Skip to main content
Topic: Our Inability to Win Close Games (Read 18432 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Our Inability to Win Close Games

Reply #30
After the Fremantle game it got me thinking about are regular inability to win close games.

My Carlton mate just provided me with the statistics:

Carlton have lose 32 matches by 18 points or less since 2008.

That is 1 in 5 games since 2008

This says to me that our list has no poise under pressure and/or skills to finish off games.

I have decided to amend this thread:

Carlton has lost 33 matches by 18 points or less since 2008

Reply #31
have a fit side with a good game plan and hopefully no more close games.The most important is a bit of luck.

Reply #32
...or it suggests that our mob try their guts out all the way to the end (typically pulling back a few goals late to reduce the margin) but ultimately lack class and poise.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33
...or it suggests that our mob try their guts out all the way to the end (typically pulling back a few goals late to reduce the margin) but ultimately lack class and poise.

Agree. I think also after years of being hammered, missing out on finals etc, the boys started having a few wins here and there, and started a slow climb up the ladder. Pretty soon we were being praised for having "honorable losses", and that has become the de facto standard. "We're getting praised because we got close to beating a top 4 team, therefore we must be doing ok."  IMO, I think remnants of this mentality still linger.

Reply #34
@Paul

They could still lack that final bit of concentration, and as the Prof says, poise to get us over the line and as a result make critical errors. MM thinks this is the case, from his comments.

If we can get those out of the way we could be a LOT more competitive, plus a couple more better quality players who can drag a team over the line and build belief going forward.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36
@Paul

They could still lack that final bit of concentration, and as the Prof says, poise to get us over the line and as a result make critical errors. MM thinks this is the case, from his comments.

If we can get those out of the way we could be a LOT more competitive, plus a couple more better quality players who can drag a team over the line and build belief going forward.

Fair enough cookie. I agree with Prof btw.

I got the impression from Mick's comments a few weeks ago, that he was hinting at a mindset issue (the comments about constantly losing close games). His constant referencing of Selwood, and his belief that Selwood wills himself to the right position and wills himself and his team to win, reinforces this idea for me. But who knows ?

Reply #37
@Paul

You could well be right there too Paul. It's probably not attributable to one specific thing. Mick though talks a lot about our unnecessary errors, and they hopefully will  reduce as the team gets closer.

Going back to the old team theory of Forming, Storming, Norming and Performing I'd venture to guess we are now through Forming and Storming and have entered the Norming stage. We should reduce our errors and start to win more of those close ones next year hopefully (if the theory is right!).

Reply #38
@Paul

You could well be right there too Paul. It's probably not attributable to one specific thing. Mick though talks a lot about our unnecessary errors, and they hopefully will  reduce as the team gets closer.

Going back to the old team theory of Forming, Storming, Norming and Performing I'd venture to guess we are now through Forming and Storming and have entered the Norming stage. We should reduce our errors and start to win more of those close ones next year hopefully (if the theory is right!).

Yep - I expect / hope that will be the case.

Reply #39

How many have they won by 18 points or less?

That's a good question.

To me the whole question is a stupid one anyway.

It's not like we've got an illness, it's just something you work on.

It was not so long ago we were lamenting our kicking for goal, hardly gets a mention now. It's just something you work on.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #40

It's not like we've got an illness, it's just something you work on.It was not so long ago we were lamenting our kicking for goal, hardly gets a mention now. It's just something you work on.

Exactly. Unless you've spent your time cut off from civilisation in Alaska for the past 6 years, you would know that we've struggled to be competitive for four quarters in too many games and that has ultimately shown in our win/loss record. Our recent efforts including the loss to the handbaggers do seem to indicate that we have been working hard to address that and as a result there is a lot more positivity for both the playing group and the supporters. Add to this the signatures of Judd, Gibbs and Menzel (three guns that could have easily moved on) and I believe we have significantly turned the corner. Bring on 2015!!
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #41

How many have they won by 18 points or less?

That's a good question.

It's not like we've got an illness, it's just something you work on.

It was not so long ago we were lamenting our kicking for goal, hardly gets a mention now. It's just something you work on.
We have won 20 games by 18 or less in the same time frame so it's not like we lose all the close ones but a reversal of those figures would have improved our results the last few years.

Geelong always seem to win the close ones.

Thanks for that - I didn't get time for that analysis

Therefore, since 2008:

We win 38% of the close games
We lose 62% of the close games

See above

Reply #42

You may as well be talking about 1908.

It's not rocket science. As teams get better they win more, including close ones. Geelong's record against the Hawks is one to ponder because it was 12 straight or some such thing.

But the Hawks lost quite a few close finals after 2008 and they came to one conclusion, fitness.

It's just part of growing up.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #43

You may as well be talking about 1908.

It's not rocket science. As teams get better they win more, including close ones. Geelong's record against the Hawks is one to ponder because it was 12 straight or some such thing.

But the Hawks lost quite a few close finals after 2008 and they came to one conclusion, fitness.

It's just part of growing up.

Exactly, "Losing Close Ones" is an outcome and there are causes for it. MM and the boys have to isolate and address the causes in order to fix the problem.

Reply #44
I've often watched us make sone very rookie mistakes during games and thinking that you can't stuff up like that and win games of football.

I wonder if Mick is of the same opinion.

With momentum being important every error works to kill your team's momentum and hands it to your opposition.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson