Skip to main content
Topic: RD 16 : Blues Slaughter Saints (Rejoicing & Backslapping) (Read 27952 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 16 : Blues Slaughter Saints (Rejoicing & Backslapping)

Reply #60
We looked a million dollars for three and a half quarters.

The two cent effort in the second quarter is an indication of why we sit where we are on the ladder.

Yep, agree wholeheartedly Lods.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61

The two cent effort in the second quarter is an indication of why we sit where we are on the ladder.

Application not talent?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #62

Application not talent?

That's the question....isn't it.
We were playing St Kilda.
We wont have long to find out though.
Make no mistake about it, the question marks over this side are going to be answered in full over the next 7 weeks and we'll know exactly where we stand.

Reply #63
Make no mistake about it, the question marks over this side are going to be answered in full over the next 7 weeks and we'll know exactly where we stand.

Do we not know the answer to that question or do we know it, refuse to accept it and are just hoping for evidence to the contrary?

Reply #64

Application not talent?

I remember us going through lapses in Q's when Ratts was coaching. We lost several close games because of our inability to stem the tide when opposition got on a roll. Ratts answer was very simplistic ie slow play down and keep possession, It was clearly visible that players did this at stages when we were being seriously challenged. Granted we still lost games that we shouldn't have lost but there was a clinical strategy around it. Whats our strategy for overcoming challenges similar to our 2nd Q against the Aints ?. it could be anything, punch the fork out of the main opposition play maker, slow the game to trickle, whatever it is id just like to know the strategy around it. 
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #65
Across the Afl there seems to be the following ways to stop opponents momentum.

1.  Turn the game into a contested scrap.

2.  Starve your opposition of the easy/uncontested ball.

3.  Take the game on and turn it into a shootout.

In the past we were good at the last one, but it appears we never really figured out how to battle through the other ones.  To be fair to our playing group contesting and starving your opposition of the footy seems to be something they are unsuited to.

The trouble being is that the best sides in the Afl have no trouble with any of these, and I noticed the Bombers did this to Port on Saturday and it paid dividends.  Invariably the grand final tends to be a bit of an arm wrestle.

In any case, we need to get better at the hotly contested stuff as we just don't have enough that thrive in those conditions.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #66
@DU - the strategy is a 'process'.  :P

Only saw the highlights package of the game here, its been far too long since we flogged a side like that.

Reply #67

Only saw the highlights package of the game here, its been far too long since we flogged a side like that.

no doubt that your spot on Raven, as a keen supporter Id just like to know the specifics of that process.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #68

@ Brettie - I usually agree with your posts, but I'm sure I speak for all the females on this site when I say that your comment below is an insult to vaginas, which are actually pretty useful, effective and extremely tough (try pushing a baby through Warnock)! ;)

"Warnock....as I said at the game, he's a 206cm vagina. What a poor excuse for a footballer, let alone a ruckman he is. Soft, ineffectual, basically he's a nuisance and nothing more.''

Reply #69
That Gibbs handball to Judd in space who burned off his opponent and nailed the banana was the play of the day IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #70
That Gibbs handball to Judd in space who burned off his opponent and nailed the banana was the play of the day IMO.

Yep, that was great - I was sitting directly behind the trajectory of that handball and it was exquisite to watch!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #71

Or as Gibbs detractors would say, a pissweak handball under pressure to nobody! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
Murphy was ok and did some push and shove stuff which is out of character but I like the way he is warming to his task as captain...

His day was just okay but stamped his leadership on the game with that mark he took going back with the flight. Twice in two weeks that he's done it and his last 5-6 weeks has been real captain's stuff. That's the kind of thing that's been missing from his game his entire career (even 2011) and the kind of thing that separates the good players from the great ones. I think we may have ourselves a captain.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #73

The importance of that cannot be underestimated. Yes, the Aints were shizen, but over the past few years we would still have still made hard work of it. Great shot in the arm.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #74
Murphy was ok and did some push and shove stuff which is out of character but I like the way he is warming to his task as captain...

His day was just okay but stamped his leadership on the game with that mark he took going back with the flight. Twice in two weeks that he's done it and his last 5-6 weeks has been real captain's stuff. That's the kind of thing that's been missing from his game his entire career (even 2011) and the kind of thing that separates the good players from the great ones. I think we may have ourselves a captain.

If he continues to stand up to the challenge he will become the captain we really need.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.