Skip to main content
Topic: Cripps on the couch (Read 15015 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cripps on the couch

Reply #30
See I don't get that....and it it just a matter of opinion

Cripps is there at the moment
Docherty is on the bench.
Hard to make a judgement.

I reckon Docherty is just the type of captain we need.
A grade player, but also a coach in waiting.
Let Cripps concentrate on being a superstar.

The reality is though, that this decision will be made a lot closer to the action, and the players and coaches who know better than we do will make that choice.
I'll be happy with that.

My view is based on the perception of the public and media.........I have no doubt Cripps is seen as the most important player at the club and the one who win games.......his caricature is on every piece of marketing too.
Docherty is a fine player but not capable of being the inspiration that Cripps is IMO.......he is Mr sensible, Mr reliable,  but none too exciting.......
IMO the club heavyweights will make the choice and the captain will be as much about the off field as the on field and by that who pulls more members through the door and who they can market for max effect and IMO there is only one winner and by a fair way...

Reply #31
EB, Tom Harley and Nick Maxwell were not the pin up boys at their clubs - I don't remember the media going into meltdown during their captaincy.

I just think the captain needs to be the one who has the best chance of capturing the hearts and minds of the players, who can keep their cool and make the right decisions at the right time, someone the coach can trust to do the right thing, and someone who can steady the ship when required. There is a certain brains v brawn aspect to this. It's about more than media pets and bulldozing around the stoppages. At least IMO.

Reply #32
Swans had 3 in 2005

I had to go back and research that.

Apparently that is incorrect. They had 6. Kinda.
But that was only because their actual captain stood down mid-season.
https://www.smh.com.au/news/AFL/Why-Swans-chose-six-captains/2005/05/11/1115585031843.html

Sydney yesterday named six captains who will rotate the role for the final 15 rounds - and the finals if necessary.

The sextet will fill the vacancy left by Stuart Maxfield, who relinquished the captaincy last week after announcing he would spend half the week in Melbourne with his children.

The six - who will each captain the side for at least two weeks - are members of Sydney's nine-man leadership group. They are Brett Kirk, who led the team last week against Essendon and will do so again on Sunday against Port Adelaide, Leo Barry, Jude Bolton, Adam Goodes, Barry Hall and Ben Mathews.

It was forced upon them somewhat.

Reply #33
EB, Tom Harley and Nick Maxwell were not the pin up boys at their clubs - I don't remember the media going into meltdown during their captaincy.

I just think the captain needs to be the one who has the best chance of capturing the hearts and minds of the players, who can keep their cool and make the right decisions at the right time, someone the coach can trust to do the right thing, and someone who can steady the ship when required. There is a certain brains v brawn aspect to this. It's about more than media pets and bulldozing around the stoppages. At least IMO.

Thats what i was getting at earlier...

It depends which way the club want to go.
Game-day heroics
or
Off-field managers of the group.

2 completely different types of captain.

Lately, we've always gone the first option.
I'd almost prefer the latter.

Reply #34
Maxwell and Harley were appointed for factional reasons........different kettle of fish.....

Collingwood and Geelong had several player groups and these two were neutrals acceptable by all parties.......

One other determining factor maybe who actually wants the job.....Cripps or Docherty may not be comfortable taking the job on.....

Reply #35
Maxwell and Harley were appointed for factional reasons........different kettle of fish.....

Collingwood and Geelong had several player groups and these two were neutrals acceptable by all parties.......

One other determining factor maybe who actually wants the job.....Cripps or Docherty may not be comfortable taking the job on.....

...and why were these 2 groups created? The previous captain inadvertently created them?? ;)

Reply #36
...and why were these 2 groups created? The previous captain inadvertently created them?? ;)

Someone called Mick allowed it , Rat Pack vs others........Rats didnt want Pendlebury captain either, Pendles being a Buckley clone and professional nerd.....hence Rats were moved on..

Scarlett was head of one group at Geelong and had a lot to say when he was a player, often against other players......players like Chapman and StevieJ hated each other and were in the opposite camps...Harley was under-rated as a captain dealing with all those ego's...you can see why the Swans wanted him, a very good people manager.

All clubs have factions...I am presuming.......Nth had Carey and his crew vs the rest, Carey and his lot ran the club and treated the rest like dog crape but as long as they were winning Denis said fine.....

Reply #37
Someone called Mick allowed it , Rat Pack vs others........Rats didnt want Pendlebury captain either, Pendles being a Buckley clone and professional nerd.....hence Rats were moved on..

