Skip to main content
Topic: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!  (Read 45302 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 4 : Blues Beat Saints To Win The Cake-Tin !!

Reply #75
Great to see a list with some genuinely exciting new talent

Add young guns Whiley, Menzel, Byrne to the team that played today + Kreuzer/Warnock, Judd, Yarran, Thomas & things don't look so bad. That's one third of the team.

Reply #76

Add young guns Whiley, Menzel, Byrne to the team that played today + Kreuzer/Warnock, Judd, Yarran, Thomas & things don't look so bad. That's one third of the team.

+Jaksch

Reply #77
Not sure too many are knocking his game, just didn't think he was THE bog.

Cripps vs Murphy
Pos 33 vs 34
CPs 23 vs 24
Mrk  4 vs  1
CMs 1 vs  0
Clr  8 vs 10
Tkl 11 vs 3
GAs  2 vs 0
Gls  1 vs 0

R50 1 vs 0
I50 2 vs 6
1%s 3 vs 1
Clg  2 vs 5

Murphy pretty much had him covered in every area.

Reckon Cripps takes it IMO. One difference in the possessions and clearances, but look at those tackle stats. 11-3 is MASSIVE. I'm not knocking Murph by any means, it was a great return to form for him, but Cripps in my eyes was the stand out player on the field.

Reply #78

And that's why I disagree with the rebuild.  Our list has deficiencies and we lack depth but we don't need to make wholesale changes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79
Spread out you two..I was first on the Cripps bandwagon and wanted him predraft :D.....like the way he handballs off because he knows his kicking isnt brilliant.
Bit of an ordinary game to watch and I felt the Saints tried to make its scrappy and drag us down to their level which is woeful....
Credit to Murphy he has been under pressure and lifted when required.....Bell did  well with his four goals but we have seen it before and he needs to back up next week.
Boekhorst was handy on debut but its hard to get a handle on players form as it was such an ordinary game and the real test for some our newbies will be next week.
Jones and Cascoult were dissapointing , been on Touhys case this season but he was good last week and good again today...
Wood was ok but Longer was one of the Saints best and we need to get Kruezer back into the team to help Wood...
Take the 4 points and it must give some confidence for the Pies next week although they were good vs Essendon and will be hard work...
I would expect Cripps to be tagged heavily next week and some attempt made to rough him up...

I like what we have recruited. Creates a good start in a rebuild.

Jones is as bad as Levi kicking at goal. At least Casboult's playing as a relief ruckman and getting marks and touches so doing a job. I don't want two actual ruckmen in the side, it tends to make both ineffective. Casboult plays the right role there. Jones is play KP and not giving us alot. I think Watson can take his place next week after a good game with the NBs today. For all his faults Bell generally contributes, a few ordinary disposals is made up for  by his aggression around the ball and regularly hits the scoreboard.

Very happy with the 2nd half, lots of pressure and alot more run. Turned around 66pts.

Reply #80

+ Kreuzer, Warnock judd and daisey are not in our next premiership....

Reply #81
Jobe said Cripps will be a star on the footy show the other night.

i saw cripps tell gibbs to shepherd him...gibbs didn't and waited for cripps to hand pass it to him.....who is the doing the leading here?

Reply #82

I agree with you about Judd, but I wouldn't be so sure about the other three.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
Spread out you two..I was first on the Cripps bandwagon and wanted him predraft :D.....like the way he handballs off because he knows his kicking isnt brilliant.
Bit of an ordinary game to watch and I felt the Saints tried to make its scrappy and drag us down to their level which is woeful....
Credit to Murphy he has been under pressure and lifted when required.....Bell did  well with his four goals but we have seen it before and he needs to back up next week.
Boekhorst was handy on debut but its hard to get a handle on players form as it was such an ordinary game and the real test for some our newbies will be next week.
Jones and Cascoult were dissapointing , been on Touhys case this season but he was good last week and good again today...
Wood was ok but Longer was one of the Saints best and we need to get Kruezer back into the team to help Wood...
Take the 4 points and it must give some confidence for the Pies next week although they were good vs Essendon and will be hard work...
I would expect Cripps to be tagged heavily next week and some attempt made to rough him up...

x2

Agree about Cripps being tagged but Judd should be back next week working beside Murph so unlikely they will tag Cripps when the other 2 are in there.

I was impressed with him for that very reason. He didn't have a lot of support today but still managed to have standout game.

I wasn't convinced with him early on but I'm on the bandwagon now!

Re: R4 - Carlton vs Saints @ NZ - (Post match party)

Reply #86
Never said it did.
Just as i never said our losses where Micks fault.

All i'm saying is people were happy to bag out Mick and his gameplan and 'the house that mick built' ad nauseum throughout the first half. Do those same people who believe he was to blame for the first half think he is responsible for the turnaround in the 2nd?

They are all one-way. Bag him when something goes wrong. Silence when something goes right.

I'm not putting that win down to Mick. I'm putting it down to the players pulling their fingers out and doing what they are supposed to be doing every week. Of course it helped it was against the Saints, but put in the effort against any team and results will come.

I disagree.  There was a dramatic change in the way we used the football.  Against Richmond we had 196 kicks and 129 handpasses, against West Coast it was 192 kicks and 128 handpasses, 200 kicks and 136 handpasses against Essendon and today it was 193 kicks and 182 handpasses.  You can't tell me that the players all decided to handpass more today.

Clearly, Malthouse has realised that the kick at all costs approach results in too many turnovers and he has instructed the players to handpass more.  I haven't seen the game yet but the radio commentary gave me the impression that our ball movement was better and was set up by creative handpassing. 

Another marked difference from our previous three games is the fact that almost all of our goals were scored from directly in front and there were relatively few shots from the pockets.

The players may have controlled their arousal levels a little better but Malthouse definitely changed the way we played and he deserves credit for that.

Reply #87
Supercoach

Cripps 172!!!!!!

Bell 143

Murphy 123
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #88

They build the bridge to take the side to the next step though. That's how sides develop and evolve.

Reply #89
@DJC potentially saints weren't able to cut off our close options like other teams are, leaving the handball option to players in better position open..... but maybe someone at the ground can comment more informatively