Skip to main content
Topic: Bali 9 thoughts (Read 44118 times) previous topic - next topic

Bali 9 thoughts

Interested to know where everyone stands regarding the impending potential execution of the two leaders of the now infamous Bali 9.
I have tried to put myself in both camps....those supporting their execution and those supporting life imprisonment or a similar severe sentence and the suffering their
families are going through now and maybe after if it all takes place.

When I break it all down I see the impact those drugs might have had on other children and their families, then I am of the view that that these offenders knew the risks
and had no qualms about dealing drugs and the damage they would cause to others and I feel the Indonesians have the right to dispense justice in their own country when all the warnings were there but were ignored.
If you want to try and get rich at the expense and misery of others then you take your chances and pay the price when caught...

Re: Bali 9 thoughts

Reply #1
I wasn't aware until recently that these to were the ring leaders. In any case, doesn't change my view. Do the crime do the time. In this case, its the firing squad. They knew full well the risk and the consequences, they played Russian Roulette and lost. Sorry but no sympathy from me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Don't support capital punishment under any circumstances. Otherwise I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
I wasn't aware until recently that these to were the ring leaders. In any case, doesn't change my view. Do the crime do the time. In this case, its the firing squad. They knew full well the risk and the consequences, they played Russian Roulette and lost. Sorry but no sympathy from me.

Ok...you attend the firing squad and pull the trigger...

Reply #4
I have little sympathy for the two guys, trying to smuggle heroin in Asia when you know what the consequences are if you get caught leaves me that way.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #5
I am not in favour of the death penalty but I'm finding it hard to feel much sympathy for Chan and Sukumaran. 

I do feel for their families though.  It must be terrible for them.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6

Ok...you attend the firing squad and pull the trigger...
If I was a policeman in Bali, no problem. It would be my duty if asked. I am not so its a rather stupid question. I am comfortable with the way I have been brought up and and equally comfortable with the way I have brought up my children. I am 99.99% sure that I will never have to face that the parents of these to are. My daughter is travelling OS in June. I have already started explaining the fact that cultures and rules in other countries need to be respected and followed. Laws of the land are laws of the land. Whilst we might not understand or agree with them, they are the what they are. These guys knew exactly what they were doing. Its almost like they were laughing at the law when they were trafficking drugs. Well, s h i t just got real and it aint so funny is it? They play for keeps over there, they aren't the first and won't be the last (unfortunately). Some will say thats exactly the point, there will be more hence its not a deterrent. I say it is.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
It's a difficult one...The strange thing about this case is that the longer these two have avoided their fate it seems they have become quite productive and a positive influence for other prisoners.
There are genuine signs of rehabilitation and their pre-gaol lives are very different to their current mind set.

If it were up to me I'd be saying ''look at these guys'.
Use them as a positive example.
Leave them to continue what they're doing.
'Never to be released' vs 'the firing squad' are both strong deterrents and one would hardly outweigh the other in those dabbling in the drug trade.
The execution really benefits no-one.

Reply #8
Remember Barlow and Chambers back in the 80s and the other guy whose name I've forgotten now, a couple of years ago?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
It's a difficult one...The strange thing about this case is that the longer these two have avoided their fate it seems they have become quite productive and a positive influence for other prisoners.
There are genuine signs of rehabilitation and their pre-gaol lives are very different to their current mind set.

If it were up to me I'd be saying ''look at these guys'.
Use them as a positive example.
Leave them to continue what they're doing.
'Never to be released' vs 'the firing squad' are both strong deterrents and one would hardly outweigh the other in those dabbling in the drug trade.
The execution really benefits no-one.

I suspect it's a lot more to do with domestic politics than some fervent ideology such as the war on drugs. The president is newly elected and faces stiff opposition and cannot be seen to be soft nor pushed around by Australia. If his were his second term I think they'd have a chance but with the executions that have already taken place imagine the hue and cry if they spared the Australians and executed the rest.

I am afraid the Bali 9 leaders will probably go the same way as Barlow, Chambers and Nyugen. Agree they probably have turned their lives around but if this was in Malaysia I suspect they'd have been executed some time back so I wonder if the debate is more to do with delay and how these guys have now changed versus if they'd be executed years ago there wouldn't have been the same emotion in the debate.

From an Indonesian perspective you can see how they would view this as an opportunity to demonstrate their strength in the face of international pressure and you can guarantee with the media coverage that all will know of the dangers of doing drugs in Indonesia. This will advertise a very strong message world wide.

Reply #10
No sympathy from me either.
They knew what they were doing and would have done it again if they got away with it.
How many young Australian lives would have been ruined when all that heroin hit the streets?

As for the deterrent bit, I don't know whether it is or not. I see it as a punishment not a deterrent .
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #11
A lot of ignorance in here. They are clearly rehabilitated.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
Anyway, Mick Keelty has their blood on his hands, he effectively signed off on their death warrant. And here I was thinking capital punishment was a thing of the past in Australia. Keelty is an absolute dog of a bloke. Quite farcical that the Australian government pleas for clemency when they were the ones who sent them to their death. Not hard to see why the Australian Government has no cred in their eyes when it comes to this.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13
Anyway, Mick Keelty has their blood on his hands, he effectively signed off on their death warrant. And here I was thinking capital punishment was a thing of the past in Australia. Keelty is an absolute dog of a bloke. Quite farcical that the Australian government pleas for clemency when they were the ones who sent them to their death. Not hard to see why the Australian Government has no cred in their eyes when it comes to this.

The australian government didnt give them the heroin to traffick.

responsibility lies with the traffickers

Reply #14

The australian government didnt give them the heroin to traffick.

responsibility lies with the traffickers
This
Poor form Carrots.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th