Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 21: Northern Blues vs Essendon at Essendon (Read 10096 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 21: Northern Blues vs Essendon at Essendon

Reply #30
Players like the one you describe get found out by opposition teams quick enough. They are the last ones they worry about manning up at stoppages. They are more worried about manning up players who will hurt you with their disposal, if they are all taken, he has no choice but to dispose of it long....creating a 50-50 at best....just what the opposition wanted.

Geelong built a game plan around it. Let the players fight it out for the clearance. As soon as the ball looked like it was free there would be spare geelong players everywhere. They would win it back and deliver it back with interest. They were basically conceding clearances because they knew they'd win the ball back and as a result be more damaging than if they'd won the clearance themselves.

He'll be 27 for R1 next year. Trialling him in a new position for the first time. Surely we can get someone else who has more upside and more likely to succeed in that position than Oshea?

Why do we persist in holding onto guys who can't play for that extra year?

If it was a year it wouldnt be so bad, we keep them for way too long usually....agree on OShea.....lets get real mids, not bandaid remanufactured ones....

Reply #31
I understand the logic in keeping him....or anyone.

I guess my point is that if the recruiting staff are not confident they can find someone better, then they are incompetent.

Well and good but it could be argued that if you move someone on and you end up worse off as a result you are equally incompetent. I'll keep my powder dry on this and see what the final list position is after all the trading and drafting. I'm not an O'Shea fan at all so if he goes he goes and I won't be losing any sleep.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #32
The Blues are 9 points down about half way through the last quarter.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #33
Now 3 points down, 20 minutes gone.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
We got to 1 point down when Houlahan of Essendon got a goal.  >:(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
Goal to Jean-Luc Velissaris! One point the difference!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
Tight contest, with a lot of ball ups.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #37
Stewart kicks a goal for the Drug Cheats. That is probably it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
Done and dusted. We lose to the Drug Cheats. One of our men available and we probably win.

Northern Blues 9 - 10 - 64
Essendon 12 - 6 - 78

More shots to us. More time in attack, but not quite enough to get the job done.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39
GOALS: Velissaris 2, Costanzo, Glass-McCasker, Kerr, Kingsbury, McCabe, O'Shea, Schumacher.

DISPOSALS: Wilson 37, Graham 33, Hill 19, O'Shea 19, Fisher 18, Kerr 17, Stavrou 16, Schumacher 16.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
Done and dusted. We lose to the Drug Cheats. One of our men available and we probably win.

Northern Blues 9 - 10 - 64
Essendon 12 - 6 - 78

More shots to us. More time in attack, but not quite enough to get the job done.

Bugger - would have been nice to continue that recent winning feeling. Certainly from the stats it looks like we were really in a position to win.

Camarades, encore un effort !

Reply #41
Interesting statistics.
Live Long and Prosper!