Skip to main content
Topic: Augmented Reality Games (Read 4151 times) previous topic - next topic

Augmented Reality Games

I heard some disturbing rumours overnight, I am not sure if this is true but it needs investigation.

There is a new game being played by kids that is an augmented reality version of a video game. Basically it's played on a smartphone using GPS coordinates to find virtual treasures/prizes that have been scattered globally using GPS coordinates by the game makers.

Players have to roam around streets and venues using their phone like a head up video display to find virtual stuff hiding in corners, under chairs, behind trees, etc., etc.. These virtual prizes are superimposed on the real life scene by the game software. It's really a great idea, kids get exercise while playing the video games they love.

But apparently overseas paedophiles and low-life's have clicked on to this game as being the digital equivalent of a bag of lollies. They are allegedly locating prizes and sitting in wait for kids to come along. There is also talk on-line of child abductions, robberies and assaults.

It's shocking if true, that these scum-bags could switch on to this sort of opportunity so quickly. Hopefully the police do too!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Augmented Reality Games

Reply #1
I heard some disturbing rumours overnight, I am not sure if this is true but it needs investigation.

There is a new game being played by kids that is an augmented reality version of a video game. Basically it's played on a smartphone using GPS coordinates to find virtual treasures/prizes that have been scattered globally using GPS coordinates by the game makers.

Players have to roam around streets and venues using their phone like a head up video display to find virtual stuff hiding in corners, under chairs, behind trees, etc., etc.. These virtual prizes are superimposed on the real life scene by the game software. It's really a great idea, kids get exercise while playing the video games they love.

But apparently overseas paedophiles and low-life's have clicked on to this game as being the digital equivalent of a bag of lollies. They are allegedly locating prizes and sitting in wait for kids to come along. There is also talk on-line of child abductions, robberies and assaults.

It's shocking if true, that these scum-bags could switch on to this sort of opportunity so quickly. Hopefully the police do too!

A more realistic concern is that gamers are wandering the streets engrossed in the game and not paying attention to traffic and their surroundings. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
A more realistic concern is that gamers are wandering the streets engrossed in the game and not paying attention to traffic and their surroundings.

Agreed, it's amazing how something that starts out so innocent and beneficial could back-fire. But in fairness to the game developers, is it any more dangerous than buying a kid a bike?

I wonder if this rumour is potentially being circulated by the competitors of the game creator? In which case I have been duped into repeating it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Yes very sad, I know several people (ok not me ) , not just kids who are getting into it & they have had several thoughts along this line. Sad as you say something aimed at getting kids away from the computor world can turn so nasty is a bad indictment of our society.

Reply #4
I heard a discussion about the game on ABC radio today and there have been other similar games around for quite a while.

The participants and callers were very enthusiastic about the game and the amount of walking they had to do.  I guess it has to be a good think if it gets gamers off their butts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
I hadn't heard of it until I went to a family reunion on the weekend and all the kids were off walking...some with their parents mobiles....one of which used up all the battery
"Pokemon Go" I think it's called and there were older teenagers right into it, telling me the advantages of getting kids up and walking...it's being well sold.

Yep... apparently that's covered as a warning in the terms of use.

Reply #7
All the structure of Pokemon Go is from a game called "Ingress" which has been around for around 3 years or more.
Just more time for people who whinge there is not enough hours in the day to waste even more time
One day some of these people will look up from their phones and wonder where the last 50 years have gone  ;)

Reply #8
All the structure of Pokemon Go is from a game called "Ingress" which has been around for around 3 years or more.
Just more time for people who whinge there is not enough hours in the day to waste even more time
One day some of these people will look up from their phones and wonder where the last 50 years have gone  ;)
I don't need to look up from my phone to wonder where the last 50 years went....I just know it went Bloody Quickly ;)

Reply #9
It's gone ballistic ;D

http://finance.nine.com.au/newsbusiness/9140466/expat-sacked-over-pokemon-go-rant

An expat Australian has been sacked from his job in Singapore after unleashing a tirade of online abuse at the country for not having access to Pokemon GO.

“You can’t f---ing catch pokemon in this piece of f---ing s--- country,” Mr Truyen wrote in a Facebook post.

Reply #10
I've not heard anything about this at all until I opened this thread, but it sounds like geocaching but given a new name, would that be accurate?

Geocaching has been around for more than 10 years. I did a bit back in Adelaide back in 2004-05.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #11
I've not heard anything about this at all until I opened this thread, but it sounds like geocaching but given a new name, would that be accurate?

Geocaching has been around for more than 10 years. I did a bit back in Adelaide back in 2004-05.

Based on a game called "Ingress. Lady at work has shown "landmarks which she uploaded to that game appear on Pokemon GO

Some people now are strapping their phones to drones so they don't have to walk

Some are telling the UK to stop using our servers as it has caused it to crash

One person now has a boring train ride since the game has crashed

Not sure if this is a "LMFAO" or a "FMD ::) "

Reply #12
Which "buttons" do I have to press to play? :o

Is that what the "#" key or "Recall" is for?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Should have bought those Nintendo shares last week :(