Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546448 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1230
You cannot kid glove fast bowlers.  They will break without hard match fitness.

There is complete paranoia that someone will sue because of a stress related back condition.

But I was at a cricket night not so long ago with Thommo and Merv and they seemed physically about right for guys their age and weight.

Can you imagine a coach or captain telling Thommo or Merv they can't bowl any more because they had their monthly allocation of overs?

When I was young you bowled as many overs as possible, or that you were physically capable of bowling. That was how you got wickets and perfected deliveries. Of course I was 6' as a 17 year old and I'm 4'11" now, but what's that got to do with it? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1231
There is complete paranoia that someone will sue because of a stress related back condition.

But I was at a cricket night not so long ago with Thommo and Merv and they seemed physically about right for guys their age and weight.

Can you imagine a coach or captain telling Thommo or Merv they can't bowl any more because they had their monthly allocation of overs?

When I was young you bowled as many overs as possible, or that you were physically capable of bowling. That was how you got wickets and perfected deliveries. Of course I was 6' as a 17 year old and I'm 4'11" now, but what's that got to do with it? :o

haha.....yeah, I still have the odd complaint every year or so from my back these days as a reminder to what I used to make it do every summer week in week out for over 15 years  !!

But seriously, the bowling restrictions on junior fast bowlers are just ridiculous.  I'm not saying that 16 year olds should be bowling 10 over spells & 30 overs in a day, but make the restrictions sensible.  Otherwise what happens when these underage bowlers who've only ever bowled 4 overs at a time & a small maximum amount for day suddenly get into senior ranks....where there are no bowling restrictions ?  Their bodys are just not prepared.  And that's when they get injured.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1232
haha.....yeah, I still have the odd complaint every year or so from my back these days as a reminder to what I used to make it do every summer week in week out for over 15 years  !!

But seriously, the bowling restrictions on junior fast bowlers are just ridiculous.  I'm not saying that 16 year olds should be bowling 10 over spells & 30 overs in a day, but make the restrictions sensible.  Otherwise what happens when these underage bowlers who've only ever bowled 4 overs at a time & a small maximum amount for day suddenly get into senior ranks....where there are no bowling restrictions ?  Their bodys are just not prepared.  And that's when they get injured.

It's ridiculous isn't it, at the end of the cricket season half these 16 years start running time trials over 5km and 10km on roads and footpaths for their local footclub! 4 overs is 500m of running on grass with effectively a javelin throw at the end of it! It's not uncommon for a javelin thrower to make 40 to 60 throws at training, that is 1200m of running for 60 throws alone without any other training.

Javelin Throw Practice

Mid-Season Training Sample

Circuit Warm Up
Dynamic explosive training can be used before the throwing session.
Medicine ball throws and plyometrics:

Throws-Jump Circuit (3 kilo shot women/ 5 kilo shot men)
Overhead shot put throws for distance x 10 throws
3 double leg hops in the sand x10
Front shot throws for distance x10 throws
3 backward double leg hops in the sand x10

Throwing
Easy throws up and down the field 4 x 75-80 meters
Walking three step throw on grass x 8 throws
Dynamic three step throw with high right knee drive x 6
Dynamic five step throw with high right knee drive x12
Event Specific Javelin Drills with Medicine Ball

Event Specific Throws (2 kilo women) (4 kilo men)
Kneeling two handed Javelin style throw x20
Arch and Throw (feet together) javelin style throw x20
Walking three step javelin throw x10

Sprint Training
Sprint training on the runway and on the track are important to develop the speed.

Sprint Training For The Javelin Thrower
8 x full approach runs
8 x 30 meter sprints from 3 point start
4x 100 meter easy running (70% speed)

I posed this very question to a sports scientist and never got an answer! But it seems they actively promote an activity in one sport and limit it in another!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1233
Shield form....more questions than answers !

Wade failed again, as did Renshaw,

Kawajah has nailed his spot down with a good 60 not out so far in a Qld batting collapse, George Bailey a lone 106 out of another Tassie batting collapse…..and Bancroft more runs again !!!

And we’ll see how good Maxwell is…in first drop at 1-3
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1234
Shield form....more questions than answers !

Wade failed again, as did Renshaw,

Kawajah has nailed his spot down with a good 60 not out so far in a Qld batting collapse, George Bailey a lone 106 out of another Tassie batting collapse…..and Bancroft more runs again !!!

And we’ll see how good Maxwell is…in first drop at 1-3

Bancroft is looking more likely than any other at the moment

Reply #1235
As each day passes this is looking more and more like the two worst ever Ashes test teams to go head to head, lacking all endeavor and consistency.

I'm just hoping they are so hopelessly bad together that the cricket comes out about square.

Otherwise it's going to be a long pre-season!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1236
Bancroft is looking more likely than any other at the moment

Agree on Bancroft, reckon he will line up in the 1st test..was reading that the selectors are considering Cartwright at No 6.
Lucky England dont have Stokes and their batting is flimsy though with Ali likely to bat 7 or 8 they do bat deep.

Reply #1237
I think our side is considerably stronger than Englands.
We win 5 nil.
Our batting is not great, but much better than their bowling.
Our bowling is seriously good. Their batting will get exposed

Reply #1238
Wonder if they'd be tempted to open the batting with him as well as keep. Be a tough ask but it's been done before and he's doing a good job of it at least at Shield level. We could then pick two batsman at 6 and 7, or an all-rounder at 7, or, if it's a flat track, an extra bowler. It opens things up alot.

Probably not, as it is a tough ask, but I thought i'd throw it out there given Bancroft is doing a good job of it.

Reply #1239
Ellyse Perry at number 6, in better form than any of the other possibles, and she can send down a few tidy overs if need be too

Reply #1240
I think our side is considerably stronger than Englands.
We win 5 nil.
Our batting is not great, but much better than their bowling.
Our bowling is seriously good. Their batting will get exposed

Agree our bowling is much better especially at home...I'll go 4-0, though I think the games will be close as I expect their tail to provide nuisance runs.
Their bowling consists of two bowlers only who are both ageing and I expect that to cost them.....

Reply #1241
Bancroft certainly pushing a strong case here. 76 not out and 86 last game against Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon, now 140  not out against SA. They said if you put your hand up in these 3 games you'll be considered, I think they have to play him

Reply #1242
Bancroft certainly pushing a strong case here. 76 not out and 86 last game against Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Lyon, now 140  not out against SA. They said if you put your hand up in these 3 games you'll be considered, I think they have to play him

I think it's now a question of where.
Open?
Open and keep? Unlikely
6? Maybe
7 and keep? Maybe
He could be quite handy as the keeper, giving us someone to bat with no.5, 6, Cummins & Starc.

Reply #1243
I haven't seen enough of his keeping, but if he's competent he would be a bonus at 7 and keeping

Reply #1244
Agree on Bancroft, reckon he will line up in the 1st test..was reading that the selectors are considering Cartwright at No 6.
Lucky England dont have Stokes and their batting is flimsy though with Ali likely to bat 7 or 8 they do bat deep.

Stokes will 'appear'. You watch.

After a 1st test belting.
Finals, then 4 in a row!