Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton V North- Post match thread (Read 18089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton V North- Post match thread

Reply #30
Interesting press conference from Barker. High degree of frustration in his voice that there are players on the field who are not committed and don't want to be there.  Problem is, they can't be left out because our stocks are so low.

Was very positive about Murphy, Krueser, Cripps, White but said too much left to too few.

Yarran has to be in the 'not interested' category along with Henderson. They are the obvious ones.  However you get the sense from what he's saying, that there are a few others who were on the field tonight as well.

Reply #31
It makes me sick that as a club we allow players who aren't "interested" to even take to the field. They're getting paid thousands of dollars to be "interested".

Another thing that was noticeable was the size difference in our bodies compared to North. Firrito, Swallow, Ziebell, Petrie etc. are all huge and used their bodies to block our runs and win one on one contests by just standing there. Even Waite is bigger than he was at Carlton.

We need some serious leadership at our club from the board down.

Reply #32
I think Yazz, Hendo, Bell, Tutt and to a lesser degree Carrots, Menzel, Simmo, Rowe, Everitt, Jamo, Touhy really let down our football club. Murphy, Kruezer, Wood, Cripps, Casboult, Boekhorst, Docherty, Smith, Curnow,  Buckley and White get a pass mark...just.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #33
My 2 cents.

Cripps, Murph Simmo and Doc the best out of an ordinary lot.

Rowe and Jamo. One is near the end, the other had his 15 minutes of decent footy last season, and has spent this season being beaten week after week after week. I like Rowe, but he just isn't good enough or consistent enough.

White - one of our many hot and cold players. Last night average.

Bell - as others have said, who knew he was even there.

Mr. Germaphobe Everitt - did a couple of nice things, but seems typical of the players we like to recruit. Soft, and flashes in and out of the game.

The 3 big boys - Krooz, Cas and Wood. All tried their best. Not one of Wood's better games, but was handy. I like that Cas tried to introduce some physicality into his game. As with all our players, needs to do it better.

2e- meh.

Bucks - has a real crack, and despite certain limitations, definitely a keeper and definitely something to work with.

Tutt- the only player in AFL/VFL history to give 110%, and yet have zero impact on a game.

Yazz - boy oh boy.

Hendo - thought he was ok tbh.

Boeky - ok.

Curnow - tried hard as per usual.

Menzel - more effort from him tonight was good to see.

Carrots - has been a tremendous club man, and has gotten the best out an ordinary skill set, but an umpiring career awaits. Could become the inside man we've been waiting for, so that we get the rub of the green a little more often.

Sigh............

Reply #34
@Paul

A pretty fair summary of our plight mate.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
2E was good again.

Somebody said he lined up at the centre bounce a couple of times but I must have missed it.

Can anyone confirm?
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #36
With a small defence of thouy yarran buckley simpson docherty.....norths talls like any other tall forward line will kill carlton....

We need 25 new players imo
The backline has to be one of biggest weaknesses at the moment, and the smaller players mentioned here are at the heart of it. The problem is that not one of these guys is best suited to being in the backline. Yarran should be playing forward where his speed is a weapon and he is less of a liability. Simpson is an aging champion that belongs more on the wing so that he doesn't have to stand in front of guys like Petrie (and with any luck we can get another season or 2 out of him). Buckley should join him on the other wing and Docherty seems better suited as a mid. I've never been sure what to do with Tuohy, a great kick but doesn't apply enough pressure or read the play well enough to be down back.

Looking at the tall defenders, I do think Jamison and Rowe are made to look worse because of the ample supply of good delivery from the opposition mids that aren't under enough pressure.

Barker seems to have caught malthouse syndrome and refuses to try anything different like Henderson down back or Yarran up forward.

Reply #37
In a way I feel a bit sorry for JB in that he was pretty much given little choice in taking over as stand in coach. He couldn't have refused as that would have probably excluded him from a senior gig for a long time. However, by taking over he has exposed himself to weeks of humiliation. Catch 22.

The solution will involve either a clean sweep of the coaching dept or large scale surgery to the playing list. All the commentary I'm reading atm is pointing the bone at the big holes in our list but I'm now pretty much certain that JB won't get the  nod unless no one else wants it.

Reply #38
The solution will involve either a clean sweep of the coaching dept or large scale surgery to the playing list.

Or both.
The only problem with large scale surgery to the list is that it's impossible to pick up more than two or three good footballers in any one off season, and in Carlton's case we've repeatedly struggled to do even that.
It will take four or five years to become competitive with the best sides, and that assumes we make all the right decisions in the meanwhile.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #39
I thought BB was a positive from the game, shrugged off the Kane Lucas double tag. Real potential there.

What an indictment on certain blokes that even the coach sees fit to mention that we've got players that are  just going through the motions. Pity we've got so many injured players.

JB sounded really dispirited, understandably.

Agree that we probably do need fresh faces in all the coaching positions. At this stage Bolton would be my choice, he's coached his own sides to success and has a history of strong achievement.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #40
our players are just weak 1 body size 2stength 3 fitness.The scary part is I have been saying this for many years and nothing changed and our game plan is like under 10s.Lucky watching the game in a bar in Phuket  went back to the pool at the last quarter.

Reply #41
Or both.
The only problem with large scale surgery to the list is that it's impossible to pick up more than two or three good footballers in any one off season, and in Carlton's case we've repeatedly struggled to do even that.
It will take four or five years to become competitive with the best sides, and that assumes we make all the right decisions in the meanwhile.

Agree, I think it will be a combination of both B4L. The journey with the list will be a long one for sure and will certainly test the club's patience!

Reply #42
Agree, I think it will be a combination of both B4L. The journey with the list will be a long one for sure and will certainly test the club's patience!

It will test the supporters' patience even more.
It's been the best part of 15 years now, most of us thought that after we recruited Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer and Judd our worst days were behind us yet here we are 6 or 7 years later at rock bottom and without a coach.
I really fear for our future for the first time in 50 years of being a member of the club, I just can't see how we can maintain decent membership and sponsorship levels to ride out another 5 years, many of our young supporters have never known a strong Carlton team.
These are very dark days.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #43
It will test the supporters' patience even more.
It's been the best part of 15 years now, most of us thought that after we recruited Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer and Judd our worst days were behind us yet here we are 6 or 7 years later at rock bottom and without a coach.
I really fear for our future for the first time in 50 years of being a member of the club, I just can't see how we can maintain decent membership and sponsorship levels to ride out another 5 years, many of our young supporters have never known a strong Carlton team.
These are very dark days.

thats the point- club sold a lie with all the no 1 drafts picks a flag was coming ...lazy. poor  recruiting, no development, average culture...

as sticks said..."lets all have a drink" C:-)

Reply #44
That's why the club just has to get the supporters on board with the real truth - it has to be realistic in what promises it makes and what dreams it tries to sell. It's a journey and we must all come to terms with that before we get too preoccupied with the destination and start looking for risky short cuts.