Scarlett was head of one group at Geelong and had a lot to say when he was a player, often against other players......players like Chapman and StevieJ hated each other and were in the opposite camps...Harley was under-rated as a captain dealing with all those ego's...you can see why the Swans wanted him, a very good people manager.

All clubs have factions...I am presuming.......Nth had Carey and his crew vs the rest, Carey and his lot ran the club and treated the rest like dog crape but as long as they were winning Denis said fine.....

re Collingwood. Tony Shaw appointed Buckley as captain before Mick got there. Buckley was the divisive factor of the club and caused the factions. Micks was to fix that was to pick a captain who could bring them together.

Point i was making was that picking the WRONG captain (Buckley) can CAUSE factions to form. Despite being the best player at the club and setting a good example on how to train, and perform on match day...he lacked the leadership to bring the group together. Nick Maxwell was the opposite to Buckley.

Could Cripps be our Buckley? I'm not sure.
Doc seems less likely to be.

Reply #38
Anyone known as FIGJAM is never going to be a good Captain.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39
re Collingwood. Tony Shaw appointed Buckley as captain before Mick got there. Buckley was the divisive factor of the club and caused the factions. Micks was to fix that was to pick a captain who could bring them together.

Point i was making was that picking the WRONG captain (Buckley) can CAUSE factions to form. Despite being the best player at the club and setting a good example on how to train, and perform on match day...he lacked the leadership to bring the group together. Nick Maxwell was the opposite to Buckley.

Rat Pack were let run loose by Mick...players like Tarrant wouldnt even talk to younger players, they were intimidated and belittled......Maxwell did a great job often having affected young players staying with him at his house.
re: Buckley.....his delivery was akin to B.Goddard........Rat Packers got away with stuff big time, players like Ben Johnson often didnt do scheduled weight sessions, he got away with it because his mates were the star players of the club...Mick allowed it and Maxwell did the cleaning up with other players who saw the double standards. The other player who Mick used to placate the groups was Luke Ball who came into the club and was a opposite of Swan, Didak, Shaw etc etc but still managed to get on with everyone and had the respect of every player.

I dont know how the players view Cripps, Docherty...or what factions exist, who is the more professional role model on and off the ground but I am presuming we dont need a neutral captain.....

Reply #40
Kernahan was captain in his second year at Carlton.
He won his first B&F in his first year as captain in 87.

I was talking about SA, Kernahan didn't come to us as a draftee, he was the man in SA before he arrived at Carlton!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41

Great post
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
Rat Pack were let run loose by Mick...players like Tarrant wouldnt even talk to younger players, they were intimidated and belittled......Maxwell did a great job often having affected young players staying with him at his house.

I can confirm that.

I have a friend who experienced it first hand, told me Collingwood was one of the most uncomfortable places to be on the planet. He described it as almost perverse in nature such was the preferential treatment of some and the belittling of others, like private boys school stuff! He said the superstars were virtually encouraged to talk down to the also rans, like it was a contest of survival for the newcomers. A clique!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
If anyone thinks that any team environment on the planet doesnt match the conditions listed above regarding being belittled by the in group, and on the outer with the others then they are kidding themselves.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44

Wow, talking about drawing on a long bow... with some pretty peculiar logic, spanks of 'let's choose the lesser of two evils' kind of attitude. To even think for a moment that Crippa is anything like Buckley is bizarre. Watch Crippa's interviews again... he comes across a quality person, with towering humility. Nothing humble about Buckley... smart? Yes. Witty? Yes. Champion player? Yes. But there is much about him that comes across as a condescending self absorbed pr1ck.

Doc, like Crippa, comes across as a quality person, with strong footy smarts and communication skills. And, like Crippa, a seeming authentic love of the CFC.

Doc and Crippa are both worthy Captains of the CFC, can your brain grasp that reality without having to find a potential fault in one to justify appointing the other? Can you perhaps trust the CFC and those close to both of them (and others) to make the right decision? And that just might be joint skippers... or not. Either way, does it really matter? They both love the place and want to drive success and are bona fide leaders. To even mention Crippa's name in the same sentence as Buckley is very offensive.

Many organisations have groups within groups and it is then dependent on the senior management to dismantle these 'exclusive' groups to create a more 'inclusive' environment and unless you've been hiding under a rock, it is blatantly obvious that BB is creating an environment solidly underpinned by inclusiveness.... whole of club inclusiveness, this kind of culture will weed out self-interested pr1cks rather quickly... or provide them with the tools to change.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17