Skip to main content
Topic: Our Inability to Win Close Games (Read 18435 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Our Inability to Win Close Games

Reply #15
To be honest, I don't think we are that far away. Yes, we do need more poise and skill, but that will come. Our biggest issue is the lack of a go to forward. If we had one, especially if that guys could kick goals (something many of our players find difficult), WE would be the ones doing the clutch things and coming home victorious.
Yes, we do have our issues, and getting them sorted on and off the field is a must. But we have been so close so often that it won't take a lot to start winning a few close ones. Once we get the confidence by beating a few of these teams in close games, we will gain confidence and start doing it more often. It is very much a self belief thing.

Totally disagree.

This is the form of comments as expected from the Club

We are "nearly there"  , we "may" improve , we "äre unlucky", we need "a bit of luck".

Facts are we are not there and we are 14th.

Reply #16
Fair enough. Feel free to disagree. The next time I am perfect will be the first.

However, I do acknowledge that we DO have problems, problems that need serious solutions. We have been critical of the board, the coaches, the recruiters and the development staff (not to mention the players), and with some reason. However, we HAVE been making changes. I would like to see how these changes go before I go and suggest we recreate the wheel. Again.
Yes, we DO have issues winning close ones, but more than anything else the issues are in the heads of the players and coaches. All we need to do is to start getting over the line and the self belief will come back. In our heyday, it was the self belief, the willing not to lose that managed t get us over the line. Having a few decent players helped.
The players will come, even if it takes a while and we go through more changes on and off the field. Bit no matter how good the players, we need to instil the BELIEF, the DESIRE, the self confidence and belief in each other that Geelong and Hawthorn have at the moment. Then we will win the close ones.
What made Stephen Silvagni a great player, not just a good one, wasn't his strength, his speed or his leap: it was his self belief and his desire to WIN. That was what he pulled out in 1995 and he kept some of the games' greatest players almost kickless as a result. There was just NO WAY he was going to beaten, not by Carey, not by Ablett, not by anyone.
When our guys believe that about themselves, we will more than pretenders, ore than contenders, we will be back where we belong.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Interesting enough Sam Rowe whilst not in the same level is one of few key defenders we have had since SOS to display that mentality of competitive instinct, where losing a contest hurts him.

It's quite refreshing to see, and Simon White seems to have it too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
Maybe we don't win because we are too tired from being out late!  ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Interesting enough Sam Rowe whilst not in the same level is one of few key defenders we have had since SOS to display that mentality of competitive instinct, where losing a contest hurts him.

Setanta also had it to an extent. This is how damaged our culture has become, because once pulling on the Guernsey was all the motivation a player needed. The Gen Y selfish  attitude combined with a series of events which led to a prolonged lack of success at Carlton has savagely compromised our integrity. We need a flag to return the club to it's iconic status asap. Mick can do this. #Believe.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #20

Bret Thornton was criticised for this throughout the second half of his career.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #21

I thought Thornton was criticized for blaming others after he had either lost a contest or been caught out of position.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #22
Here are a couple of quotes from Chris Judd in an interview put up on the CFC website

Q:(Tony DeBolfo) And do you see real hope in terms of where this team is heading?

A: (Chris Judd) Yes – and these are the sort of things you have to weigh up. The team is becoming more competitive across the whole group, and I think that desire to win is more evenly spread across the whole 22 players who enter the field each week – and that probably hasn't been a real strong suit of this club in my time here.

Q: You’re talking about people in survival mode.

A: Yeah. When your club has had poor results for a long time players tend to focus more on surviving the experience rather than achieving anything. When I first got here seven years ago a large number of players were probably more focused on just getting a contract or, if they were good players on getting good contracts than they were focused on how we were going to achieve anything as a group because that’s just what happens in organisations that are under performing – and that’s not unique to this club. That would happen across the board in companies across the world and poor performing sports clubs alike. But that has gradually changed in my time here which is much for the better, to the point that you’re really confident with all the 22 guys who take to the field that they really want to win for the club on the day. And that level of confidence is the highest it’s been in my time here, and that’s really encouraging and something worth thinking about.

It sheds a bit of light on where we are coming from, and that we have and are moving on from there.

The journey back to the top has started, let's not derail or detour the trip through impatience.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #23
@Amers

Very interesting insights there A. Shows why the journey has been so hard, i.e. we started from a very poor place where everyone was basically looking after #1.

I guess that teamwork and playing for the team has to be the highest priority set for each player and that their performances will all be fairly measured on how well they do that. This is a major factor in how the Hawks, Swans and Cats have become so successful.

We have to establish an environment where each role is defined, each player has a role and clearly understands that role and is given clear expectations as to what is required of him to successfully fill that role. I've heard Leigh Mathews talk about this a number of times.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
Stop the Board divisions and factions will be the key..thats the first thing maguire did at collingwood.....

Reply #25
Stop the Board divisions and factions will be the key..thats the first thing maguire did at collingwood.....

Some close to that club will claim McGuire was the creator of what he cured! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26

Some close to that club will claim McGuire was the creator of what he cured! ;)

This is serious LP...our club is at a tipping point
Maguire won a premiership sticks didnt....

Reply #27
This is serious LP...our club is at a tipping point
Maguire won a premiership sticks didnt....

So may Little, but that won't make it right! ;)

We don't stoop to doing whatever it takes.

Read Judd discussion of fulfillment and you can clearly see there is another way!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Close games are won when the class shines. Class has been a rare commodity in our side for so long.

Reply #29

I thought Thornton was criticized for blaming others after he had either lost a contest or been caught out of position.

Nup, htat was part of it, but his general demeanour was being criticised for that very reason.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!