Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 570666 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1260
The players around my local league are telling me the characteristics of the 2018 cricket balls has changed significantly compared to previous seasons. In particular the seam on the premium Kookaburra balls are retaining shape much longer. They are getting well beyond 40 overs and the ball is still seaming around strongly.

I wonder if that is contributing to this apparent plague of domestic form slumps?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1261
What some are hearing was that Paine was encouraged to play this match against the Vics with a view to selection. He made 52 against the Poms last week and 71no today. Tas still keeping picking him as a batsman only with Wade there. Being a good gloveman maybe he'll be selected.

So i'll go...

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Bancroft
Paine
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

Reply #1262
Rumour is that Bancroft will replace Renshaw, Neville for Wade and Cartright to bat at six.

Please don't shoot the messenger.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1263
Rumour is that Bancroft will replace Renshaw, Neville for Wade and Cartright to bat at six.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Cartwright' last batch of matches:

Recent matches
Bat & Bowl   Team   Opposition   Ground   Match Date   Scorecard
1/20, 0, 0   West Aust   v NSW   Sydney   4 Nov 2017   FC
61, 38   West Aust   v Tasmania   Perth   26 Oct 2017   FC
0/7, 15*   West Aust   v South Aust   Hobart   21 Oct 2017   LA
34   West Aust   v CA XI   Sydney   17 Oct 2017   LA
0/26, 5*   West Aust   v South Aust   Sydney   15 Oct 2017   LA
0/29   West Aust   v Queensland   Sydney   11 Oct 2017   LA
1/13   West Aust   v Tasmania   Perth   7 Oct 2017   LA

Picking him at 6 would be insane.

It needs to be a batsman pure and simple.

An he hardly bowls!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1264
Cartwright' last batch of matches:

Recent matches
Bat & Bowl   Team   Opposition   Ground   Match Date   Scorecard
1/20, 0, 0   West Aust   v NSW   Sydney   4 Nov 2017   FC
61, 38   West Aust   v Tasmania   Perth   26 Oct 2017   FC
0/7, 15*   West Aust   v South Aust   Hobart   21 Oct 2017   LA
34   West Aust   v CA XI   Sydney   17 Oct 2017   LA
0/26, 5*   West Aust   v South Aust   Sydney   15 Oct 2017   LA
0/29   West Aust   v Queensland   Sydney   11 Oct 2017   LA
1/13   West Aust   v Tasmania   Perth   7 Oct 2017   LA

Picking him at 6 would be insane.

It needs to be a batsman pure and simple.

An he hardly bowls!

No pressure on the top 5..... ::)...if England knock over Warner and Smith they will roll straight through that middle/ lower batting lineup..Starc might be having to bowl and bat us to victory.....
Dont get the hype on Cartwright....what is our obsession with finding a Botham?...it was Shane Watson, then M. Marsh.......now maybe Cartwright...I'd prefer Maxwell.....he may be eccentric but when he is on either batting, bowling, fielding he wins games.....ok he isnt everyones mate in the dressing room but he is a better cricketer than Cartwright, Marsh etc...

Reply #1265
AGREED, Maxwell b4 Cartwright by a country mile....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1266
AGREED, Maxwell b4 Cartwright by a country mile....

I also agree with this, don't get the hype over Cartwright, good player, but gee, got to earn your spot, particularly as the selectors stated that these 3 shield games would be very important for the batsmen to show some form.  Well in that case, he has to miss out......His bowling is not even Greg Chappell or Doug Walters standard, better off with Smith rolling a few over down.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1267
One of the things I have never understood about Smith (or Warner, for that matter) is that bowling seems to be such a low priority for a guy who could bowl well.
Smith played his 1st test as a spin bowler, but has barely bowled since.
I am happy he has developed into a good batsman, but he really missed out by not developing his bowling.

Warner is similar. On the few occaisons he has bowled his leggies, he has looked reasonable. I am also happy that he developed his batting, but he has really missed a trick by now developing his bowling.
In the past, 'part time bowling options' like Allan Border, Greg Chappell, Doug Walters and many others have REALLY helped the Aussie attack because they had the confidence to bowl and the ability to take wickets. Katich, for example, was quite a good a his chinamen and googlies. Nobody could read his googly. He should have bowled much more, but for injury.

Now both Smith and Warner SHOULD be regular parts of the attack. It wouldn't take that much. And it wouldn't hurt our spin attack.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #1269
Shaun Marsh ?  Really, FFS, hasn't this perennial under-achiever had enough sucks on the sauce bottle... 

Reply #1271
Surely this is bollocks. Renshaw has done nothing wrong at test level, and should be a walk up for the first test. Paine hasn't kept in the last 2 games, how can he possibly be named as the nations keeper? Shaun Marsh? Really? This is like a real life test of can nepotism really ever overcome lack of ability. FFS

Reply #1272
Surely this is bollocks. Renshaw has done nothing wrong at test level, and should be a walk up for the first test. Paine hasn't kept in the last 2 games, how can he possibly be named as the nations keeper? Shaun Marsh? Really? This is like a real life test of can nepotism really ever overcome lack of ability. FFS

Renshaw's simply not making runs, Bancroft is playing a mile better and is in brilliant form. Paine kept for Australia in the T20's this year and was very clean. Also kept and made 52 for the CA XI against England, including Broad and Anderson, prior to making 71no in the current Shield home. Question you have to ask, of the keepers, who is paying better? Easy answer is no-one as none of the others can make a run to save themselves. Can only pick on form and Paine is the only one who has any.

As for S. Marsh, that baffles me as he has been a consistent failure in the Test side. More importantly, the incumbent, Glenn Maxwell, has made a pair of 60's and a 45no in 3 of his last 4 innings, so that baffles me.

Reply #1273
Agreed, the Renshaw call is sensible and he will get another chance.

Paine is a bloody good cricketer.

Marsh... That's mate's looking after mates.  So much for advancement by merit.  CA... Clean up your act.

Reply #1274
Some blokes fail a hundred times and make a fifty at the appropriate moment to get a look in, others make hundreds every second time they bat but never get an opportunity.

I'll never understand it, because it's not about form or moneyball type stats.
The Force Awakens!