have been weaker looking senior line-ups from Melbourne most weeks in the last decade.

Northern Blues

B: 11. K McGuinness 27. M Jamison 26. M Dick
HB: 7. D Buckley 31. J Foster 4. S Russell
C: 12. B Boekhorst 65. D Viojo 76. J Tutt
HF: 23. H Kerbatieh 18. D Gorringe 10. T Totevski
F: 48. K Jaksch 29. B Casley 67. C Smith
R: 36. C Wood 32. N Graham 1. T Wilson
Int: 38. B Gowers 22. D Aujla 37. T Jones 50. B Jordan 12. Z Ballard 80. M Korcheck 6. G Strachan 54. C McCabe

23P 24. T Roos

Hopefully we can put in more of a 4 quarter effort, instead of a 1.5 to 2 quarter effort.

Casey Scorpions vs Northern Blues
Sunday 8th May, 2016
Casey Fields at 11.00am

Casey Scorpions

B: 28. L Hannon 41. W Collis 17. E Morris
HB: 12. J Lovett 8. T Vander Haar 42. F Anderson
C: 3. C Ambler 9. T Muir 39. J Di Pasquale
HF: 24. J Moncrieff 35. A Ferreira 79. J Smith
F: 16. J Gains 18. B Hillard 47. D Collis
R: 25. O McInerney 10. A Cotte 43. D Johnston
Int: 34. L Beacom 23. M Cox 26. D Johnston 21. L Batten 7. B Rutherford 40. T Wyatt 19. C Stockdale 22. K Mason 33. C MacHaya 31. T Baker 37. Y.Jaffer-Williams 38. D.Gordon

Northern Blues

B: 71. J Caruana 50. B Jordan 78. M Walson
HB: 54. C McCabe 35. K Declase 22. D Aujla
C: 45. D Stevens 5. J Cyster 6. G Strachan
HF: 41. J Cripps 70. S Peet 38. B Gowers
F: 80. M Korcheck 30. S Bolger 53. H Payne
R: 73. A Aurrichio 21. C Barrett 12. Z Ballard
Int: 82. D Iermano 9. J Corboy 77. L Hickey 13. C Adams 40. B Droessler 74. B Malual 72. M Reyment 52. J Booth 61. L McVeigh 64. L Jacques 16. J Thorpe

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
Jamo won't be playing, as he got a call up against Collingwood. Hope to see the effort, even though Casey look very strong on paper.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #9
Jamo won't be playing, as he got a call up against Collingwood. Hope to see the effort, even though Casey look very strong on paper.

Won't be optimistic heading to the game in terms of result and weather!

But, as usual, my first focus will be our players.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10
Clem Smith needs some big games.....reckon he has gone under the radar in terms of being in trouble for a new contract , doesnt seem to get more than 10 possies a game
and while he gives effort its not enough to keep him on the list given he doesnt really have any real weapons in his game..

Reply #11

I didn't notice Jamo after the 3Q today (maybe didn't play even earlier) - anyone know anything? BB said after the game he didn't think we had any injuries.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
I didn't notice Jamo after the 3Q today (maybe didn't play even earlier) - anyone know anything? BB said after the game he didn't think we had any injuries.
Jamo was playing, depending on the matchups. He didn't get much ball, but he did a solid defensive job. He spent more time on the bench depending on how Cox and whatnots fit into the forward structure.
To be honest, I don't know if he was 100% fit: after a big crunch like last week I would have given him the week off. However, he managed and did a job.
One of the problems we experience is that our club does play funny buggers with the injury news. Nobody can be 100% certain what is happening, because the club only talks about the injuries it WANTS people to know about. But from how I recall him moving, I was more worried about Daisy Thomas. For a while he looked like he was in trouble. But he came back and played out the game.....

To change the subject somewhat, it is going to be very interesting to see how the boys manage what will be very heavy conditions down at Casey. I am not overly confident about how Clem Smith will go: he hasn't shown me that he is a wet weather player yet. Nor has Boekhorst or Gorringe. On the other hand, I am looking forward to see how Graham does. He was a little stiff to be dropped and has played some good games in slippery conditions.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
Thanks Crash. We also were concerned about Daisy for a while and we were relieved to see him come back out looking OK.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
Thanks Crash. We also were concerned about Daisy for a while and we were relieved to see him come back out looking OK.
Totally understandable. My heart was in my mouth when I saw him there clutching his shoulder and not getting up. But then clutched just about everything else, so I had no idea where he actually hurt.
He was certainly quieter afterwards, but he did a good job and managed to get up the nose of the Collingwood supporters. He would not be unhappy with how things went.

Just looked on twitter and the Development team are being pounded. But they are kicking against the tide.
NB 0 - 0 - 0
Casey 10 - 1 - 61

Oh No! We just scored! A rushed behind! :)
Live Long and Prosper!