Skip to main content
Topic: Adam Goodes,unhappy Australian of the Year (Read 17851 times) previous topic - next topic

Adam Goodes,unhappy Australian of the Year

Adam Goodes says the country of Australia is founded on Lies.....not happy with Capt James Cook either and wants to change the school curriculum.
Generally seems to be a unhappy Australian and not enjoying his life at the minute, I understand he sees himself as a campaigner for anti-racism and I dont have a problem with that but I thought he might adopt a more positive approach and use his position to promote the positives of the country to overcome racism.Some people will view his comments about Capt Cook as anti white racism...better the school curriculum tell the whole story about our indigenous history as well as Cooks landing....
Like to see Adam appreciate what he has and what this country offers and while not perfect its not a bad place to live.....

Re: Adam Goodes,unhappy Australian of the Year

Reply #1
I guess if you are one of the best indigenous football players to ever play the game and yet are still confronted with being called racist names by fans whenever you run out on the field, and even by the boss of the largest sporting club in Australia on his radio show, you might think differently about it being a pretty good place.

Reply #2
I guess if you are one of the best indigenous football players to ever play the game and yet are still confronted with being called racist names by fans whenever you run out on the field, and even by the boss of the largest sporting club in Australia on his radio show, you might think differently about it being a pretty good place.

Point taken about the personal attacks he has endured but I would have thought his job as Australian of the year was to unite Australians...not divide them

Reply #3

Point taken about the personal attacks he has endured but I would have thought his job as Australian of the year was to unite Australians...not divide them

Bang on, guilting young Australian's who had nothing to do with what happened in the 18th,19th, and earlier 20th centuries about all the bad crap that went down isn't going to help anyone.

All you can do is make sure that everyone treats one another equally and encourage friendliness and compassion.

Reply #4
While I think Captain Cook often gets bad press - his feats of navigation should be admired by all - school children being taught that he 'discovered' Australia is wrong and divisive.

Aboriginal Australians discovered Australia at least 60,000 years before Cook and they were followed by Melanesians, Macassans, Portuguese, Dutch and even William Dampier saw Australia before Cook.

It's a complicated issue but, for the original Australians, recognition of their long history in our land by those who came later is an essential element of a united Australia.  Goodes, as an Aboriginal person in a position of influence, has no option but to promote a more balanced view of our continent's history.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
No country is perfect, but I agree with Elwood. There are many countries that have their native people far worse than we do in Australia. Try to unite society and not set up barriers to divide and highlight racism. This country generally offers all race and sexes an opportunity to lead a happy life with success. All depending on work ethics and individual effort. I understand his opinion and feelings. I just hope he is aware he may divide many and create issues being too pedantic.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #6
While I think Captain Cook often gets bad press - his feats of navigation should be admired by all - school children being taught that he 'discovered' Australia is wrong and divisive.

Aboriginal Australians discovered Australia at least 60,000 years before Cook and they were followed by Melanesians, Macassans, Portuguese, Dutch and even William Dampier saw Australia before Cook.

It's a complicated issue but, for the original Australians, recognition of their long history in our land by those who came later is an essential element of a united Australia.  Goodes, as an Aboriginal person in a position of influence, has no option but to promote a more balanced view of our continent's history.

Like I said DJ I dont have a problem with that at all and the curriculum should tell the entire story and Cook is only a small part of that history all be it a large turning point and it should be a
balanced view in all Aus schools.. I just wish he said it like you did and it didnt come out as bitter and with a petty edge to it.
I think Adam Goodes can be the bigger/better man  rather than the bitter man as Australlian of the year and forgive the name calling, even forgive Eddie McGuire(yeah I know thats hard) and he will come out a winner and the majority of the public would look up and admire him and listen to what he is saying and learn something.....
At the moment I think he is wasting that opportunity and he is better than that IMO...

Reply #7
There are many countries that have their native people far worse than we do in Australia.

True Mantis, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to be the best (or let the Kiwis show us up).  It's not that hard to acknowledge that the First Australians have a long history that predates the arrival of Europeans.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
I just wish he said it like you did and it didnt come out as bitter and with a petty edge to it.

I'm speaking as an informed yet dispassionate observer EB.  Goodes is living it and probably finds it hard to speak about it without his feelings getting in the way.

Some of my Aboriginal colleagues could discuss these issues superbly, but they were educators/administrators/bureaucrats, not footballers.  Put Noel Pearson, Marcia Langton, etc in that role and they would be able to express their views in a more inclusive way.

Reply #9
I just wish he said it like you did and it didnt come out as bitter and with a petty edge to it.

I'm speaking as an informed yet dispassionate observer EB.  Goodes is living it and probably finds it hard to speak about it without his feelings getting in the way.

Some of my Aboriginal colleagues could discuss these issues superbly, but they were educators/administrators/bureaucrats, not footballers.  Put Noel Pearson, Marcia Langton, etc in that role and they would be able to express their views in a more inclusive way.

Point taken DJ  and I guess I will cut AG some slack on his delivery style......

Reply #10
There are many countries that have their native people far worse than we do in Australia.

True Mantis, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to be the best (or let the Kiwis show us up).  It's not that hard to acknowledge that the First Australians have a long history that predates the arrival of Europeans.

That I agree with 100%. We can't forget that the arrival of all cultures of the entire world has forged this country to be what it is now. Imagine landing here today for the first time. Would we have roads, homes, buildings, roads, jobs etc, without a cultural an educational input from people of other nations ? I agree we should always try to be better, and acknowledge our native history. We also need to acknowledge how we have fabricated a new lifestyle due to imports of the last 200 years or so also.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #12

An now he gets booed on the footy field. Pure racism.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13

An now he gets booed on the footy field. Pure racism.

Why do you think he gets booed?

Reply #14
Because of the stand he's made against racism....and then people think he stages for free kicks so they say hey if you're going to make such a stand against racism and stage for frees you should get booed when in reality the two are so far apart in importance it's just not funny. It's just an excuse to boo him and what he stands for, anyone with half a brain can see that. And the people booing will say they're not being racist and it just highlights the ignorance in society today and the typical VB culture at the footy. People will laugh and applaud Jake King for going into the crowd and skulling a beer but criticise Goodes for standing up for his people.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!