Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Williamstown at Willi on Sunday (Read 9733 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues vs. Williamstown at Willi on Sunday

Williamstown vs. Northern Blues   
Sunday, August 10
Burbank Oval at 2:00pm

Williamstown

B:   Fahey   Faulks   Ferguson
HB:   Sing   Mangan   Hetherington
C:   Davies   Jolley   Masters
HF:   Banner   Tighe   Johnstone
F:   McMahon*   Clouston   Wheeler
R:   Meese   Marcon   Lambert
Int:   Casley   Dorgan   McCallum    McKenzie   Owen   Anastasio    Woods   Charleston   Critchley

Northern Blues

B:   Byrne   Watson   McInnes
HB:   Armfield   Dirago   Temay
C:   Hunt*   Cripps   Lucas
HF:   Garlett   Anthony   Bransgrove
F:   Wilson   B. Johnson   Walton
R:   Warnock   Holman   Wilkinson
Int:   J. Gleeson   Bolger   Reynolds    Cattapan   Totevski   T. Thomas    Watson   Russell   Johnston

I would really like to beat Willi: I have never appreciate having guys poached, and Willi poached half the Northern team. Last time we beat them: we had a somewhat better list that day with more players in form and fitness. This time it looks like they will too strong.
Nice to see Cripps being named: I wonder just how close to playing he really is?
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Northern Blues vs. Williamstown at Willi on Sunday

Reply #1
Williamstown vs. Northern Blues   
Sunday, August 10
Burbank Oval at 11:00am

Williamstown

B   Bese   Currie   McCallum
HB   Charleston   Critchley   McKenzie
C   Dorgan   Bugeja   Gallucci
HF   Gibbons   Conway   Nastasi
F   Anastasio   Casley   Wyatt
R   Deery   Carr   Woods
Int   Walshe   Hoghton   Walker    Curtis   Greiser   Mead    McConnon   Miller   Bench    Bewley   Cashman   Flack
   Hayes      

Northern Blues

B:   Watson   Grimes   Callaway
HB:   Taglieri   M. Gleeson   Russell
C:   Posar   Jenkins   McCann
HF:   Haynes   Dufficy   Reynolds
F:   Dorman   Roberts   Johnston
R:   Bolger   J. Gleeson   T. Thomas
Int:   Kur   McDonald   Johnson   Roberts   Sutton   Yelland    Ballard   Perry    Curnow    Dawson   Tardio   

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Lol @ Williamstown ruck group

Reply #3
Yes, I noticed that their one ball brigade was the Northern Blues one from last year (when Marcon was fit anyway). They may have motivation, but I hope we can match them in that area.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Yes, I noticed that their one ball brigade was the Northern Blues one from last year (when Marcon was fit anyway). They may have motivation, but I hope we can match them in that area.

Hoping to see the boys put up a good fight. Yep, packing the thermos and filling the tank and heading out west to watch this one on Sunday. Fair load on the shoulders of 206, Cripps and Holman.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #5
In the end it was a 40 point win to Willi, as they Blues couldn't keep it going. Half way through the last quarter it was only 3 points the difference.

2014 AFL Victoria Development League
Williamstown   4.1  9.6  13.13  20.20 (140)
Northern Blues   3.3  3.3  6.6  7.6 (48)

GOALS:
Williamstown: Nastasi 4 Conway 4 Deery 3 Critchley 2 Wyatt 2 Greiser  Anastasio  Gibbons  Bewley  Bugeja
Northern Blues: Johnston  Dorman  Sutton  Kur  Gleeson  Dufficy  Taglieri

BEST:
Williamstown: Gallucci Carr Deery Conway McKenzie Nastasi
Northern Blues: Gleeson Roberts Johnston Posar Watson McCann

This was a pretty bad start, but considering how many Blues are unavailable at the moment.....

2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Williamstown   1.1  8.8  9.10  14.18 (102)
Northern Blues   4.5  5.6  9.8  9.8 (62)

DISPOSALS: Cattapan 33, Lucas 22, Byrne 21, Totevski 21, Watson 20

GOALS: Cripps 2, Johnson 2, Bolger, Cattapan, Garlett, Totevski, Byrne

Very interesting to see how the various reports pan out, but it doesn't look like Garlett or Warnock had much influence.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
In the end it was a 40 point win to Willi, as they Blues couldn't keep it going. Half way through the last quarter it was only 3 points the difference.

Looks like the wind won.

Reply #7
The Williamstown oval should be relocated. Pox of a location for a football ground... great for cricket, though.

Rained for a big part of the first qtr. NBs kicked with the aid of a 450kph wind in the first, but due to the rain (and Willi knowing how to really bottle things up when kicking into the wind) we didn't really take full advantage. When Willi kicked with the wind in the 2nd, they won the game with a 7 goal haul - we got 8 goals total with the wind, they got 12 goals total with the wind.

Despite the final margin, the undermanned NBs put up a really good effort. They gave their all but just didn't have the cattle. The final score line flatters Willi.... our boys really did show great endeavour and just fell away in the last ten minutes (kicking into a gale, remember) and for half the 2nd qtr. It's a skill playing this ground.

