Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton's Big Unknowns In 2015  (Read 16312 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton's Big Unknowns In 2015

Reply #15
Some people are predicting a huge rise up the ladder in 2015, others are expecting more of the same as last year.

The club has a number of big unknowns that will directly determine the outcomes next season, best of all, no-one really knows the answer to them either :

1. Kreuzer - will he return to full fitness & playing standard plus will he be groomed as a key forward or played as a genuine ruckman again ?? Must pull his finger out or come years end...sell sell sell
2. Warnock - can he do more than just stand in the centre circle ?? Nup. Wasted spot on the list. happy to be proven wrong. With the amount of changes to our list will know that he is on borrowed time. Hopefully it will be the catalyst to him breaking out to be the player we have all expected him to be......cant see it happening thou. :-[
3. Jones - where does he fit into the overall structure ?? FF. hendo better placed at HF imo. Cas roaming I50 gives opp teams more to worry about when they play us now.
4. Watson - how can he be fitted into the team ?? Cover for injuries or out of form players only.
5. Casboult - can he ever kick straight and where will he fit into team ?? Will improve. Has improved every year thus far and see no reason why that shouldnt continue. Will be dangerous floating around the fwd line and was a fantastic "out" for us around the wings when we were clearing from defence.
6. Buckley - does he stay in defence or is he going to be moved to the forward line ?? I'd say defense, hopefully doing Yarrans current role therefore allowing Yarran to be played on a wing!!
7. Jaksch - which end of the ground does he play at ?? I only assume defense. Could be swingman also. I await with interest.
8. Walker - will he return to the forward line permanently as that appears hi best slot ?? 50-50. With all the changes to our list, Walker is no longer a walk up start IMO. Could he be rotated through the midfield?????
9. Cripps - is he ready to play regular senior footy ?? So long as the kid improves, i'm not too fussed. Improvement and development is all I ask of this kid.
10. Thomas - is he really over this ankle injury ?? I'm hoping so. I always said that I was prepared to give him last year as a freebie. He'd wanna drastically improve this year to prove value for what we gave up for him. I'm expecting a massive improvement just quietly.
11. Henderson - where does he play, if forward, is it alongside Casboult, Jones & Jaksch ?? CHF. Jones FF. Caz floating. Jacksh HBF, Rowe HBF. Jamo FB
12. Menzel - is it time for him to really break out and kick 40-goals or more for the season ?? 30 goals plus. Time to step up to the plate. Not fighting for a spot ith Jeffy or Betts anymore. He is our small fwd now.
13. Rowe - can he replicate the good form he showed in defence last year or was it a once-off ?? Here's hoping. With Jacksh joining them down back, may make him even better!!
14. Whiley - what impact will he have at a new club ?? No Idea. Has pace they say...I like pace. Couldnt give an appraisal/fair expectation cos I dont know enough about him.
15. Carrazzo & Curnow - can they be palyed in the team at the same time ??  No. Nor can they be plAYed in the same team.!! lol. Love Carrotts and what he's given the team over the journey, but I think he's gone on 1 yr too long. Injuries will dictate how 2015 pan out for him. Curnow has passed him as our cheif negator IMO. Carrotts gets more of the ball and hurts more going fwd but as an out and out tagger....I'd have Curnow just in front.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #16
Considering we play all the 'lesser' teams, absolutely not! Anything less is failure IMO.

This one x2. No excuses for injuries, players out of form, or the process taking longer to adapt to. We either see significant improved game or heads need to roll.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #17
Just on Walker... I think playing forward is a must but if not, could he be our Isaac Smith? He's got a huge tank, reasonably quick and a good size. Would he be better on a wing?

Reply #18
Just on Walker... I think playing forward is a must but if not, could he be our Isaac Smith? He's got a huge tank, reasonably quick and a good size. Would he be better on a wing?

I think he would be great on a wing with Yarran on the other wing.

Reply #19
I say again, the first 5 or 6 games will shape the season. Unless we add some ruthless, c-word attitude over the summer, I can predict exactly what will most likely happen.  We have:

9thmond
WC (there)
Cheats
Aints
Filth
Robbo

Cheats have Syd, Hawks then us. Im tipping they will get pantsed 1 and 2, what do you reckon will happen end 3 against us? I say we will run them into form as history says thats what we do.

9thmond rnd 1 - Remember that coaches show that was on GF eve? Hardwick and MM were seen in some sort of a run in hence there appears to be a lot of dislike there. They will be up and about for this one, if we aren't switched on, L.

WC over there second up is always tough, not switched on? L

Aints, should win but....

Robbos new mob rnd 6. Added a fair bit of mid field grunt with Beams and Robbo who will want to show his old mob he has what it takes. They won't be push overs this year.

So I am extremely sceptical and pessamistic about us again. I think they have done well in the trade period this year but I also think there is still a long way to go.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
I can't see how we move up the ladder significantly shedding blokes like Waite and Robinson replacing them with Jones and Wiley.

That's before we factor in McLean and Garlett as well.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
I can't see how we move up the ladder significantly shedding blokes like Waite and Robinson replacing them with Jones and Wiley.

Waite teased with a couple of good games but really none of them had standout seasons.

None were top 10 in our B&F
Garlett played 9 games
Robbo 12

they contributed little to the season.

Reply #22

Waite teased with a couple of good games but really none of them had standout seasons.

Garlett played 9 games
Robbo 12

Agree Lods however if those three were at their best and played 22 games say, Waite and Jeffy kick even 40 goals each, perhaps we would have gone a little better. If my grandma had balls....
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
Also, even if we do improve, we need to start matching and beating top 4 sides. Something we have not done much of in recent times.

Reply #24

Garlett played 9 games
Robbo 12

Agree Lods however if those three were at their best and played 22 games say, Waite and Jeffy kick even 40 goals each, perhaps we would have gone a little better. If my grandma had balls....

Totally agree..at their best, for 22 games, our season 2014 may (would)have been better
.....but the point is they weren't at their best, missed many games, and didn't impact on season 2014 to a significant extent.

So we can't say that our 2015 shouldn't be better than 2014 because we've lost those players.
Inclusions and natural improvement of existing players should more than cover the 2014 contributions of Waite, Robbo, Garlett and McLean

We should be in a better ladder position at the end of season 2015

Reply #25
I agree with everything Lods said. Passengers gone and time to move on. If the new crew can't cut it, delist them. Developing the young kids is our long term future. I just hope these new inclusions can pull their weight.

Reply #26

Might have been a decent idea when he was younger but can a player like Walker all of a sudden adapt to playing on the ball? I'm not so sure. Forward or bust for him next year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #27

Garlett played 9 games
Robbo 12

I think Waite got us over the line in a couple of games but he was also a hindrance to victory when he under performed.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #28

I think he would be great on a wing with Yarran on the other wing.
x2

Reply #29
Until poor kicking drives us nuts.  Its been the knock on him his entire career... and probably what divides opinion on him.

Still want to see him played up forward where he can use his x-factor, smarts and now experience to impact games.  He isn't a rookie kid anymore.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?