Skip to main content
Topic: Squad for JLT game named (Read 38655 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Squad for JLT game named

Reply #225
That's a relief for the poor bugger.

And for me as well. Don't like injuries at this time of year - actually not at any time. But you're on the back foot if too many players are done before R1.

Reply #226
And for me as well. Don't like injuries at this time of year - actually not at any time. But you're on the back foot if too many players are done before R1.
Truedat
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #229
Of the blokes we recruited last year I hope we get a look at Polson, Kerr, Williamson, Macreadie and Alex Silvagni this week and next against Freo. Also like to see Pickett and Fisher given another go.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #230
I'd love to see Pickett, Sumner and Lebois in the forward 50 together with Casboult crashing packs.

We'll need another marking option or two - Weitering and Charlie C / Jack S.

Gotta give Harry McKay another crack at it IMO. Reckon the next two pre-seasons games gives him a taste and some much needed continuity.

Reply #231
Marchbank.  Say no more...

Ok, I'll say a little bit more.  Hardly a big sample size, but he looks like an A grader.  If that's what he becomes, then we had a win in the off season.

Pickett.  Finally fit(ish).  Showed a little bit of class, but we obviously need to see a bit more of him. 

Big Harry.  Looked willing, but not up to the pace of the game yet.

Zac.  Looked zippy and keen and a decent kick of the aggot.  Look fwd to see what he's got.

LeBois.  Looked zippy and dangerous.  Probably a low possession player most of the time, but with any luck develops like Eddie did.

SPS and the other first year players who didn't play.  Plenty of time for the young fellas.

Smedts/Palmer.  Seen 'em before, know what to expect.  Solid players, nothing too special.

The main point of this post is to have a bit of a look at newbies to the club (I include Harry because he didn't play a senior game last year).  Marchbank looks to be an improvement on Tuohey, and Walker hardly fired a shot last year, so we just need one more of the above to play good footy and we're in front from last year.  And a few more like Charlie/SOJ/Cunningham/Byrne to improve and we'll be slightly better again.

That's all I'm really looking for in the JLT at this stage.  I'd rather our youngsters show signs of being good players than our established players setting the world on fire in the pre-season.  They'll be fine and dish up what we expect during the season proper, but we ain't going nowhere if our young fella's don't become good players.

Oh yeah, and what's the idea of having us play our first game against a side that's already had a preseason game???  Not that it matters, but I think preseason games are hard enough to judge as it is, and that doesn't help.  Melbourne looked alright just quietly.  They may have finally come out the other side.  The biggest differences I could see between them and us was a couple of quality forwards with 3 seasons under their belts, and a pretty deep midfield full of high picks, now also with a few seasons under their belts. 

I think we're still a way away from challenging, and need a few more good midfielders (via the draft, trade, or a sneaky surprise packet already within our ranks). And of course our young forwards need to develop into what we hope they will become.

Reply #232
No idea if he's ready for PS game, but I'm looking forward see how JG-M goes.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #233
No idea if he's ready for PS game, but I'm looking forward see how JG-M goes.

Good point LN!

I'm a fan of young Jesse and I'd prefer to see him get a run before the likes of Alex Silvagni (we know Alex can play at AFL level).  From what I've seen, Jesse is at least as well prepared for AFL footy as McKay, Lebois, Pickett, Fisher, etc.  I guess the difference is that if Jesse makes a mistake, it's likely to end up with an opposition goal.

If Jesse does shape up as an AFL-standard key defender, we'll almost have an embarrassment of riches in defence. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #234
Good point LN!

I'm a fan of young Jesse and I'd prefer to see him get a run before the likes of Alex Silvagni (we know Alex can play at AFL level).  From what I've seen, Jesse is at least as well prepared for AFL footy as McKay, Lebois, Pickett, Fisher, etc.  I guess the difference is that if Jesse makes a mistake, it's likely to end up with an opposition goal.

If Jesse does shape up as an AFL-standard key defender, we'll almost have an embarrassment of riches in defence.

Thanks DJC.
The very limited information I have makes me wonder how close he is to showing his wares. He also seems to have his head screwed on. I'd like to think he's picking up some good habits from Weiters at home too :))

Is he on the Rookie list?
If so, what are his options for PS and the season proper (as we already have one LTI)?

Cheers
Henry Ford.

Reply #235
Is he on the Rookie list?
If so, what are his options for PS and the season proper (as we already have one LTI)?

Yes, he's a second year rookie.

We have two on the LTI list; Byrne and Phillips but Phillips is supposed to be back in the first couple of the weeks of the season.  Jesse also has some tough competition for an upgrade, if the club decides to pull that trigger, with Alex Silvagni and Sheehan pushing for a spot. 

There's nothing stopping him from getting a run in the next two weeks, apart from form.

I may be reading too much into it, but it seems to me that Weitering wouldn't be sharing a house with the Hyphen unless the latter has a future.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #236
I like JGM too and would like to see him played  but I think Alex Silvagni might get the nod over him initially because of his experience and he has the right surname.. ;)

Reply #237
Thanks again DJC

I forgot about young Byrne. We certainly are shaping up with some real quality down back.

I have been known to read too much into, well, just about everything CFC. But hey, that's what makes us top notch supporters right ^-^
Here's hoping some of our fanciful ideas materialize.
Henry Ford.

Reply #238
I have a sneaky feeling that a very long game is being played... we will need three very big defenders in about 4 years time and suspect that JGM is a significant part of that planning.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #239
I have a sneaky feeling that a very long game is being played... we will need three very big defenders in about 4 years time and suspect that JGM is a significant part of that planning.

I agree with the positive outlook for JGM, I've watched him enough to see he has something, maybe lacks aerobic capacity. But we don't want to keep kids on ice too long though, they can lose interest and leave! I'd love to see him get the 3rd or 4th KPD role provided they think his fitness is up to scratch.

But in fairness relative to my earlier opinions, I said the same thing about Gowers and he's cut!
The Force Awakens!