Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Pre Game gentlemanly discussion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 22190 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Pre Game gentlemanly discussion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #30
we need to bring runners in ,adl move the ball much like richmond fro there half back line.Maybe buckly,armfield ,polson,

Reply #31
we need to bring runners in ,adl move the ball much like richmond fro there half back line.Maybe buckly,armfield ,polson,

Nthmond wanted us to turn it over, they left numbers forward of the ball nearly all day long expecting one of our blokes would stuff up under the influence of defensive pressure acts. Further, they relied on our slow movement to enable them to get back and cover for their own mistakes, which were plenty.

Too many times I saw Carlton players with numbers at the fall of the ball stuff it up, often in a 2 on 1 scenario, which should never happen at AFL level.

Was the worst games of AFL I have been to see this year by some margin!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
I guess Fisher, Cunningham and Williamson if fit would be straight back in.....White and Palmer might be in the mix, Byrne needs another couple of games....

They may not drop all five of those players you suggested, a couple might get another chance.....eg Graham and SPS...

I would drop Graham (for ever). SPS would be ok to keep for another week.  He is young and I think it's more about his body not being AFl ready yet rather than lack of effort.  Graham is simply not up to AFL level.  He slaughters the footy and has poor vision.  Casbolt should go too- replaced with Harry and Kerr for the remainder of the season.

Reply #33
Just a slight revision!

Jaksch had far less impact in recent weeks than White, Palmer, Sheahan or Byrne. I'd back any of them to fill a defense role and give Marchbank a crack at playing inside the F50 as a marking / tackling forward.

I'd rather see Palmer get a crack inside F50 than Jaksch.

I don't want to see Weiters rotated forward, he's immediately a better player across the field once he gets switched down back. He has a natural attacking edge, they should let him push forward on occasions, he seems to be better at pushing forward than Marchbank. Marchbank looks to me to be a more capable lead-up forward than Weitering. Williamson is another type that can defend and push forward to attack.

The clubs just needs to give them some license to improvise!

Have we failed to leverage Kreuzer's good form, is he pushing forward enough?

Watching at the weekend, I warmed to the idea of playing Levi as a CHB, but only when the conditions and opposition suit that tactic. But we need a better F50 setup to allow him to be left behind the play. At the weekend he played behind the ball while rucking and looked OK, but our F50 was left midget sized and ineffective. Perhaps if White had played he could have pushed forward.

Losing Fisher and Cunningham left us looking slow around the field, not just because of the lack of pace but because we became tentative and slow in decision making as well.

Lets no forget Kerridge, who has been in good form and has kicked bags of 6, 4 and 3 for Adelaide!

Genrally the couple of years Jaksch has general played pretty well at both ends. Seems like his attitude has kept him out, which is his fault.

Anyway, we need a 2nd key forward and we need to see what Jaksch can do at AFL level before we kick him out. But that could be up to him too.

Reply #34
I'd with something along the liens of:

B: Pickett, Jones, Plowman
Hb: Docherty, Weitering, Simpson
C: E.Curnow, Cripps, Cuningham
Hf: C.Curnow, Marchbank, Fisher
F: Wright, Casboult, J.Silvagni
Foll: Kreuzer, Gibbs
Rov: Murphy
I/c: Palmer, Thomas, Petrevski-Seton, Lamb
Emerg: Polson, Sheehan, Smedts

Out - Graham, Boekhorst, Smedts
In - Cuningham, Fisher, Palmer

*Not sure on Jed Lamb and his concussion. Think Tom Williamson and Alex Silvagni are both another week away availability-wise at AFL level.
**Jarrod Pickett as a small defender.
***Caleb Marchbank given a run forward.

Reply #35

*Not sure on Jed Lamb and his concussion. Think Tom Williamson and Alex Silvagni are both another week away availability-wise at AFL level.

Swap Pickett with Buckley..... Lamb might not come up with the concussion ?  SPS needs to go back and find the footy in the twos... shake him up a bit.

Dylan Buckley it's your last chance, give him a couple games to perform or goodbye at end of year.

Pickett - play 5 solid games in a row in the two's and maybe give him another chance towards the end of the year..
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #36
Pickett can't be selected this week surely. You can' get a backup game after you play like he did when given a chance.

Graham was the best of those that came in and he wasn't really any good himself, but added something in the 2nd half.

