Skip to main content
Topic: Best team.....and next best (Read 17048 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best team.....and next best

Reply #15
OK, so i got bored waiting for stuff to happen, so i did this exercise most have done plenty of times before.

Pick your best team.

....and pick your next best team....your 2nds.

Now we still have a few spots on our list, so i limited it to 18 each, which also allows you to fill your bench with the best of the second lot.
FWIW, I didn't include any rookies (well, not good enough anyway) and i didn't include Byrne because....well he's barely a Carlton player at this point in time.

I think everyone else fits in there nicely....even with the 2 new additions McGovern and Fasolo.

Yes, Walsh and Setterfield are likely too, but we'll wait for that to through first ;)

FB   Marchbank      Weitering      Plowman
   J. Silvagni      Jones      Williamson

HB   Docherty      Rowe      Simpson
   Lamb      Macreadie      Cuningham

C   E. Curnow      Cripps      Petrevski-Seton
   Kerridge      Kennedy      Polson

HF   McGovern      C. Curnow      Fisher
   Kerr      Casboult      Garlett

FF   Fasolo      H. McKay      Thomas
   Lang      DeKoning      Pickett

R   Kreuzer      Dow      Murphy
   Phillips/Lobbe      O'Brien      Graham

What have i got wrong? What would you do different??
Dont know the make up just yet but the ones in red I have moved on from and dont form part of the puzzle for me. They are either delisted or play in the 2s to come in if the injury list is out of control.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
Dont know the make up just yet but the ones in red I have moved on from and dont form part of the puzzle for me. They are either delisted or play in the 2s to come in if the injury list is out of control.

+1

Garlett and Lang the only ones who can change my opinion.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #17
I like this game....

I'd make no major changes, I'd swap Jones for Rowe.

I know they aren't at the club yet and so probably why you haven't included them, but Walsh and Setterfield would definitely strengthen the 2nds team, and quite possibly keep a couple of guys in the 1sts on their toes too.

Even with those two, IMO this still shows that we are still a couple of mature mids short.
I'll be interested to see if SOS agree's, and if so, who he brings in.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #18
I reckon Kerridge has been much maligned.

His disposal has improved markedly, he is a good size and he runs for 4 quarters.....

I hope he retains a spot. And then may the best bloke get a game!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
Positionally, I'd also swap Ed and Murph, but no big deal.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #20
I reckon Kerridge has been much maligned.

His disposal has improved markedly, he is a good size and he runs for 4 quarters.....

I hope he retains a spot. And then may the best bloke get a game!

Admit he was a smidge better with his disposal in the last few games I saw him play FB but he would have to demonstrate that on a very consistent basis to turn my opinion of him around. If he could though it would be a very handy outcome for us as he is big bodied, attacks the ball and the opposition and does keep running.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
Admit he was a smidge better with his disposal in the last few games I saw him play FB but he would have to demonstrate that on a very consistent basis to turn my opinion of him around. If he could though it would be a very handy outcome for us as he is big bodied, attacks the ball and the opposition and does keep running.

When he got a regular game at the end of 2017 he dominated and his DE was betters thanboth of Gibbs and Murphy.....

Given our injuries this year, he should have replaced Kennedy (injured) in Rd 2 but the powers that be....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
Forward line looks a bit slow and lumbering, Fisher the only one there who woul apply decent forward pressure

Agree..I'd have Pickett starting if fit...50/50 on Fasalo too, good mark but not quick or defensively minded....maybe on the bench for him.
I think leg speed will still be an issue, McGovern, Setterfield and Fasalo adds more talent and firepower but makes us slower..
I know I'll be bagged for saying it but Wingard is that type of mid sized mobile smart X factor player we need.....McAdam might have provided similar...

Reply #23
Agree..I'd have Pickett starting if fit...50/50 on Fasalo too, good mark but not quick or defensively minded....maybe on the bench for him.
I think leg speed will still be an issue, McGovern, Setterfield and Fasalo adds more talent and firepower but makes us slower..
I know I'll be bagged for saying it but Wingard is that type of mid sized mobile smart X factor player we need.....McAdam might have provided similar...
EB I know its cherry picked but have a look at his highlights package on the website. Fas might not have pure leg speed, but have a look how quick he is at gathering, summing up the situation and having a ping. Obviously, we need to get him fit and he needs to get hungry.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
+1

Garlett and Lang the only ones who can change my opinion.

Agree with that.

Those 2 both need a good pre-season before we judge them too hard.

Reply #25
EB I know its cherry picked but have a look at his highlights package on the website. Fas might not have pure leg speed, but have a look how quick he is at gathering, summing up the situation and having a ping. Obviously, we need to get him fit and he needs to get hungry.

GTC..take your point he is a smart footballer but a bit old school in that he is a lead, mark and kick type player and doesnt apply much of that forward pressure,
For sure he hasnt been that fit to apply himself in that area but will need to improve to keep his spot......maybe the new fitness bloke Russell can get him fitter.
 I know someone who has worked for Collingwood and he always said Fazzy boy was one of the nicer humans at the Pies and had time for everyone....should be a fan favourite.

Reply #26
I'd be more impressed if he had a couple of tackles in that video.

Still he scores goals.  I'm not convinced that Wright would be better than him (Wright might work harder but fasolo has more tricks).

Paul Hewson

Reply #27
I'd be more impressed if he had a couple of tackles in that video.

Still he scores goals.  I'm not convinced that Wright would be better than him (Wright might work harder but fasolo has more tricks).

I much prefer Wright.

Reply #28
The day is coming fast where Daisy and Simmo's days are numbered (which we all knew)....

Yes.
in 2020
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #29
I much prefer Wright.

We'll see Paul.  Fasolo has yet to endear himself and might do enough to change your mind.

Keep in mind that wrights season this year was quite disappointing but he wasn't the lone ranger.  I did note his reliable kicking for goal failed him particularly after the buy.

Paul Hewson