Skip to main content
Topic: Election 2016 (Read 13545 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Election 2016

Reply #45
The speaker has a casting vote in the event of tied vote.

The speaker is elected by secret ballot. It is convention that the speaker is from the government but there's nothing in the constitution preventing him/her coming from the opposition or cross benches.  In fact, Peter Slipper was a Liberal MP when elected as speaker during the last Labor government.  Slipper resigned from the LNP when he took the speaker's role.

Slipper was speaker for a minority government... you don't need to do that sort of numbers trick if you get to 76 seats.

I'm waiting for my car to be serviced and your comment about it having to be a 2 seat majority got me thinking... and i'm not really sure what the answer is to be honest.

I just thought 76 seats was a 1 seat majority because you command 75 votes on the floor (v 74 others)... if you loose 1 seat you can't form government in your own right. 

Maybe they get to 75 seats and Bob Katter ends up as speaker.

Reply #46
Slipper was speaker for a minority government... you don't need to do that sort of numbers trick if you get to 76 seats.

I'm waiting for my car to be serviced and your comment about it having to be a 2 seat majority got me thinking... and i'm not really sure what the answer is to be honest.

I just thought 76 seats was a 1 seat majority because you command 75 votes on the floor (v 74 others)... if you loose 1 seat you can't form government in your own right. 

Maybe they get to 75 seats and Bob Katter ends up as speaker.

I guess the bottom line is that you have to get at least 2 more seats than the rest in order to command a majority.  A 76-74 majority becomes a working majority of one if convention is followed and the speaker comes from the government side.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
Dig a big hole, chuck all the kents in it, back fill it and start over again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Dig a big hole, chuck all the kents in it, back fill it and start over again.

Sounds reasonable  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
I guess the bottom line is that you have to get at least 2 more seats than the rest in order to command a majority.  A 76-74 majority becomes a working majority of one if convention is followed and the speaker comes from the government side.

A friendly independent can be made speaker therefore maintaining a majority if necessary. Libs will get 76 seats anyway.