Skip to main content
Topic: Election 2016 (Read 13495 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Election 2016

Reply #30
I think we are more likely to end up with neither party able to form a majority government, and we will be voting again.

The implications of such an outcome is one I have no idea about.

Probably more cost, for no gain.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #31
Who said anything about Abbot? The forces of the right are very much alive and well if not prominent atm.

Yes, but they are one of the causes of this, they are not the cure.

It's ironic that someone like Bolt points the finger at the alleged cause, but Bolt and his type "are the main cause" of this total feck up!

Further the vapid media pander to the likes of Hinch and Hanson for a front page quote, give them page after page of free political commentary without question the validity of their obscure opinions and thoughts. Then after making them the story the media point the finger at "Joe Public" for voting in the nutters!

Is it just me that sees the irony in "the media" labeling the Turnbull campaign as lazy. Yet look at the lowest common denominator in the media's own reporting, hardly any real effort there! Just like Bolt, the media "is a cause" but they are not in the business of pointing the finger at themselves! Until they stop elevating uniformed opinion to the level of fact they will remain primarily responsible for this countries malaise.

FFS, I suspect Hanson will have a Bill in place to investigate UFOs before the week is out! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
FFS, I suspect Hanson will have a Bill in place to investigate UFOs before the week is out! :D

No LP, she will want a Royal Commission  ;)

While it won't necessarily provide for good government or maintain our credit rating and standard of living, the election of Hanson and Hinch will give comedians and cartoonists a wealth of material  :P
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Yes, but they are one of the causes of this, they are not the cure.

It's ironic that someone like Bolt points the finger at the alleged cause, but Bolt and his type "are the main cause" of this total feck up!

Further the vapid media pander to the likes of Hinch and Hanson for a front page quote, give them page after page of free political commentary without question the validity of their obscure opinions and thoughts. Then after making them the story the media point the finger at "Joe Public" for voting in the nutters!

Is it just me that sees the irony in "the media" labeling the Turnbull campaign as lazy. Yet look at the lowest common denominator in the media's own reporting, hardly any real effort there! Just like Bolt, the media "is a cause" but they are not in the business of pointing the finger at themselves! Until they stop elevating uniformed opinion to the level of fact they will remain primarily responsible for this countries malaise.

All valid questions I guess LP, but in simple terms the right wing power brokers  of the Liberal party are definitely not fans or true supporters of Malcolm and he was only elected leader, subject to strict conditions and limits, because it was thought he (rather than Abbot) could win a comfortable majority at the election. He won't achieve that and as a consequence he is no longer attractive to them. All they really care about is being in government.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #34

Ohm, and by the way, with the moronic rednecks in Queensland once again voting that hate ignorant, mongering racist Pauline Hanson back into Parliament, I'm wondering if its possible for us to have a 'Quexit', and kick Queensland out of Australia!! ‪#‎wishfullthinking

That's the annoying thing about a democracy isn't it? A whole bunch of people who have entirely different views to you get to have a say as well.

How inconsiderate.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #35
Even if he manages to scrape together enough support to form a majority government, Malcolm Turnball is now Julia Gillard circa 2010, a lame duck leader in a poisonous parliament where his own party, as well as the people of the Nation, no longer have faith in him. His agenda is in tatters, his authority diminished and his judgment is being questioned on multiple levels.

Ohm, and by the way, with the moronic rednecks in Queensland once again voting that hate ignorant, mongering racist Pauline Hanson back into Parliament, I'm wondering if its possible for us to have a 'Quexit', and kick Queensland out of Australia!! ‪#‎wishfullthinking

At this stage, going but seats won as well as who's leading in doubtful seats (which can change) it's 72-all with 6 crossbenchers. You can bet that the only one of the crossbenchers the Libs will get onside is Katter. If it was to somehow remain 72-all Shorten would end up PM of a minority government. Probably better as if the Libs went into minority government, with all the internal party issues, they would totally implode and lose a vote of no-confidence.

