Skip to main content
Topic: Off again (Read 4367 times) previous topic - next topic

Off again

My previous attempt at the Madigan Line across the northern Simpson Desert in 2016 failed because the desert was more lake than desert.  This year the Simpson has received its normal low rainfall but heavy rain from further north has got the Cooper and other watercourses flowing.  That suggests that we'll have normal desert conditions to contend with when my companions and I have another go at the Madigan Line.

The trip starts on Sunday and I'll be away for three weeks.  It will be ironic if we get a couple of wins while I'm away  :P

As usual, I will be relying on CSC posters to keep me up to date with what's happening at our great club, even if I don't get to read your posts for a couple of weeks after the event.

Go Blues!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Off again

Reply #1
Bon voyage.

The Madigan Line is a wise choice - the French Line is like Bourke St these days.

I'm pretty much grounded for the foreseeable future due to family illness.  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
Madigan, French line, sounds like a WWII battlefield out there, pardon my ignorance on all things Simpson Desert etc.. :-[

Good luck DJ, safe trip and enjoy your break..... 8)

Reply #3
Bon voyage.

The Madigan Line is a wise choice - the French Line is like Bourke St these days.

I'm pretty much grounded for the foreseeable future due to family illness.  :(

Hope that illness isnt anything too serious Cookie and the family are all back trekking soon.......drove over for a week to Victor Harbour about a month
ago and that was enough driving /trekking for me and the Mrs, like my roads sealed and civilisation in sight.. :P ;)

Reply #4
Have a good trip DJC.

I,m jealous.
I've done the Simpson a few times and love it.

The Madigan Line is a lot less travelled than the French and this is the time of the year to go.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #5
Farewell and good luck!  You won't be missing anything for the next few weeks unless things change drastically.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
I’m back ... well, almost back. Mildura tonight and back to the Bellarine Peninsula tomorrow - probably not in time to get to the game (not that I’d get a leave pass after 3 weeks away).

The desert was magnificent and the new truck handled it with ease ????

I missed our glorious win over Essenscum and our very disappointing loss to the Demons.  I haven’t yet summoned the courage to read the post-game thread!

Anyway, I have had a great time but it will be good to be home.  Hopefully my footy club can pull off a few more wins now that I’m back.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
My previous attempt at the Madigan Line across the northern Simpson Desert in 2016 failed because the desert was more lake than desert.  This year the Simpson has received its normal low rainfall but heavy rain from further north has got the Cooper and other watercourses flowing.  That suggests that we'll have normal desert conditions to contend with when my companions and I have another go at the Madigan Line.

The trip starts on Sunday and I'll be away for three weeks.  It will be ironic if we get a couple of wins while I'm away  :P

As usual, I will be relying on CSC posters to keep me up to date with what's happening at our great club, even if I don't get to read your posts for a couple of weeks after the event.

Go Blues!

If we win our games while you're away you're not coming back...lol.

Have a great trip!

Reply #8
I’m back ... well, almost back. Mildura tonight and back to the Bellarine Peninsula tomorrow - probably not in time to get to the game (not that I’d get a leave pass after 3 weeks away).

The desert was magnificent and the new truck handled it with ease ????

I missed our glorious win over Essenscum and our very disappointing loss to the Demons.  I haven’t yet summoned the courage to read the post-game thread!

Anyway, I have had a great time but it will be good to be home.  Hopefully my footy club can pull off a few more wins now that I’m back.

Welcome home, David! Congratulations... big effort. What's your new truck? I recall the old one in the driveway at BH... We've moved bush and need to update to the appropriate wheels. Thinking of getting a low kms diesel CX-5...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
Sounds like the voyage was indeed bon. Welcome back!

Reply #10
Welcome home, David! Congratulations... big effort. What's your new truck? I recall the old one in the driveway at BH... We've moved bush and need to update to the appropriate wheels. Thinking of getting a low kms diesel CX-5...

Thanks Baggers ????

The Jeep died after our last Madigan attempt.  It was very ????

The new truck is a 79 Series Toyota Landcruiser twin cab with tray.  It’s ideal around the farm and great in the bush.  It had the best economy on the desert crossing; 14.9l/100km where the 200 Series Landcruisers were getting 22!

Reply #11
Sounds like the voyage was indeed bon. Welcome back!

Thanks Cookie ????

It was a great trip.  It’s a lot harder going east to west but we’ll worth it.  We live in a wonderful country with unbelievable landscapes and I got to see a lot of what the desert has to offer ???? and then a taste of the Flinders Ranges ????

Reply #12
Thanks Baggers ????

The Jeep died after our last Madigan attempt.  It was very ????

The new truck is a 79 Series Toyota Landcruiser twin cab with tray.  It’s ideal around the farm and great in the bush.  It had the best economy on the desert crossing; 14.9l/100km where the 200 Series Landcruisers were getting 22!

A good choice of truck if I may say so DJC. I had a 78 series 1HZ troopy for years, which served me very well on numerous challenging trips. The fuel economy was also remarkable especially on the long highway sections due to its high 5th cruising gear. The other positive I found was the very low rate of depreciation - got an excellent price for it when I eventually let it go.

It sounds like it was a wonderful trip - hoping to get back to it myself someday.

Reply #13
Thanks Cookie ????

It was a great trip.  It’s a lot harder going east to west but we’ll worth it.  We live in a wonderful country with unbelievable landscapes and I got to see a lot of what the desert has to offer ???? and then a taste of the Flinders Ranges ????

Good to see you enjoyed it DJC.

I agree, east to west is the best way to go. The dunes are steeper but shorter in distance and you don't have the sun in your eyes
in the mornings.
I love the Simpson. 8)
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.