Skip to main content
Topic: For Discussion (Read 29925 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: For Discussion

Reply #75
It wasn't rocket science GIC.  Just a considered appraisal of the list and factoring in the impact of a competent coach.

I didn't pick our wins over Freo and Geelong and thought we'd beat St Kilda (twice) and Brisbane.  St Kilda is clearly a little ahead of where I rated them.
Dunno about StK DJ. I wouldn't compare us to them based on how we played against them. Our 4 qtrs vs them in game 2 were utterly putrid. A VFL would have made a better fist of it. We continued those 4 shockers with another 2 vs Bris. Rectified that in the 3rd and 4th and played 4 solid qtrs vs Melb. Prior to the StK game, we played really well vs WC, Syd and Haw and unfortunately couldn't carry that form vs a side closer to us. What it would have taught our group was what they need to bring week in week out if you want success in the AFL.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #76
Dunno about StK DJ. I wouldn't compare us to them based on how we played against them. Our 4 qtrs vs them in game 2 were utterly putrid. A VFL would have made a better fist of it. We continued those 4 shockers with another 2 vs Bris. Rectified that in the 3rd and 4th and played 4 solid qtrs vs Melb. Prior to the StK game, we played really well vs WC, Syd and Haw and unfortunately couldn't carry that form vs a side closer to us. What it would have taught our group was what they need to bring week in week out if you want success in the AFL.

I think that St Kilda's development is a little more advanced in that they are more consistent.  Our best is probably as good as the Saints but our worst is really bad.  I am expecting more consistent footy from us next year as well as an improved list from both development and informed drafting/trading.  I'm not sure that St Kilda will continue to progress, at least at the same rate.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
I had to check back to see if I made a prediction of how many we'd win. I saw I didn't but my predictions was 8 wins. I was right! Anyone believe me? ;D.

Oh, was I supposed to predict back in December?..lol.

Reply #78
I think that St Kilda's development is a little more advanced in that they are more consistent.  Our best is probably as good as the Saints but our worst is really bad.  I am expecting more consistent footy from us next year as well as an improved list from both development and informed drafting/trading.  I'm not sure that St Kilda will continue to progress, at least at the same rate.
Would you agree though the we have played less "really bad" qtrs than last year? It would be interesting to analyse the 84 qtrs played this year and determine how many were in that really bad category compared to last year. But yes, you are correct, StK have been more consistent than us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #79
Saints have more firepower up forward than us and some of their kids are more advanced.....they also have Carlisle to come into the team....
I'd also suggest they are a destination club now they are on the rise....and will attract players on the move who think they will play finals sooner than later.

Reply #80
Saints have more firepower up forward than us and some of their kids are more advanced.....they also have Carlisle to come into the team....
I'd also suggest they are a destination club now they are on the rise....and will attract players on the move who think they will play finals sooner than later.

For some unknown reason we seem to have lost out to them in recent years. Carlisle, membrey, rice to name a few. I do t see it but some folks obviously like the long drive to and from training

Reply #81
Would you agree though the we have played less "really bad" qtrs than last year? It would be interesting to analyse the 84 qtrs played this year and determine how many were in that really bad category compared to last year. But yes, you are correct, StK have been more consistent than us.

Definitely!  And we'll play even less next season as Bolton and Co instil greater determination to apply consistent effort.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #82
Definitely!  And we'll play even less next season as Bolton and Co instil greater determination to apply consistent effort.
And I honestly believe this is what will have us climb the ladder next year moreso than any new draftees. Big PS, consolidation of roles and game plan, some luck with injury (CC and Big H) and next year could be brighter than people think. The loss of Murphy was huge to our structure. Byrne was awesome also prior to the knee injury. Our back six (2E, Doc, Simmo, JW, Rowey, Plow) has performed very well and should be left alone to continue to get the job done. Only 2E may get pushed out, if we draft a better defender, and used more in the midfield.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #83
Yes kudous to our back 6.
At the end of r22 we had least points against out of all bottom 9 teams.
I was most impressed with that pointless statistic :o
It does, however, give us confidence that our defense is shaping up nicely. And its happened very quickly with some injury woes in Jamo and Byrne.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #84
Yes kudous to our back 6.
It does, however, give us confidence that our defense is shaping up nicely. And its happened very quickly with some injury woes in Jamo and Byrne.
True although poor old Jamo never really got going this year. Imagine a Jamo in the form of a few years back in that back line nurturing Weiters.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #85
Didn't expect us to win four games let alone 7 or 8.

However, my key point about the development of the players individually & collectively rang true.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #86
Didn't expect us to win four games let alone 7 or 8.

However, my key point about the development of the players individually & collectively rang true.

To some extent that's more important than the wins.  However, Bolton is about building the confidence and culture of the club, not just the playing group, and I think that our competitive efforts will lay a solid foundation for improved performances next season.

Reply #87
To some extent that's more important than the wins.  However, Bolton is about building the confidence and culture of the club, not just the playing group, and I think that our competitive efforts will lay a solid foundation for improved performances next season.

Yes I agree. As far as our list goes, I was looking through it yesterday and we have a few young blokes coming through who look very promising. Add in a few newbies this year and, assuming SoS keeps up his good work, next year should see further improvements. Light on the horizon!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #88

Would be good....if it were true! :P

14th Carlton - 1875
11th Port Adelaide - 1873
10th Melbourne - 1836
12th Collingwood - 1886 (Only 11 points worse off)

Points for is a little disturbing...
Carlton - 1489
Essendon - 1334
Fremante - 1505 (16 points better)
then daylight to everyone else.

In short, we are worse offensively then we are good defensively.....if that makes sense.

Reply #89
Anyone know whatever happened to Barb? Was our biggest supporter in the outer back in the 90s but can't remember the last time I saw her at a game. Was always good fun watching her in action