I would be happy to see all of Graham, Smedts & Pickett straight back out of the team.
SPS is going to be a good footballer, but it feels like something is not right. His Rising Star game, he was making runs, taking on kicks, looking fantastic, now he looks a bit lost. I am sure they are already addressing it, but someone needs to work out why he isn't playing to his skill level right at the moment.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #37
Hey guys I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Jack Silvagni. I'm a big Sydney Roosters fan as well and live in Qld, so you guys are definitely closer to the Club than I am.

I wanted to know if you guys think Jack is the answer was a forward. I know I risk being hung and quartered, speaking about such a great Carlton family, but he just seems so slow to me. I would have thought speed off the mark would play a big part in leading for the ball? I get that he is young, but you don't 'learn' speed.  I don't think he is a great kick either but that IS something that can be taught.

Anyway, I'm happy to get smashed here. Would like your thoughts.
JC

Reply #38
Hey guys I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Jack Silvagni. I'm a big Sydney Roosters fan as well and live in Qld, so you guys are definitely closer to the Club than I am.

I wanted to know if you guys think Jack is the answer was a forward. I know I risk being hung and quartered, speaking about such a great Carlton family, but he just seems so slow to me. I would have thought speed off the mark would play a big part in leading for the ball? I get that he is young, but you don't 'learn' speed.  I don't think he is a great kick either but that IS something that can be taught.

Jack is a 3rd tall forward who will be more effective when we get two decent KP Forwards who are the main targets...Jack isnt quick but is a footballer rather than an athlete who relies on smarts and nous to get the job done. He was no superstar at U18 level so the high expectations are based on the Silvagni name rather than his initial abilities and form.
I think he has to work hard to be a better player as he isnt a gifted player who can live off talent alone but I think he can and will...

Reply #39
out - Pickett Boakhorst Smedts Graham SPS

IN -  Help me out please :D

In: Players who give a damn!

White, Armfield, Buckley......Palmer....Byrne!

Reply #40
Jack is a 3rd tall forward who will be more effective when we get two decent KP Forwards who are the main targets...Jack isnt quick but is a footballer rather than an athlete who relies on smarts and nous to get the job done. He was no superstar at U18 level so the high expectations are based on the Silvagni name rather than his initial abilities and form.
I think he has to work hard to be a better player as he isnt a gifted player who can live off talent alone but I think he can and will...

Cheers mate. Good points. I think you summed him up well.
JC

Reply #41

Pickett as a small defender? Are kidding? He is a lazy little feck who has a very long way to go. Our defenders have been feral in their work rate this year, he wasnt feral in work last week for 30 seconds. No thanks, back to the twos and take a leaf out of LJ's book.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42

Good on you, JC Old Son for having a go and taking a risk. Jack aint his dad in many, many respects but he does work hard and he thinks like a footballer. If his name was Jack Smith, not related to anyone at the club (my personal litmus test), you'd like what you see in terms of a 3rd tall with footy smarts who'd deliver more if assisted by a better midfield than we have at present. I just wish the marketing dept would ignore him for a while and let him be a player and not a pin-up boy, though I suspect mum and dad have helped him to understand that marketing and PR are important for selling but devoid of character and substance... so never believe the hype.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #43
back to the good old days replacing spuds with spuds. We out spudded Richmond last week lets do it against Crows as well.

Out: Pickett SPS
In: McKay Buckley

B: Docherty  Jones  Weitering
HB: Plowman  Marchbank  Simpson
C: Buckley    Cripps     Boekhorst
HF: Thomas   McKay   Wright
F: Curnow  Casboult   Murphy
R: Kreuzer   Gibbs  Curnow
Int: Smedts Silvagni  Lamb  Graham

Forward line is a problem and time for Murphy to lead from the front - leading the side from the forward line because we need someone to do precisely that. Every line has leadership except forward line and leave Thomas and Murphy there to guide Curnow, Silvagni and McKay for rest of year. 

Reply #44
Pickett as a small defender? Are kidding? He is a lazy little feck who has a very long way to go. Our defenders have been feral in their work rate this year, he wasnt feral in work last week for 30 seconds. No thanks, back to the twos and take a leaf out of LJ's book.

Agreed - he likes the easy one over the top and bolting away into space ..... he wouldn't like defending at all.

Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!