Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Footscray at Footscray (Read 17432 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 1: Northern Blues vs Footscray at Footscray

Reply #15
Solid?

Nope.

Buddy would have ragdolled him 20 times, then we would have put him on Tippett just to completely ruin his confidence.

It would have been a blood bath.

When JGM joined Carlton prior to pre-season he was listed at 95kg. After his first pre-season you can expect 2 or 3 kg more which probably puts him in the 98kg class.

That ain't fragile! :o But I appreciate it doesn't mean strength either.

Keep in mind The Hyphen was one of the heaviest player on Carlton's list but never looked like it! But he had bones like a Hereford Bull, which says something about how hard Diesel hits!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
When JGM joined Carlton prior to pre-season he was listed at 95kg. After his first pre-season you can expect 2 or 3 kg more which probably puts him in the 98kg class.

That ain't fragile! :o But I appreciate it doesn't mean strength either.

Keep in mind The Hyphen was one of the heaviest player on Carlton's list but never looked like it! But he had bones like a Hereford Bull, which says something about how hard Diesel hits!

Buddy would have eaten him alive and picked his teeth with the bones.

This guy is suited to Sam Reid/ Schache types who are naturally lean or underdeveloped.

Doesn't mean he won't play this year, but he needs the right match-up.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #17
Sorry Im confused (thats not hard) The Hyphen, you mean Rhys-Jones yeah? And you are saying Rhys was heavy? He was 6ft2 and 84kg. There were plenty heavier than that on our list I would have thought.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
Sorry Im confused (thats not hard) The Hyphen, you mean Rhys-Jones yeah? And you are saying Rhys was heavy? He was 6ft2 and 84kg. There were plenty heavier than that on our list I would have thought.

Rhys wasn't 6'2" and he wasn't 84kg, I played cricket with him, and I was an 84kg on-baller playing footy with him before he was drafted. I was significantly lighter and at 5'10" I was at least 6" shorter! The stats are you read are bullsh1t,  taken from back in the days when clubs submitted their figures unchecked by the VFL. ;)

Explain this photo for your 6'2" if you are struggling to believe it!

Keep in mind Silvagni, Dorotich are listed at 194cm and 193cm! :o

Don't be confused by muscle mass, can be very deceptive. BTW, I must clarify my earlier statement about weight because I was excluding Madden and Kernahan. They were both ruck size and I wasn't making comparisons to rucks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Rhys wasn't 6'2" and he wasn't 84kg, I played cricket with him, and I was an 84kg on-baller playing footy with him before he was drafted. I was significantly lighter and at 5'10" I was at least 6" shorter! The stats are you read are bullsh1t,  taken from back in the days when clubs submitted their figures unchecked by the VFL. ;)

Explain this photo for your 6'2" if you are struggling to believe it!

Keep in mind Silvagni, Dorotich are listed at 194cm and 193cm! :o

Don't be confused by muscle mass, can be very deceptive. BTW, I must clarify my earlier statement about weight because I was excluding Madden and Kernahan. They were both ruck size and I wasn't making comparisons to rucks.

Ran into Rhys at Box Hill buying coffee and stood next him....I'm 6 ft and Rhys probably shaded me by by about and inch and a bit......my son was with me and he is around 193cm and a lot taller than Rhys.
Rhys has a massive pair of shoulders on him though and I wouldnt want to be taking a bump from him....

Reply #20
From my encounter with David Rhys Jones, he's around 185-188cm and his playing weight would have been around 80-85kg.

It's surprising how many AFL players are smaller than their official heights; I played basketball against Bruce Doull for almost ten years and there's no way that he is 185cm.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
According to his book Rhys was 188 cm and 84 kg at the end of his career.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
Sorry LP, you are dreaming.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23
To get this thread back into the topic, with an ordinary performance tonight, tomorrow's game becomes more important.
[1] The total lack of form in Rowe and Jamison may put pressure on our Match Committee to promote Plowman, if he plays well. He hasn't played a full game yet, but he has already shown more than our 2 key defenders.
It may also pressure the club to play Glass-McCasker if he comes out adequately.
I would much rather give them time, but our defence has a huge hole in it at the moment.

[2] With our forward line being ineffective, good games from the key forwards may also result in promotions.

[3] Do we have anyone ready enough to replace Whiley or Buckley yet. Neither did enough to deserve a game next week, but ....
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
I'm inclined to to play the kids and get games into them.

For too long we have let kids never get games in the seniors, because they have to earn it (old school footy club BS). GWS and GC had to play the kids they drafted, so should we.

The only change to that is that I would switch Rowe to CHF, and give us a second large target up forward.

Having said that, I've seen enough of Whiley.

Reply #25
I'm inclined to to play the kids and get games into them.

For too long we have let kids never get games in the seniors, because they have to earn it (old school footy club BS). GWS and GC had to play the kids they drafted, so should we.

The only change to that is that I would switch Rowe to CHF, and give us a second large target up forward.

Having said that, I've seen enough of Whiley.

Then, when we lose by 100 points every week and our underdeveloped kids get banged-up,  the whiners start up again. We just have to let the coaches take the time that's required.

Reply #26
Sorry LP, you are dreaming.

So how tall and heavy was SOS in his playing days?

Again referring to that photo, Dennis is recorded at 185cm, 9cm shorter than SOS and Dorotich. Alvin is reported at 183cm, 2cm shorter than Dennis and The-Hyphen. I assert those figures are considerably rubbery.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Down by 18 points at quarter time.  Plowman with 8 possessions.

Reply #28
GOALS: Gallucci, Jones.
DISPOSALS: Plowman 8, Strachan 8, White 7, Cuningham 7, Wilson 6. #WeMarchNorth #PJVFL

Reply #29
Down by 25 points - 58 to 33 - at half time.

GOALS: Gallucci 2, Jones 2, Gorringe.
DISPOSALS: Dick 13, Plowman 12, Strachan 12, Cuningham 12. #WeMarchNorth #PJVFL