Skip to main content
Topic: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!  (Read 45307 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!

Reply #61
Only seen the second half due to the time difference here. We aren't playing well enough at the moment to be sprightly at 3am.

Solid win, inflated by a few easy goals at the end, just what the team needed to boost a bit of morale.

As many have mentioned, best players were Murphy (who got smashed off the ball as far as i could tell), Cripps, Bell and Henderson. Wood played very well in the ruck and actually gets touches which we have lacked the past few years, and Armfield put in with some run. Boekhorst got to plenty of contests, even if he didn't have too much of an impact, but he looks a likely type.

Cripps looked great and is awfully strong over the footy. His bodywork in close is top notch. Bell is improving every game and is starting to return consistent football. He has taken a while but is becoming a solid player. His decision making is improving and as a result he is looking a much better player and kicks goals.

More handball in the middle seemed to help get some cleaner ball forward. Some of the kicking out of defence was a worry when the midfield did not provide options though, showing the middle needs to keep working on run and structure to allow the movement of the footy.

The not so goods are of course Casboult whose kicking is deteriorating (if that is possible) to a point where team mates will not kick to him. I think the club should seek a trade at year's end unless something clicks. Maybe a chat to Lindsey Thomas might help. In any case, a big forward that can't kick goals is not much use. Feel for the guy but he is a liability.  Rowe seems to have lost all confidence and is not playing well at all. Ellard's skills are not up to scratch for a league player and Gibbs seems to be choosy when he gets involved, although it is hard to tell from the tv.

Good to see a win. Hopefully a couple of players come back next week and we can give the pies a good shake.

Re: R4 - Carlton vs Saints @ NZ - (Post match party)

Reply #63

They are all one-way. Bag him when something goes wrong. Silence when something goes right.

If all it takes to shut the doubters up is a win against extremely soft opposition with poor play all around, that should say plenty about just how bad we're travelling.  ;)

Absolute must win today and that will take the focus off Mick's job and onto his record breaking game. Good for the boys to get a win, captain continues to improve and Cripps showed a bit otherwise a forgetful day.

Reply #64
If ever Watson was to be presented with a golden opportunity to force his way into the senior team then Jones & Casboult have given it to him.

Jones finished with 1.3 and Casboult 0.0 even though he had two set shots at goal. If Watson had as many kicks for goal as those two combined I'm reasonably sure he would convert well over 50% of them.

If Watson cannot do enough to earn a place in the seniors now, his papers will be stamped for the end of the season clearance !!

Casboult won't, he's the relief ruckman. That's his job right now and doing a decent job. Jones is the KP forward. Kicks at goal as well as Casboult. Casboult's taking a few marks and getting some touches.

Reply #65
Watson got 3 goals in disgusting conditions. He has to be a chance for next week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #66
Watson got 3 goals in disgusting conditions. He has to be a chance for next week.

For Jammo is a scary thought. Will need to send Hendo back to cover. Jones, Watson and Levi... Doesn't exactly instill fear.

Reply #67
I liked that we actually had some run in the second half and alot of numbers at the contest in the forward line. Keeps the pressure on the opposition defence and results in goals. From a god awful first half we outscored them by 66pts in after about 20 min into the 2nd qtr.

It's St.Kilda but you can only smack who they put in front of you.

Reply #68
For Jammo is a scary thought. Will need to send Hendo back to cover. Jones, Watson and Levi... Doesn't exactly instill fear.

Instills fear into us...lol

Jaksch will be back next week hopefully.

Reply #69
I don't disagree with you. I thought he was great today, I just wish he did it more often and against better teams but I guess we all do. Massive game next week and that's where the test is for him.

More often than not he is one of our better players. Plenty of others ahead of him in the "big test" queue for next week.

Reply #70
Just a point about stats and using them as comparisons.
One interesting stat I noticed last week was the time actually spent on the ground.
The longer you're out there, the more opportunity to accumulate statistics

Last week Cripps played 75% of the game.
I thought at the time he'd done pretty well with only 3/4 game time.
This week he was up to 81%

by contrast Murphy was on 84%
seems that most of the on-ballers are around that figure 80-85% figure.

Reply #71
As long as we see more of Cripps, Boekhorst, Whiley, Buckley, Jaksch etc... on top of recent additions of Menzel, Docherty, Graham, Everitt,, Byrne etc...means the rebuild is hopefully well on the way.

Reply #72
Just a point about stats and using them as comparisons.
One interesting stat I noticed last week was the time actually spent on the ground.
The longer you're out there, the more opportunity to accumulate statistics

Last week Cripps played 75% of the game.
I thought at the time he'd done pretty well with only 3/4 game time.
This week he was up to 81%

by contrast Murphy was on 84%
seems that most of the on-ballers are around that figure 80-85% figure.

Plus it's easier to get a kick in the midfield than say a forward pocket.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #73
Not sure too many are knocking his game, just didn't think he was THE bog.

Cripps vs Murphy
Pos 33 vs 34
CPs 23 vs 24
Mrk  4 vs  1
CMs 1 vs  0
Clr  8 vs 10
Tkl 11 vs 3
GAs  2 vs 0
Gls  1 vs 0
R50 1 vs 0
I50 2 vs 6
1%s 3 vs 1
Clg  2 vs 5

Murphy pretty much had him covered in every area.

And I don't believe Cripps was tagged or belted from arsehole to breakfast time.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #74
Henderson and Murphy had 6 votes each
Cripps 4
Bell 2

If that helps.

Murph won the medal on count back.

Me and Krudds boy Cripper... Going to be beauty

Spread out you two..I was first on the Cripps bandwagon and wanted him predraft :D.....like the way he handballs off because he knows his kicking isnt brilliant.
Bit of an ordinary game to watch and I felt the Saints tried to make its scrappy and drag us down to their level which is woeful....
Credit to Murphy he has been under pressure and lifted when required.....Bell did  well with his four goals but we have seen it before and he needs to back up next week.
Boekhorst was handy on debut but its hard to get a handle on players form as it was such an ordinary game and the real test for some our newbies will be next week.
Jones and Cascoult were dissapointing , been on Touhys case this season but he was good last week and good again today...
Wood was ok but Longer was one of the Saints best and we need to get Kruezer back into the team to help Wood...
Take the 4 points and it must give some confidence for the Pies next week although they were good vs Essendon and will be hard work...
I would expect Cripps to be tagged heavily next week and some attempt made to rough him up...