Skip to main content
Topic: Indian wells - woo hoo !! (Read 7511 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Indian wells - woo hoo !!

Reply #1
Federer served for it at 5-4 in the third, had two match points, couldn't nail a first serve...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #2
Federer served for it at 5-4 in the third, had two match points, couldn't nail a first serve...

Yes I know. Rafa is quite possibly on his last legs and Novak.......well who knows what's up with Novak ? With those two out of the picture, Fed has no peers and has men's tennis all to himself. Losses like today will be few and far between, so celebrate with me flyboy  ;D

Reply #3
Firstly, I'm not a big tennis fan, but I like Federer.

However, to me it seems in recent times his success is more about his opponents failures, be they health or head-space issues. He's paddling along quietly watching opponents effectively trip themselves up.

Not that Federer doesn't contribute to his opponents demise, but it seems the opponents do their very best to self-destruct when they play him or in the lead-up to possible matches! This has created a series of recent finals that I believe are populated with sub-standard opponents, many of the recent ones were unseeded! Is that a fair observation?

I think the minute a half-decent kid comes along, one who has his head in the right place and isn't intimidated but looks forward to the challenge, it'll be stick a fork in Federer he's done!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
A lot of that is true LP but Federer has changed a few things, with big effect:

1. Racquet - bigger size head

Fed only moved to the 97 sq. in. head in mid 2014. Prior to that he'd been playing with a 90 sq in. In cricketing terms that's like Fed playing with a bat from the 70s.

The new bat gives more easy power and allows him to come over the backhand more often. And it would have taken him a good year - or more - to truly get used to the larger racquet.

Nadal's Babolat, he's used since the early 2000s is 100 sq. in.

Personally, Federer's refusal to move to a biger head much earlier cost him numerous slams and other titles.

2. The Neo Backhand

Fed, maybe as a function of his own self belief, the smaller racquest head or whatever was often too passive off his backhand wing.

He now stands higher in the court - taking time from his opponents - and hit a much higher % of balls off that wing than before.....it's allowed him to counter Nadal's attack on that wing.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #5
Del Potro could have been anything, particularly after his US Open win some time ago.  Injury has absolutely cruelled his career.  A much more interesting player to watch than Djokovic or Nadal (champs that they are).

I love watching the Fed play.  Just has a grace around the court that so many don't.

Reply #6
The new bat gives more easy power and allows him to come over the backhand more often. And it would have taken him a good year - or more - to truly get used to the larger racquet.

So is a tennis racquet the opposite of a golf club?

For golf clubs smaller heads give more power, but over a smaller area so they are less user friendly. The sweet spot of the smaller head is more powerful than the sweet spot of a larger head, given weight and shaft are equal, but you have to hit the sweet spot!

Is it the reverse in a tennis racquet, or is that easy power coming at a cost of lower peak power or a heavier racquet?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Del Potro could have been anything, particularly after his US Open win some time ago.  Injury has absolutely cruelled his career.  A much more interesting player to watch than Djokovic or Nadal (champs that they are).

I love watching the Fed play.  Just has a grace around the court that so many don't.

My opinion is a little different. Watching Fed play is a little like watching a machine. Superbly engineered, finely tuned, but ultimately lacking in something.

Rafa and Fed, to me, highlight yet another example of what one may call the difference between imperfection and perfection.

If you look at Rafa's shot making, there's nothing that you could say is really outstanding. His 1st and 2nd serves have always been ok. His forehand and backhand, lots of power and topspin, but nothing that will make it into the tennis record books. His volleying is pretty good for a clay courter, but once again, not the stuff of dreams. I can't remember the last time I saw him hit an overhead smash. One could say that his skill level is not dissimilar to a number of his clay court colleagues.

What sets Rafa apart, IMO, are three things :

1. fantastic tennis brain
2. a huge heart
3. fanatical appetite for the contest, the battle, for something that will allow him to overcome his limitations, time and time again. And he takes these things to unusual places : changing from right hand to left hand, supposedly wearing his shoes too small, all the ticks, rituals etc.

When I watch Fed, I'm impressed, even entertained. But I'm not inspired. When I watch Nadal, I'm inspired. When I watch Fed, I'm getting a tennis lesson. When I watch Rafa, I'm getting a life lesson. That someone with a less than spectacular skill set can achieve so much - the grit, the sweat, the total focus and dedication to every shot, every point, every opponent. He has squeezed everything he could out of his body, his skills, and I would say has exceeded expectations. He's taken on the limitations of his humanity, and won. I find that to be a really great thing.

Fed is a better tennis player no doubt, but Rafa's reach is beyond tennis IMO.

My 2 bob's worth.

Reply #8
I know what you mean - I do like watching Rafa on clay.   Rafa's skill is immense - just unorthodox.

I would argue that Fed has also got everything out of himself - he was gonski a few years ago and has come back.

They are in the same place - both work(ed) very hard to get where they are.

Raf was better then Fed for a time - beat him for a few years.

Reply #9
I know what you mean - I do like watching Rafa on clay.   Rafa's skill is immense - just unorthodox.

I would argue that Fed has also got everything out of himself - he was gonski a few years ago and has come back.

They are in the same place - both work(ed) very hard to get where they are.

Raf was better then Fed for a time - beat him for a few years.

dodge, I'm certainly not suggesting Rafa is a spud. And I have no doubt Fed takes his tennis seriously and trains as hard as Rafa.

But in terms of pure tennis skill, and the purity of shot making, Fed is significantly superior in my book, and should trounce Rafa the way he does most other players.

I would argue that Rafa owned Federer mentally during those years. His tennis was never as good as the Swiss, but he created an aura of invincibility, of never cracking, never giving up. In a way, I would say that Fed lost before he even stepped on court. It's for these sorts of reasons that I am such a Rafa fan.

People talk about racquet head size, and I also wonder whether it would have made a difference. Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure Fed had his reasons for not changing, good or bad.

Reply #10
All good.  Used to love Lendl, Edberg and the great cat Miloslav Mecir in the good old days of the 80s

Reply #11
The Cat, what a mover for a big guy!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #13
Someone said Rafa is finished.

Hes 32 this June.

Now, his play style does rely on him belting opponents off the court.

However, there is nothing to say that he can't or won't reinvent himself a little and go up a level.

Imagine we had written off Fed at the same age! the cliff is coming for Federer.  When it arrives (as in too old to compete anymore), the others will get their chance to do what he has done recently.

Djokovic has struggled for the first time in his career over the last 12-18 months.  That won't continue, and he too is another who has plenty of time on his side.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
Someone said Rafa is finished.

Hes 32 this June.

Now, his play style does rely on him belting opponents off the court.

However, there is nothing to say that he can't or won't reinvent himself a little and go up a level.

Imagine we had written off Fed at the same age! the cliff is coming for Federer.  When it arrives (as in too old to compete anymore), the others will get their chance to do what he has done recently.

Djokovic has struggled for the first time in his career over the last 12-18 months.  That won't continue, and he too is another who has plenty of time on his side.

I think Nadal is close to finished. The injuries keep coming, his game sylte has and is aking a heavy toll - as all, Rafa included, no doubt well knew. Rafa also needs to play lots to get into his groove....Federer, by contrast can come back from a modest break hitting better than ever.

I think Federer will play the French now. If Rafa's half baked, ditto Nole, another GS is there for the taking....

Nole, he's had to modify his service action big time, that's got to play with his mind. No guarantees he will ever play at the level he once did (but yeah, more time on his side than Rafa agreed).

Then there's sooky Andy - who cares about him really!
Finals, then 4 in a row!