Skip to main content
Topic: Election 2016 (Read 13506 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Election 2016

Reply #15
I think that the lack of participation in this thread reflects the current disenchantment with Australian politics and political parties.

According to the latest AEC figures, the Coalition currently has 67 seats in the House of Reps and Labor has 71.  Six seats are undecided so the Coalition can only get to 73 if everything goes its way.  That means we're in for minority government and a period of unusual collaboration or great instability.

What's the chances of another election before the end of the year?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
I think that the lack of participation in this thread reflects the current disenchantment with Australian politics and political parties.

According to the latest AEC figures, the Coalition currently has 67 seats in the House of Reps and Labor has 71.  Six seats are undecided so the Coalition can only get to 73 if everything goes its way.  That means we're in for minority government and a period of unusual collaboration or great instability.

What's the chances of another election before the end of the year?

Bye bye Malcolm?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
Bye bye Malcolm?

Could be Cookie.  At best it shows poor judgement; he should have called an election shortly after he rolled Abbott and his popularity was at its peak.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Could be Cookie.  At best it shows poor judgement; he should have called an election shortly after he rolled Abbott and his popularity was at its peak.

No guarantee that would have worked either.

I believe we will end up with a hung vote and we go again.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
No guarantee that would have worked either.

I believe we will end up with a hung vote and we go again.

No guarantees in politics Thry.

I hope you're wrong about going again.  Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I'd like to see more a collaborative, pragmatic approach to running the country.

Reply #20
I agree DJC.  Stop the nasty politics, give us a vision for the country,  work with everyone in Parliament,  work for the good of the country in a fair and equitable way and do what you say you're going to do.

Until this happens, there will be no stability and the minors will get in and make everything harder.

Lack of stability and trust in politics worsens the public outlook and confidence. Don't stuff us around and we are more likely to vote for you.

Reply #21
TBH I have never been a particular fan of the Libs. I did however feel that Turnbull deserved to win so that he could step outside the shadow of those loyal to Abbott and show his true worth. Shorten ran a poor campaign and I was hoping that he may suffer in the polls so that someone of the likes of Tanya Plibersek could challenge his leadership.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #22
Bye bye Malcolm?

That should be the case....but replace him with 'who'

Abbott cant come back...too many of the senior folk were involved in his demise....Morrison, Bishop????

At this point there cant be a leadership change...deals to be done etc.

Once the dust settles though the moves will start and it wont be pretty.

Reply #23
That should be the case....but replace him with 'who'

Abbott cant come back...too many of the senior folk were involved in his demise....Morrison, Bishop????

At this point there cant be a leadership change...deals to be done etc.

Once the dust settles though the moves will start and it wont be pretty.

The Lib right will be plotting its moves as we speak - Malcolm has plenty of enemies with a score to settle.

Reply #24
The Lib right will be plotting its moves as we speak - Malcolm has plenty of enemies with a score to settle.

Not really, most of Abbott's support was removed over the recent year or so. Keep in mind when Abbott potted Bishop, he lost a very large chunk of his NSW Right support.

I suspect if the Coalition go backwards they would be decimated at another election, and the independents would grow even more powerful through peoples disillusionment with the two majors.

I know several life long ALP supporters who have just voted Coalition for the first time ever. But they are not abandoning their politics, just sending a message.

The risk for the Coalition is that this result has happened in-spite of Andrews best attempts to scupper the ALP in Victoria. If another election is called to resolve the deadlock, and the CFA issue goes away, those disgruntled voters may return to the ALP and that would be a nightmare for the Coalition.

There is no convincing the voters the threat to Medicare is bogus, the track record over the last few years says otherwise, and a return to Abbott would only reinforce that belief.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
MT ran a shockingly lazy, almost arrogant campaign.

There was an article by a journo who spent the last 2 weeks with MT and his team and he said they were lethargic as all get up......

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #26
Not really, most of Abbott's support was removed over the recent year or so. Keep in mind when Abbott potted Bishop, he lost a very large chunk of his NSW Right support.

I suspect if the Coalition go backwards they would be decimated at another election, and the independents would grow even more powerful through peoples disillusionment with the two majors.

I know several life long ALP supporters who have just voted Coalition for the first time ever. But they are not abandoning their politics, just sending a message.

The risk for the Coalition is that this result has happened in-spite of Andrews best attempts to scupper the ALP in Victoria. If another election is called to resolve the deadlock, and the CFA issue goes away, those disgruntled voters may return to the ALP and that would be a nightmare for the Coalition.

There is no convincing the voters the threat to Medicare is bogus, the track record over the last few years says otherwise, and a return to Abbott would only reinforce that belief.

Who said anything about Abbot? The forces of the right are very much alive and well if not prominent atm.

Reply #27
Even if he manages to scrape together enough support to form a majority government, Malcolm Turnball is now Julia Gillard circa 2010, a lame duck leader in a poisonous parliament where his own party, as well as the people of the Nation, no longer have faith in him. His agenda is in tatters, his authority diminished and his judgment is being questioned on multiple levels.

Ohm, and by the way, with the moronic rednecks in Queensland once again voting that hate ignorant, mongering racist Pauline Hanson back into Parliament, I'm wondering if its possible for us to have a 'Quexit', and kick Queensland out of Australia!! ‪#‎wishfullthinking

Reply #28
MT ran a shockingly lazy, almost arrogant campaign.

There was an article by a journo who spent the last 2 weeks with MT and his team and he said they were lethargic as all get up......

And the other bloke lied.

Great options we have.

At least Pauline gets a say in how our country is run.
 :o