Skip to main content
Topic: "Hello, How Are You ?" (Read 9816 times) previous topic - next topic

"Hello, How Are You ?"

"Hello, how are you ?"

Surely the time has come for people to adjust the way they speak to one another especially complete strangers !!

Whilst it is meant as a term of endearment, do you really honestly care about the wellbeing of that girl at the supermarket checkout or the anonymous voice on the other end of the telephone ??

I think not and it sounds so fake & condescending that it needs to be phased out of our vernacular.

Try listening to talkback radio when they are running a quick quiz, every person who rings up asks the host "how are you" and clearly that person must be okay because the previous six callers in the recent 60-secs asked the same question & got the same answer.

Greeting a friend, stranger or person in business with a simple "hello" or "good morning" should be the minimum level of manners but what should come after that or is there an actual need to further the conversation ??

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: "Hello, How Are You ?"

Reply #1
This would be the first step towards total and utter chaos :P

Reply #2
"What about those Blues, eh?"

Reply #3
"Hello, how are you ?"

Surely the time has come for people to adjust the way they speak to one another especially complete strangers !!

You must be from Sydney, walking around Adelaide I can't stop people from talking to me, in fact they talk to anything even the walls! ;)

Whilst it is meant as a term of endearment, do you really honestly care about the wellbeing of that girl at the supermarket checkout or the anonymous voice on the other end of the telephone ??

I think not and it sounds so fake & condescending that it needs to be phased out of our vernacular.

But if the girl at the checkout is a minor, by the way not all checkout staff are girls, you might find yourself on some unwanted watch list or twitter! :o

Try listening to talkback radio when they are running a quick quiz, every person who rings up asks the host "how are you" and clearly that person must be okay because the previous six callers in the recent 60-secs asked the same question & got the same answer.

Greeting a friend, stranger or person in business with a simple "hello" or "good morning" should be the minimum level of manners but what should come after that or is there an actual need to further the conversation ??

It seems normal down here, why is Sydney so different? :D
(Perhaps it's too close to Canberra!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
How are you today Sheik?

Reply #5
Is that the Moir Sisters I hear?

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
Our Chief Engineer when i was a young trainee engineer greeting to all the trainees was" how's its going knackers".....if he rang you on the phone it was " hows it hanging champ".....

Reply #9
"Hello, how are you ?"

The French have also scorned the insincerity of Australian's

Reply #10
If you want a national identity The Sheik is actually onto something.

The practice of "Saying Hello" or "Good Morning" works wonders within large organizations at generating an identity as part of team building. So much so that many organisations now require you to say a "Good Morning, Afternoon or Evening" as well as shake hands with all team members at the start of each day/shift.

A sickening as this sounds to some, it actually works! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Hello, how are you ? Is an ice breaker and a conversation starter. Hello or good morning on its own is simply a greeting. People would simply reply with the same and no real conversation would take place. Otherwise we could grunt at each other a simply wave Sheik.  Maybe G'day would suit you better. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #13
"Sup" is all it takes with the young kids vernacular.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #14
The French accusing others of insincerity.... NON!  The masters of saying one thing and meaning another.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?