Skip to main content
Topic: Ziebell, Martin and Gibbs (Read 7569 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ziebell, Martin and Gibbs

Reply #15
Gibbs played some great footy as a HF in 2011 until he got injured in the final.

Reply #16
I think Gibbs is fairly weak overhead personally.

Just on Martin, to think we could have picked him up for 600k instead of Daisy, still young with his career ahead of him.

What would you have been willing to trade for him? Given Daisy didn't require a trade.

The first rounder we got for Betts? That we gave up for Daisy? If not enough then throw in Hampson. So no Docherty I guess.

We were never getting a first rounder for Betts. We would've got what St Kilda got for Dal Santo. And that would never have got Richmond to give us Martin. If you were Richmond would you have traded Martin for a pick in the 20s? I doubt it.

This has been discussed before and you've been proven to be wrong by LLT so I don't know why you are saying that again. Age was the factor in the Saints getting less for Dal. Betts would have got us a first rounder according to the system.

Meanwhile, Eddie Betts went to Adelaide for $2M over four years; I know who I'd rather have in my team both in terms of contribution and ability to pay for a competent key forward.

Fair enough, but Eddie Betts was not and is not an option, he left Carlton and went to Adelaide.
If it came down to Thomas or a compensation pick for Betts I'd take Thomas any day of the week, St Kilda got pick 13 for Goddard.

Goddard got a first rd pick for the saints because Essendon are paying him 800k for 4 years. We weren't going to get that for Eddie. We would got a second rd pick after ours AT BEST.

Why not? 500k is the trigger for a first round pick and he got more than that at the same number of years  so it's a first rounder.

No it's not. If it was St Kilda would've got one for Dal Santo.

You do know the dollar amount for compo picks aren't published?

Straight off the AFL's free agency page:

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Thanks for that. I was just chatting to a work colleague and apparently that is a new tweak and wasn't in the original compensation criteria when FA was introduced.

Selective memory maybe?? :P

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
In hindsight emtwenty, would you now take Martin over Daisy?

It wasn't a choice. One was a free agent. The other was a trade. It was never a case of one of the other.

No there was a choice, we could have gone after one via trade, or one via FA, but either one was going to cost us a first rounder that we got for Betts and BOTH were available. Then of course there's the ridiculous 750k we threw at Mick's son, that would've got us Martin via the PSD as no one else would've been willing to pay that, just like every club laughed at us when we offered it to Daisy.

So, in hindsight which would you choose?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!