Skip to main content
Topic: One day squad..No Maxwell???? (Read 21027 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: One day squad..No Maxwell????

Reply #15
He's been forked up by a batting coach trying to make him a test player.

Instead of becoming the next Doug Walters he's ended up like Bruce Laird!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
His non-selection in the test team was a bigger indicator that something was up... made a ton in India and they could have easily picked him ahead of Marsh.

Reply #17
Smith needs his bloody head read if he thinks that blokes past their use by date like White can replace Maxwell.  Bats, fields and bowls unlike the imposters taking his position.

I don't mind Mitch Marsh playing himself in, but getting out for 30 or so after playing himself in is the killing us in the middle overs.

Warner continues to get out in soft ways against pace. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #18
Smith needs his bloody head read if he thinks that blokes past their use by date like White can replace Maxwell.  Bats, fields and bowls unlike the imposters taking his position.

I don't mind Mitch Marsh playing himself in, but getting out for 30 or so after playing himself in is the killing us in the middle overs.

Warner continues to get out in soft ways against pace.

Maxwell should be promoted for the next 3 games.

White was pathetic and should never wear the baggy green again.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #19
Batting White @7 is like asking Hazelwood to open the batting.  Not what he does.  Not Whites fault he got selected and  played in the wrong place. Stoinis and Marsh in the one side takes away balance.

Selectors are making strange decisions

Reply #20

White can't score off enough balls.
You need a far greater range of shots.
Lyon should be playing
Kawahja should be 3.
Mitch Marsh or Stoinis should be batting 8 or 9 but can't have both playing

Reply #21

I was astounded when he was picked.  I thought that his time in Australian colours was long gone.

Picking Maxwell now would be admitting a mistake ... or perhaps Smith could say that Maxwell has taken his advice onboard and is now "training smarter".
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
I was astounded when he was picked.  I thought that his time in Australian colours was long gone.

Picking Maxwell now would be admitting a mistake ... or perhaps Smith could say that Maxwell has taken his advice onboard and is now "training smarter".

When White got picked over Maxwell everyone knew Maxy was in the sin bin and would continue to be in Coventry......agree about admitting a mistake, aint going to happen
 but got no doubt he will be in the WC team along with Nathan Lyon...
Darcy Short should be in the team too....class player IMO and No 3 could be Finch or Warner......Short and Maxwell also bowl spin which seems to be handy taking the pace off the ball.
The new Pommy ODI lineup with Roy, Hales, Butler, Morgan love the quicks and dine out when the fielding restrictions are in.....time to do what they do and bowl Lyon and crew to take the pace off the ball and cause frustration that leads to poor shots. Players like Ali, Rasheed, Plunkett and Woakes look like world beaters thanks to our pathetic selection issues, I might sound biased but England aint that good and we should be doing better on our own dung heaps...
Smith has been drinking his own bathwater of late too....was trapped plumb by Root but carried on like it was a poor decision instead of checking his own technique and figuring out playing around your pads all the time will eventually lead to trouble, had a great summer but needs to concentrate better in this format and think its not going to be as easy as the test series....ditto for Warner.

Reply #23
Cummings and Starc have stunk in the ODI series and should be "rested".

Warner has been putrid and also needs a break, White should never, ever be picked again. Imbecilic selection.

Selectors pucked up the ODI series big time.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
Cummings and Starc have stunk in the ODI series and should be "rested".

Warner has been putrid and also needs a break, White should never, ever be picked again. Imbecilic selection.

Selectors pucked up the ODI series big time.

Agree....England run two seperate teams bar a few players, Broad, Anderson dont play and I reckon Starc and in particular Hazlewood should be left out.
They need to bowl to attacking fields and look numb when players like Butler hit them out of the park and they have to bowl with no slips etc, they are not the inventive types and should play in the traditional format of test cricket only.
Lyon is a good one day bowler IMO and I cant believe he hasnt played.......
Even Mark Taylor and Michael Slater are calling for Maxwell to play and making noises about his omission being more about other things than form....
Warner looks tired and over the grind, another lazy poor shot today and I'd give him a break too and pick Darcy Short who is hungry for a chance....

Reply #25
Hazlewood and Starc are ranked 5 and 7 respectively in the ICC ODI rankings. The only other Australian in the top 20 is Cummins (19). Surely Hazlewood and Starc are in our best ODI 11?

Reply #26
Hazlewood and Starc are ranked 5 and 7 respectively in the ICC ODI rankings. The only other Australian in the top 20 is Cummins (19). Surely Hazlewood and Starc are in our best ODI 11?

Seen those rankings...Imran Tahir at No2 for Bowling and Babar Azam at No 4 for batting.....neither would get a game in my best ODI team.....
I actually prefer Cummins to either Starc or Hazlewood....Starc bowls well to the mugs in the tail but not so good to the top order IMO, gets erratic and looks moody when playing one day cricket..
Hazlewood is accurate but without the slips/gully plan lacks invention and when the batsman come at him looks a bit lost where to bowl and put his field....he is also a mug with the bat and I wouldnt call him the safest fielder either..
Cummins is a more versatile inventive bowler and handy with the bat.....better bowler when its tough than the other two IMO....

Reply #27
I tend to agree, big fan of Cummins in any form of the game. Hard to put a finger on it, but he always seems to be at the batsman, I would hate having to face him. I think a bigger problem is our lack of use of spinners, all the best teams have spinners that can bowl on any surface and restrict scoring and get wickets. Lyon should be playing all forms, and i would like to see Fawad Ahmed given a go in short form cricket too

Reply #28
Shocking bowling at the depth cost us. Smith does reasonable job as captain in the Test matches but seems lost in ODI. Bowling short at leg stump with a packed on-side field is not going to be successful late in the innings. It's not the Test matches now. Smith is a one dimensional thinker and doesn't adapt from Tests to ODI. Butler and Woakes just got their front leg out of the way and smashed us over the fence. Just dumb.

Noticed while every other Australian will go to South Africa early, missing the T20 series, Warner is staying to captain the side. Wonder if the selectors want another look at Warner as captain. His 4 games as ODI skipper in Sri Lanka he did an outstanding job. Very proactive. We lost the first game with Smith as captain, then he went home for a rest. Warner took over and we won them all.

Reply #29
Shocking bowling at the depth cost us. Smith does reasonable job as captain in the Test matches but seems lost in ODI.

In tests you get breaks when the coach can tell you what to do! ;)
The Force Awakens!