Reply #36
Anthony Green says the LNP may end up with a 1 or 2 seat majority.  He says the AEC's seat analysis doesn't take into account the way that absent and pre-poll votes should go.

Reply #37
Anthony Green says the LNP may end up with a 1 or 2 seat majority.  He says the AEC's seat analysis doesn't take into account the way that absent and pre-poll votes should go.

It has to be a two seat majority. It's 76 seats to form government and that leaves 74 seats for the opposition and cross benches.

Barrie Cassidy reckons a hung parliament is inevitable with the major parties each winning around 72 seats.  The AEC has the LNP leading in 67 seats with the lead in two of those less than 0.5%.  Relying on postal and pre-poll votes to snaffle another 9 seats would be a stretch.  Still, nothings guaranteed in politics. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
Yep, should be 2 or 4 seat majority. Hoping he's wrong.

Reply #39
I've seen evidence that Jon Snow the King in the North and Lyanna Mormont both picked up a vote in the House of Representatives
Is there any chance of the Stark United Party picking up a Senate seat ;D

Reply #40
It has to be a two seat majority. It's 76 seats to form government and that leaves 74 seats for the opposition and cross benches.

Barrie Cassidy reckons a hung parliament is inevitable with the major parties each winning around 72 seats.  The AEC has the LNP leading in 67 seats with the lead in two of those less than 0.5%.  Relying on postal and pre-poll votes to snaffle another 9 seats would be a stretch.  Still, nothings guaranteed in politics.

Have to appoint a speaker, who doesn't vote.

76 seats to form government, minus 1 equals 75 votes on the floor in the lower house. 74 on the other side (or sides now) therefore you govern with a single seat majority?

Reply #41
Aren't the Libs lucky that they don't have any factions.  ::)

When Turnbull said that at their national conference, there was jeering and laughter from the audience.  At least the ALP recognises that they have factions and have adopted mechanisms to resolve conflict.  The Liberals just have a free-for-all and the comservative wing seriously believes that only the far right can be true conservatives.  Imagine if the far left of the ALP were as successful as their far right counterparts in their attempts to dominate the ALP. 

Reply #42
Aren't the Libs lucky that they don't have any factions.  ::)

When Turnbull said that at their national conference, there was jeering and laughter from the audience.  At least the ALP recognises that they have factions and have adopted mechanisms to resolve conflict.  The Liberals just have a free-for-all and the comservative wing seriously believes that only the far right can be true conservatives.  Imagine if the far left of the ALP were as successful as their far right counterparts in their attempts to dominate the ALP.

The populist far right is gaining in popularity world wide. Here it is still not a huge force but is growing. A very concerning trend.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43
Have to appoint a speaker, who doesn't vote.

76 seats to form government, minus 1 equals 75 votes on the floor in the lower house. 74 on the other side (or sides now) therefore you govern with a single seat majority?

The speaker has a casting vote in the event of tied vote.

The speaker is elected by secret ballot. It is convention that the speaker is from the government but there's nothing in the constitution preventing him/her coming from the opposition or cross benches.  In fact, Peter Slipper was a Liberal MP when elected as speaker during the last Labor government.  Slipper resigned from the LNP when he took the speaker's role.

Reply #44
The populist far right is gaining in popularity world wide. Here it is still not a huge force but is growing. A very concerning trend.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, the hard part is to know your enemy! :o

Most media will tell you "It's them over there" that are your enemy. But in reality, as part of day to day life, it's Johnny Corporate next door that is doing the most damage! But the "corporates" are excellent at obfuscation, making sure you think it's the immigrants and terrorists who are to blame for the increasing oil/energy prices, rising food prices, insurance/health, etc., etc..

Muppets like Hanson bite harder than a Great White. Now she is attacking Climate Change Science, Renewable Energy Schemes, Foreign Investment, etc., etc.. Who do you think feeds her with that bullsh1t, ISIS, I doubt it!
The Force Awakens!