Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Footscray at Footscray (Read 16173 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Footscray at Footscray

Next Saturday morning (1100), the Baby Blues will start their VFL season by playing the Dogs at the Kennel. Hopefully we can see the Blues who turned up against Richmond instead of the Blues who didn't turn up against Port Melbourne.

In our favour:
[1] we are unlikely to rest all 3 emergencies.
[2] We are likely to start a side with a fair few Carlton players and our strongest VFL guys (especially like Ballard in the midfield).
[3] Plowman and Sumner will be better for the run.
[4] Silvagni is a very high probability to play.
[5] Our last few injured guys should be pretty close to being ready. Especially Armfield, who should be ready for a half a game.

Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Footscray at Footscray

Reply #1
Footscray Bulldogs vs. Northern Blues  

Sunday April 10    Note. This is different to wt appeared on the NB' website a week ago, but it is what appeared in the VFL's website.                                                               
Whitten Oval at 11.00am            

Footscray Bulldogs

B: 18. F Roberts 32. K Collins 36. B Lynch
HB: 28. J Prudden 30. J Hamling 20. J Dunkley
C: 46. L Jong 25. K Stevens 16. T McLean
HF: 35. C Daniel 43. J Redpath 19. L Webb
F: 26. D Hamilton 15. T Campbell 44. J Adcock
R: 27. W Minson 31. B Dale 22. M Honeychurch
Int: 55. A Greenwood 54. N Jamieson 57. J Staley 12. Z Cordy 47. M Austin 51. L Dalgleish 59. S Wyatt 34. B Williams 66. M Hannan 
65. J Russell 61. L Nash 40. L Goetz
23P: 67. J Wallis

Northern Blues
B: 26. M Dick 43. S White 44. L Plowman
HB: 65. D Viojo 34. J Glass-Mccasker 31. J. Foster
C: 4. S Russell 76. J Tutt 6. G Strachan
HF: 67. C Smith 18. D Gorringe 56. A Gallucci
F: 48. K Jaksch 14. L Jones 46. L Sumner
R: 36. C Wood 60. D Cuningham 1. T Wilson
Int: 29. B Casley 54. C McCabe 11 K McGuiness 24. T Roos 8. B Bransgrove 38 B Gowers 80. M Korcheck 12 Z Ballard
23P: 23. H Kerbatieh

Not a bad looking line-up, and the numbers are a welcome addition.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
what's the "23P" all about?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #3
Isn't that where you a side can select an additional player who is under 23 year of age?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
 I will be looking at the reports on Plowman, Glass-McCasker, Sumner, Gorringe and Cunningham with a high degree of interest.  Love to see at least 3/5 of these become integral to our future. 

Reply #5
what's the "23P" all about?
23rd player - a designated junior player who is supposed to start on the bench. The VFL have had the idea for a while now.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
I will be looking at the reports on Plowman, Glass-McCasker, Sumner, Gorringe and Cunningham with a high degree of interest.  Love to see at least 3/5 of these become integral to our future.

Leaving aside his rookie status, i'd have G-M playing ahead of Jamo in the 1s quite frankly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #7
Wouldnt mind seeing JGM playing on Redpath.....the latter is a real unit who would walk into our team and if our bloke can do a good job on him then he is well on the way to senior footy IMO....

Reply #8
Leaving aside his rookie status, i'd have G-M playing ahead of Jamo in the 1s quite frankly.

Just on this, we have put Harry Mckay on the long term injury list which means a rookie is in line to get a promotion soon.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9

I really liked what I saw of him last week and will watch him closely again this Sunday.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #10
Just on this, we have put Harry Mckay on the long term injury list which means a rookie is in line to get a promotion soon.

It must be Byrne because he had to be elevated to be playing this week.

Sheehan is long term injured but as he is a Rookie that doesn't count.

As far as I know we have no other Senior List LTIs for JGM to replace, and McKay's LTI is probably already allocated to Byrne.

I heard a comment last week that JGM reminds them of a young Paul Salmon, lets hope so! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
It must be Byrne because he had to be elevated to play this week.

maybe, but I was under the impression Byrne was nominated prior to round 1 suggesting we have room to move on the nominated rookie scenario.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-16/rookie-watch-who-will-be-promoted-at-your-club

Ciaran Byrne played in two NAB Challenge games and was confirmed as the Blues' nominated rookie on Tuesday as they have 39 primary-listed players. The dashing Irishman, left out of the Carlton team for its final NAB Challenge game last Friday night, was impressive on debut against Essendon last season before being dogged by hamstring problems. Fellow Irishman Ciaran Sheehan, who played four games in 2014, was on the sidelines for much of last year after having hip surgery. The left-footer's hips are OK but he has had a few niggles over the pre-season. Ruckman Cameron Wood had shoulder surgery at the end of last season and missed a lot of training before Christmas but has been training well. Pint-sized forward Andrew Gallucci played in the first two NAB Challenge games and Billy Gowers has had an interrupted pre-season after having shoulder surgery late last season. - Howard Kotton

That was from march 16.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
maybe, but I was under the impression Byrne was nominated prior to round 1 suggesting we have room to move on the nominated rookie scenario.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-16/rookie-watch-who-will-be-promoted-at-your-club

Ciaran Byrne played in two NAB Challenge games and was confirmed as the Blues' nominated rookie on Tuesday as they have 39 primary-listed players. The dashing Irishman, left out of the Carlton team for its final NAB Challenge game last Friday night, was impressive on debut against Essendon last season before being dogged by hamstring problems. Fellow Irishman Ciaran Sheehan, who played four games in 2014, was on the sidelines for much of last year after having hip surgery. The left-footer's hips are OK but he has had a few niggles over the pre-season. Ruckman Cameron Wood had shoulder surgery at the end of last season and missed a lot of training before Christmas but has been training well. Pint-sized forward Andrew Gallucci played in the first two NAB Challenge games and Billy Gowers has had an interrupted pre-season after having shoulder surgery late last season. - Howard Kotton

That was from march 16.

Fair enough, I hadn't read that.

That being the case JGM for me, he's tall, agile, solid and athletic and both our defense and forward line looks fragile and could benefit from his presence.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13

No way could he have broken even with buddy last week. I'm going to give Jamo a little more time.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
Fair enough, I hadn't read that.

That being the case JGM for me, he's tall, agile, solid and athletic and both our defense and forward line looks fragile and could benefit from his presence.

Solid?

Nope.

Buddy would have ragdolled him 20 times, then we would have put him on Tippett just to completely ruin his confidence.

It would have been a blood bath.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................