Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 66343 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #105
Interesting call from the Age's Peter Ryan:

The Blues have several candidates to replace the influential and respected Docherty, who was best and fairest in 2016 and finished second in 2017 with Ciaran Byrne, Tom Williamson and Jed Lamb as well as O'Shea among the candidates to fill Docherty's void.

I should add that Ryan states that O'Shea is a rookie  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #106
Fox Sports' Ben Waterworth and Riley Beveridge provide a more considered opinion:

B: Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Ciaran Byrne

HB: Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson

C: Ed Curnow, Patrick Cripps, Sam Petrevski-Seton

HF: Darcy Lang, Charlie Curnow, Dale Thomas

F: Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Harry McKay

FOLL: Matthew Kreuzer, Marc Murphy, Matthew Kennedy

I/C: Tom Williamson, Paddy Dow, Jack Silvagni, Zac Fisher

EMG: Jarrod Pickett, Sam Rowe, Jed Lamb

OTHERS: David Cuningham, Tom De Koning, Jarrod Garlett, Nick Graham, Patrick Kerr, Sam Kerridge, Matthew Lobbe, Harrison Macreadie, Aaron Mullett, Lochie O’Brien, Cam O’Shea, Andrew Phillips, Cam Polson, Angus Schumacher

ROOKIES: Jesse Glass-McCasker, Kym LeBois, Cillian McDaid, Matt Shaw, Alex Silvagni

LONG-TERM INJURIES: Sam Docherty

INITIALLY, it seemed tough for the Blues to find a replacement for Sam Docherty, who suffered an ACL injury in his first pre-season training session that will sideline him for the rest of 2018. However Carlton will have several ways in which it can fill Docherty’s void, following the acquisitions of Aaron Mullett (trade), Cameron O’Shea (pre-season draft), Angus Schumacher (national draft) and Jarrod Garlett (national draft). Then you’ve got second-year players Tom Williamson and Harrison Macreadie, while Ciaran Byrne is also capable of linking up with Lachie Plowman and Caleb Marchbank. Also, Carlton will be hoping recruits Matthew Kennedy and Darcy Lang can play Round 1, while Paddy Dow will also push for an early debut.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #107
Fox Sports' Ben Waterworth and Riley Beveridge provide a more considered opinion:

I really hope that Thomas isn't in our best 22 come Round 1. That's not to be disrespectful of Daisy, I'm glad we re-signed him, but I'm hoping that he's legitimately pushed out of the team by one of the younger players. Pickett or Garlett should both be pushing hard for Round 1. Daisy will hopefully be used mostly in the NB's in a role like Armfield had last season leading the younger players, available to come up to the Seniors when injuries occur.

Other than that, I think that best 22 is pretty much spot on.

Reply #108
If Doc's stand-in is successful no doubt we'll have calls to cash in on his value in next year's trading??  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #109
Good side that
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #111
Only change I would make is Cuningham in for Fisher. Of the two, I think Cuningham will have a bigger impact on games.

Reply #112
Even getting a spot in the JLT series will be tough.

I think the Club rates Fisher ahead of Cuningham, but may the best man win!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #113
Even getting a spot in the JLT series will be tough.

I think the Club rates Fisher ahead of Cuningham, but may the best man win!

Fisher easily IMO...Cuningham is a cameo player who has talent but Fisher will be a meat and potatoes midfielder who
will be Simpson like in reliability IMO. I wanted Fisher pre-draft due to his excellent carnival series and he hasnt disappointed.
Cuningham has the tools to be a player and will be one of those players that doesnt impress in the seconds but will lift when he plays seniors IMO.
The main difference is consistency in effort...Fisher gives you a contest and repeat efforts, Cuningham can too but does it only when he feels like it....

Reply #114
Fair enough. My concern is that for all of Fisher's effort and tenacity - which he undoubtedly has in spades - he won't hurt the opposition enough. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Reply #115
We'll be laying naked on fresh tiger skins in front of an open fire drinking cabernet Carlton come the end of round one! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
We'll be laying naked on fresh tiger skins in front of an open fire drinking cabernet Carlton come the end of round one! ;)
;D ;D ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #117

My concern for the conservation of Panthera tigris prevents me from fully endorsing your scenario LP.  Perhaps you could insert "faux" or "synthetic" between "fresh" and "tiger"?  ;)

Reply #118

Now wouldn't that be something.  :D   :D
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #119
Cannot believe the level of wagon jumping going on in the media, you'd think we were flag favourites! I know this happens for many clubs, but it hasn't been part of our media landscape for so long it's hard to remember another case!

At the moment I've been unable to ID the sources, so;

If this is our clubs doing, a new look media department, then kudos to the club as they are light years ahead of where they were in the past!

If it's the sycophants at News Ltd and Fairfax, trying to beat up a story before an expected fall, then fork off the lot of you! In the nicest possible way! :D
The Force Awakens!