Skip to main content
Topic: Vale Gough Whitlam (Read 6810 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Vale Gough Whitlam

Reply #1
"So may we say God save the Queen, because nothing will save the Governor General".

I don't think I was alive when he said these words but I know them very well. RIP.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
"cause Gough was tough till he hit the rough" - MIDNIGHT OIL
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #3
A great intellectual and a great Australian.

Reply #4
Gough was worthy to barrack for the Blues
more so than Malcolm and Bob Menzies

Reply #5
A magnificent Australian.
A Patriot
A Legend.

Reply #6
Definitely get wild variations regarding his work. Big historical figure, no doubt. RIP

Reply #7
A colossus of Australian politics. 98 is an innings completely befitting this great man. Nearly got the ton.

RIP. 

Reply #8
Gough did SOME good things but if you were like me and struggled under 18% home loan interest you may not be so kind.   >:(  >:(  >:(   How would you like that on your current home loan?  Please think also about the huge ego of a person who DEMANDED that his ministers and fellow parliamentarians refer to him as 'Leader'.   It took him a very long time to get a ministry together and meanwhile he controlled the whole show with only one other.  Also remember too that if Australia felt that he was hard done by in his dismissal why then did he lose the following election in a landslide?  A great voice, did some good things but they were outweighed by his failures.

Reply #9
The main problem Gough faced was that he had far too many incompetent and dodgy characters on his front bench.  With that hindrance, he still managed to bring in sweeping reforms that we're still benefiting from today or we will at least until the Suppository of All Wisdom takes them away.

Gough was a great Australian and will be sadly missed. RIP

By the way, Malcolm Turnbull certainly went up in my estimation today.  He is a statesman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
By the way, Malcolm Turnbull certainly went up in my estimation today.  He is a statesman.

Turnbull is a great Prime Minister in limbo. A reflection of the tragic political climate within which we are all pawns in the media games that ultimately have no real benefit to the Australian society. Abbott v Turnbull should be a no brainer yet here we are.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #11
Stole this from the AGE...

So why does his inevitable and any-day-now-for-the-past-several-years death strike such a chord?

I think it's partly because of the invidious comparison with what our nation has become.

The optimism, the positivity, the change, the opening up, the justice, the independence, the betterment of the nation, the internationalisation that Whitlam sought and represented has been replaced after four decades with a more general negativity, with so little ambition, with a conservative determination to uphold the status quo or even return to some earlier imagination of it, with white-bread nationalism resplendent.

I fear we don't mourn Gough, but ourselves

Hmmmm!!
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #12
I never liked the guy, but have to pay my respect for those who have passed away. They all have family members and friends that could be different people to what they represented in life. RIP, and all the best wishes to the entire family and friends.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #14

Turnbull is a great Prime Minister in limbo. A reflection of the tragic political climate within which we are all pawns in the media games that ultimately have no real benefit to the Australian society. Abbott v Turnbull should be a no brainer yet here we are.

Pure speculation
Turnbull was a poor leader of oppposition
Did not know the craft of politics and is still learning
abbott although I dont like the guy has all the skills and  craft as a politician hence he is the PM