Skip to main content
Topic: Australia v Brazil (Read 5183 times) previous topic - next topic

Australia v Brazil

Got caught up working and missed most of the game but saw the dying minutes.

The Brazilian players were the worst 'sports' I have ever seen.

Refusing even a cursory handshake....

Go the Aussie girls and Same Kerr (Daniel's little sister) - an elite of world football.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: Australia v Brazil

Reply #1
Got caught up working and missed most of the game but saw the dying minutes.

The Brazilian players were the worst 'sports' I have ever seen.

Refusing even a cursory handshake....

Go the Aussie girls and Same Kerr (Daniel's little sister) - an elite of world football.

Watched bits of the 2nd half, the Brazillian girls seemed to think 5 minutes of effort was all they needed and were seriously put out when they lost again, obviously don't respect our girls but they'll have to get used  to it as we're on the rise!
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #2
3 wins in a row ain't a fluke1
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #3
Firstly, I am a soccer retard.
Why are the Matildas so good and the Socceroos are so crap? Should/Could the Maltidas coach coach the Socceroos as well?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Why are the Matildas so good and the Socceroos are so crap? Should/Could the Maltidas coach coach the Socceroos as well?

The world of womens soccer is a far cry from mens.

For instance, the national team players of most nations (even some that are considered poor) are playing elite level football, at elite clubs(predominantly european), earning elite cash, and with the elite coaching staff, physios, sports scientists, and the competition they face weekly force immense improvement in a short period of time.

The coach of the socceroos have to look at the best talent we have across the planet, and use a small sample size to create a team within a short period of time to try and get them playing a team game.

The Socceroos job is more about collecting a bunch of stars and trying to get them to play as a team.

In the womens game, the national teams of womens world soccer are barely proffesionals across the majority of competitions. Therefore you can take a team like Sydney FC's Womens side, and put them in the national team, and they would be on a similar level to most of their national teams opponents.

Its much more difficult to be competitive in that equation for men over women, because women across the world haven't been as proffesional for as long and the gulf in the level of competitiveness in the relative competitions isnt as large.

Food for thought.  Ill use Germany and Spain as my examples here.  The Spanish La Liga, and German Bundesliga both have roughly 18 clubs in their top flight competition.  Of those clubs, only the top few have access to loads of money and the rest are relying on manufacturing their own talent.  Each team would have a squad of roughly 40 players. Of those 40, at 14 clubs, they would be 90% German/Spanish (local).  They spend the majority of their wages on key players.  The elite local talent are pretty quickly poached to the top tier teams, and therefore there is a production line of quality players coming out of the "lesser" clubs, who are on a far superior level to our home grown talent because they are facing some of the worlds best players frequently.  The gulf of resources are to do with player wages, and not necessarily coaches and facilities.  Basically, 100 million for one player at the top clubs, would finance an entire squad at the lower clubs in these competitions, and beyond that, the actual coaching is no different.  Therefore, their players develope faster, in environments that are more quickly emulated at national level, and on the few occasions the national team meet, they dont fly 20 hours to hook up with some of their teamates.

The only nations that I know of that produce elite level talent without the money in the competitions are in South America.  Even then, they have such a large talent pool and not very diluted because they tend to play the leading national sport, and once again have such a large production line of players going abroad to europe, that they can choose a national team solely based in europe meaning that they have greater chances for success.  Australias best 3 will play in good leagues in europe, and the rest are in second tier competitions around europe or back in the A league, where the level of competitiveness isnt as great as lets say the Spanish 2nd division.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5

Sam Kerr.

Will likely go down as the greatest female player EVER.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6
Sam Kerr.

Wow! Is she that good? All I know about her is that she is the sister of Daniel Kerr. Never seen her play hence the ignorance.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #7
Sam Kerr.

I don't normally pay any attention to soccer at all but I saw Sam Kerr on the news last night. I didn't even know she was Daniel's sister. Anyway - wow! What an impressive player and athlete. All the best to her and the Aussie team.  8)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Love watching the matildas but theor standing in world soccer vs the Socceroos is due primarily to the females turning professional probably within the last 10 years vs 20+ for the men. So less competition.

That said you can't but help admire he likes Claire polkinghorne who I think is a criminologist and is well credentialed outside of the pitch.

If a World Cup was played tomorrow the Matilda's would be the hottest of hot favourites. They are playing beautifully and some of the goals in the last two games put the men to shame.

Reply #9
Sam Kerr.

Australian woman,  AND there are others that she needs to knock off that perch first (Lisa Da vanna).

Marta is currently regarded as best ever, and Mia Hamm from America is another vying for that title.

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
Australian woman,  AND there are others that she needs to knock off that perch first (Lisa Da vanna).

Marta is currently regarded as best ever, and Mia Hamm from America is another vying for that title.

Sam Kerr is 23, let's have the debate in 10 years!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
Two goals tonight against China.

The first one she beat three taller opponents for a header, the 2nd a remarkable long range bomb.

Best in t he world presently.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #12
Two goals tonight against China.

The first one she beat three taller opponents for a header, the 2nd a remarkable long range bomb.

Best in t he world presently.

Did not even make the shortlist for the top 3 in the FIFA Women's player of the year this year (should have).
Instead a non-pro college student was one of the 3 shortlisted (Deyna Castellanos), Castellanos can play btw.
How Sam Kerr didn't make the top 3 thought.... It seems outrageous.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #13
Sky Blue FC, 2015–[edit]
In 2015, Kerr joined Matildas teammate Caitlin Foord at Sky Blue FC following their participation at the FIFA Women's World Cup in Canada.[22][23] Kerr's six goals in her nine appearances ranked first on the team.[4]

During the 2016 season, Kerr made nine appearances for Sky Blue after being away with the national team in preparation for the 2016 Rio Olympics. She scored five goals during the regular season.[4] Kerr was named NWSL Player of the week for Week 18 after scoring two goals: an 80th minute equaliser against the Orlando Pride and a game-winning goal against the Pride a few days later.[24]

In the 2017 season, Kerr set a new NWSL record when she scored 4 goals in a single game after being down 3-0 to Seattle Reign at halftime. Sky Blue eventually won the match 5-4. At the age of 23, Kerr sat atop the all-time NWSL goalscoring table. Kerr won the NWSL Golden Boot and MVP award after finishing the 2017 season with a record-breaking 17 goals.

Go figure.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #14
Its probably to do with weighting for the competition combined with timing of the body of work required to win a competition.

i.e. Sam may have scored most of her goals after the cut off for that season.

If the competition is important, the W league isnt helping her.

IF the timing is off, she will come into the frame for the next title up for grabs.

Paul Hewson