For mine, Byrne was best of the CFC listed blokes... took close to mark of the day and showed real poise and endeavour in difficult conditions. I know MM said in his media conference that Byrne was coming along well but wouldn't get a senior gig before the year was out - might want to re-think that! He showed heaps more than many of his senior listed team mates.

Lucas - got plenty of it and was allowed to play loose. Under pressure did his usual stuff re poor disposal. When he had a little time he did better... but so would I. If he makes the better players it will be because of disposals only and nothing to do with real effectiveness. Cripps didn't get as much but was more effective.

Watson - played forward when we had the wind and back when Willi did, so he was in the play a lot which will artifically inflate his stats. Led twice and marked! Actually, he worked really hard but just looked like a capable seconds big man. No way would he replace any of our talls in the seniors. Got outsmarted by his opponent on a few occasions.

Warnock - really did work hard against a good opponent (Meecey). You could see he's giving his all but the conditions really didn't help big blokes... especially one who manages a contested mark every 2 1/2 years. Would you bring him in to replace Wood? Nuh.

Cripps - getting back to match fitness. Started a huge scuffle in the second qtr... doesn't take a backward step. Cost us a goal (him flattening a Willi player then wanting to go on with it) but I liked seeing the kids dash of mongrel - just gotta be smarter with it. Willi put a lot of work into nullifying him but he was still good... not dominant, but good. Kicked a ripper goal with the wind. Lined up from the wing!!!! Yes, lined up from the wing, wind behind him ...kept going back before kicking, so much so I thought he was going to end up in the bay. Anyway, got onto a drop punt and it sailed through... without exaggeration, about 75 metres (wind assisted). Can't wait to see him after a preseason or 4!!! (bet he's now about 193/4 cms... saw him standing next to Watson and there was FA between them in height.

Temay - there should be a Royal Commission into how this bloke stole one of our early picks. Mistakes, ineffectual... maybe he knows. What a waste.

Holman - better than last time I saw him, more like how he was early in the season. Had a defensive/tagging role and was really hard at it. Lots to like about his game today. Obviously still learning but his attitude sure was better today.

McInnes - so sad to see how far he has slipped. Still just the one dimensional defender and now he doesn't do that nearly as well as he used to.

Armfield - plenty of on-field leadership but was not amongst our best today. Tried, but even seems to have lost a yard. I wonder if he's still recovering from injury or something.

Garlett - I watched Jeffy closely, especially early and I really believe he was giving his all. But his contribution was minimal... looks like a lost, dispirited little bloke at present. Better attitude, but little worked for him today.

Reynolds - played down back and showed something. Obviously a part of his development now... to play down back. Got to contests, spoilt well, moved well but still a fair way to go.

Johnson - flashed in and out of the game. Kicked a couple of good goals and does look dangerous near the big sticks. Strong and hard at the contest just went missing for long periods (a litttle like his last senior game).

Of the Preston boys... special mention must go to, as usual, the Skipper. Box was in everything and did plenty of good things.
Wilkinson was busy but was caught far too often with the aggott.
I'd be pretty surprised if Jack Anthony is not Rookied by someone at season's end (as a defender to take, say, the 3rd tall forward). His defensive work today was really good.

Would consider for promotion? Cripps, Byrne. Maybe Jeffy, not sure he's going to get much more benefit from running around in the twos.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
@Baggers...great review and really loved reading about Cripps looking after business...his and others.. :)...leadership potential.

I like Byrne..has a nice style about him, some players just look classy and I think he has a bit more polish than say Sheehan who is very workmanlike and solid but Byrne is
the type of player who could win matches as a half forward kicking goals....
Mick said he was a bit away from playing seniors but I wouldnt mind seeing him sneak a game in just to get a taste and set him up for next season...

Reply #9
Great report, thanks Baggers.
Really excited about Cripps. The NB's really have a taste of the future and the past with blokes like Cripps, Johnson and Byrne taking steps, while we lament the likes of Watson, McInnes and Lucas who promised so much and delivered so little.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #10
Outstanding report Baggers; you do much better when you don't have me distracting you. :-X

Did the good lady boil the water for your thermos? ;)

Reply #11
It sounds like our recruiting department/development coaches have finally started getting things right.

I'm already more excited by Menzel, Graham, Cripps, Holman, Byrne and Sheehan than I ever was with Watson and co.

Reply #12
It sounds like our recruiting department/development coaches have finally started getting things right.

I'm already more excited by Menzel, Graham, Cripps, Holman, Byrne and Sheehan than I ever was with Watson and co.

I agree. Just need to get Menzel's pen to paper. More important than Judd, Waite, Robbo or Jeffy.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #13
@Baggers...great review and really loved reading about Cripps looking after business...his and others.. :)...leadership potential.

I like Byrne..has a nice style about him, some players just look classy and I think he has a bit more polish than say Sheehan who is very workmanlike and solid but Byrne is
the type of player who could win matches as a half forward kicking goals....
Mick said he was a bit away from playing seniors but I wouldnt mind seeing him sneak a game in just to get a taste and set him up for next season...
x2
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
@Baggers

Excellent report mate, good to see you continuing the great RR tradition!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.