[ 1 ] (16.7%)
Mundine - Still the Man!
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: December 01, 2018, 01:51:33 pm

Topic: Horn or Mundine (Read 19170 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Horn or Mundine

Reply #15
Yep,  thanks Mundine, please stay retired before you get really hurt.

The trash talking schtick was tired and you got schooled.
To his credit, he praised Horn after the fight and said that all the trash talk was part of the "entertainment". My view of Mundine changed ever so slightly for the better last night. He looked old, slow and scared but got in there with a young man who hits very hard. I respect that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
A fraud and a nobody right thru to the end

Reply #17
I dont like Mundine much either but a nobody is going a bit far. He has won some world titles.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #18
I dont like Mundine much either but a nobody is going a bit far. He has won some world titles.

Interesting assessment from Sven Ottke of the best fighters he faced:

BEST JAB
ANTHONY MUNDINE: He was giving me the hardest time in the ring. We were very surprised by Mundine’s jab. We only had two or three fights of him and you couldn’t really tell that he had such a great jab. I had to find that out in the ring. He was much better than we thought.

BEST DEFENSE
MUNDINE: It’s difficult to say because I was the defensive guy; everybody had to run after me [Laughs]. Mundine was unpredictable and fast. Until the KO it was a close fight. It was tough to hit him like I wanted to.

FASTEST HANDS
MUNDINE: It was a very difficult fight for me. Until the knockout it was an even fight.

BEST FOOTWORK
MUNDINE: Nobody was as fast as me. I fought lots of Americans and they aren’t that fast on their feet. Robin Reid told me in the ring to fight because he could not hit me. There was no special footwork with my opponents besides, again, Mundine.

BEST CHIN
CHARLES BREWER: It’s a very difficult question, because I’m not a hard puncher. I’m a technical boxer. I hit Brewer with all my power and he didn’t even flinch. It wasn’t my point to hit hard. My point was to move around and be fast.

SMARTEST
MUNDINE: He was a very smart boxer. It was like a chess match when we fought. It was close until the last punch.

STRONGEST
BREWER: Brewer was a naturally strong guy. You could tell from his physique.

BEST PUNCHER
THOMAS TATE: He was a strong boxer with power in his hands. I felt a lot of his punches, especially in our first fight. The second one was different.

BOXING SKILLS
MUNDINE: Mundine had great tactics; he was very fluid. He had a strong mind and a good fighting attitude.

BEST OVERALL
MUNDINE: It was my toughest fight in my whole career, until the knockout.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19

Ottke retired undefeated as a superstar so he was some fighter.

Reply #20

Yep no doubt Mundine was a very skilled boxer and made up for his lack of punching power by making sure he was
elite in the other area's...

Reply #21

A nobody? Yeah right.

As the promoter of last night's fight said Mundine is the best promoter of a fight ever. Sport flourishes on the good guy/bad guy thing. Ali, who was the best "promoter" ever, did it to a tee, wrestling makes millions on it. Polarise people and they'll pay million just to see you lose. Mundine deliberately pissed people off then counted the millions. After all these years no-where as ever worked it out. The old saying, there's a sucker born every minute. Mundine was one of the best things ever for boxing here. Bought alot of interest to a dying sport. Green, Geale, Soliman, Horn would testify being a part of the "con" counting their dollars.

Reply #22
Ahem..

I didn't even know he was fighting.

Washed up.

The end.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
I will never forget what he said about 9/11 >:(

Reply #24
I will never forget what he said about 9/11 >:(

Dont think any of us will and I dont like him as an individual for that and a whole lot of other things but he
was a skilful boxer and the commentary on here is more about his boxing prowess than his politics...

Reply #25
Dont think any of us will and I dont like him as an individual for that and a whole lot of other things but he
was a skilful boxer and the commentary on here is more about his boxing prowess than his politics...

That didn't come out as it should've. No way he meant it that way as he said. Watched a doco online about him yesterday. He explained it so much better.

We only see the showman like we do the likes of, say Hulk Hogan. Remove the camera and the mic and they are entirely different people. SEN said Hogan was pretty quiet away from the mic. Soon as the mic come on everything changed. It's a pretence. Hogan did it as the good guy, Mundine as the bad guy. Pays big $$$$$.

Reply #26
That didn't come out as it should've. No way he meant it that way as he said. Watched a doco online about him yesterday. He explained it so much better.

We only see the showman like we do the likes of, say Hulk Hogan. Remove the camera and the mic and they are entirely different people. SEN said Hogan was pretty quiet away from the mic. Soon as the mic come on everything changed. It's a pretence. Hogan did it as the good guy, Mundine as the bad guy. Pays big $$$$$.
Boxing like UFC is a show in itself in the lead up. Choc loves to gob off, any publicity is good publicity. For example, I paid 60 bucks just to watch him get sat on his ass good a proper, mostly fuelled by his antics at the weigh in. As someone else said, he does it to promote the fights, its how it works. I don't think he is the villain he portrays himself to be. On that jungle show he was on, it showed another side of him, almost like a scared, insecure little boy. Perhaps in retirement, he will mellow and we will all see another (better) side. We give criminals chances, he hasn't killed or hurt anyone outside the ring so I'm prepared to give him a go, here's to hoping. A mug fighter he definitely was not.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #27
Choc likes to shock!
He always has, but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed so some of his 'insights' went just a bit too far.

So in the balance between showmanship and offending he sometimes was closer to the latter.

As a result he will never win a popularity contest.
Despite that this is one of the most talented sportsman Australia has produced.

Only a few rare talents reach the elite level in different sports.

I think Mundine just suffers a bit from the fact that his elite talent was always just a bit  below his own declarations of greatness....and he was judged accordingly.

Would it have been better for him, and would he have been more popular if he had conformed to more 'acceptable' behaviour?

Probably.

Would he have made as much money?

Probably not!
That was the show.

Reply #28
I think I have mentioned that I met Tony Mundine many years ago.  It was a privilege to meet him, particularly as I had attended many of his fights including his bouts with Kahu Mahanga.  Tony was a very humble bloke with a handshake like a wet fish.  One of my companions said that he had the softest lips she’d ever kissed ????

Choc certainly didn’t inherit his old man’s humbleness and, as Lods suggested, he’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I think that he genuinely regrets some of the crap he’s said over the journey but listening to him trying to explain himself is damn painful. At least he admits that he struggles to articulate his thoughts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #29
Choc likes to shock!
He always has, but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed so some of his 'insights' went just a bit too far.

So in the balance between showmanship and offending he sometimes was closer to the latter.

As a result he will never win a popularity contest.
Despite that this is one of the most talented sportsman Australia has produced.

Only a few rare talents reach the elite level in different sports.

I think Mundine just suffers a bit from the fact that his elite talent was always just a bit  below his own declarations of greatness....and he was judged accordingly.

Would it have been better for him, and would he have been more popular if he had conformed to more 'acceptable' behaviour?

Probably.

Would he have made as much money?

Probably not!
That was the show.
Perfect summation Lods
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th