Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW: Dees receive compensation for Pearce (Read 2379 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW: Dees receive compensation for Pearce

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-12/aflw-dees-receive-compensation-for-pearce
AFLW rules allow for list changes and possible compensation past the point of final list lodgements following the trade and re-signing period.

And the AFL confirmed Melbourne has added a player on its list to replace skipper Daisy Pearce, who is pregnant and won't play next season.
....while Carlton will be allocated pick 42. [For Sophie Li]
Seems the AFL are happy to dish out compensation picks left, right and center for AFLW players/teams.

Hopefully they are still in the giving mood with us.

Re: AFLW: Dees receive compensation for Pearce

Reply #1
We all realise pregnancy can be unplanned, but if you are silly enough to sign an AFLW player long term who is actively trying to get pregnant do you really deserve any compensation?

Does this mean every AFLW pregnancy from this time forward will be categorised as "unplanned" and be due compensation, or is Daisy a special case?

Can we expect Parental Leave to feature in the future AFL plans?

Many posters will think I'm being harsh, but in the detail of this issue lies the difference between being an amateur and a professional in a team sport! The debate over equal pay, equal billing, competition integrity, all expose a desire to be professional, now shrouded in something potentially so amateur! PS; I don't want pressure heaped on Daisy, but it seems clear a club and a team is now paying a global price for her very personal choices!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
We all realise pregnancy can be unplanned, but if you are silly enough to sign an AFLW player long term who is actively trying to get pregnant why do you really deserve any compensation?

Does this mean every AFLW pregnancy from this time forward will be "unplanned" as due compensation, or is Daisy a special case?

Can we expect Parental Leave to feature in the future AFL plans?

Little birdy tells me that this was very much NOT unplanned.

I think there were whispers of a shorter season out there before it became public, that was the final straw as she'd already delayed getting pregnant previously.

But yes, i think its a crock.

Not sure of the exact breakdown, but i think we are talking about the clear minority here who from this league.

Reply #3
Little birdy tells me that this was very much NOT unplanned.

I don't blame her, the AFLW is now a competition with less integrity than Underwear Football League!
The Force Awakens!