Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park (Read 32752 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park

Reply #75
The ladies aren't full time, professional athletes. They have careers, and play part time, like the blokes used to back in the day. It's a new sport, new competition, 1st week in, it's a short season for them, they don't have much time to train, prepare etc.

One must temper expectations to a degree.

Neither are most Olympic athletes, unfortunately in the women's sports.
Those excuses are all reasonable and make sense, but at the rate of improvement, they won't be quality for 10 years and very few people will be watching then.

I think they need to work around those excuses. It is harder than for men because they have other jobs, but so did most men even well into the 90s.

Highlighting the areas that need to improve and the reality of how much they need to improve is part of the solution.
Draft players and ensure they meet skinfold tests, put training on at the clubs for them year round. If someone says they can't commit.. then draft someone who can.
It should take less than one season of training to be more than good enough to play this game at that level, so you get the players prepared to do that.

Preseason for local football now starts in January for most clubs and they are not getting paid either.

The question is, does the game just continue along with the type of spectacle like last night or does it want to be taken seriously as a sport that attracts sponsors, supporters and the cash flow to allow the girls to play as full time professionals. Remember the men earned the right to professionalism, it wasn't just handed to them.

If the girls want to grow they can't hide behind the excuse (and I am not saying that they are, but others making these excuses for them) that they are not professional and have other jobs etc. They want to be up on the big stage in front of 20,000 paying spectators and televises on national tv then they need to make the SACRIFICE.

Could you imagine the havoc one girl with the ability to be a top player in any U/18 competition could do out there? Just 1?
They would pick up 40 touches and rip it up.

I don't agree with glossing over real issues if you want to succeed. That game last night would have won over very few people and would have lost a number of people that were 'taking a look'.
It does not help with the abysmal commentary team (was it Nicole Livingstone?), which was as bad as any I have ever heard.

It comes back to a simple question. Do the women want to have a professional football league?
If the answer is yes, they need to treat that the same way someone would treat the goal of making the Olympic team and throw everything into it.

Jim, I believe you train Olympic level or those attempting to be Olympic level walkers, How many are paid professional? And how many non professionals come in overweight for a professional athlete?.. I don't know what is required to be an Olympic walkers I am guessing, but I do know those hoping to make the Swimming teams are making HUGE sacrifices with hours of training each day and restricting their diets, with no guarantee of making it.

All of what I have said sounds critical and it is, but pretending that was a good game to watch to me is far worse than pointing out how much they need to improve.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #76
I understand Lods, but these girls are earning a lot more than most local league players are earning for a season and the fitness and skill levels really are poor for even under age football.

And that has to be a concern that the AFLW players should be addressing.
If it just trickles along, the general interest might just dry up
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #77
They need to modify the rules to avoid congestion and open the game up.  They play crowded, pressure football around the ball but don’t have the skills or strength to break it open. They do everything under pressure.  Give them time and space and you ‘might’ see some improvement. 

Reply #78
Terrible umpiring. Missed about 3 free kicks at the opening bounce then plucked one out for the pies.
There were 17 free kicks given in the first quarter. Most of them were very tiggy touch-wood stuff. Three very obvious in the back free kicks (all to us) were ignored, including one that started the first 'confrontation' of the night.
I don't think there were 17 free in the last 3 quarters combined.

I'd say that the umpires were a tad rusty, to be generous.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #79
Our tackling and pressure is a big reason for the lead at quarter time.
Harris impressive. :D
Over the whole night, the pressure put on by our mids and defenders especially was fantastic. Good chasing and excellent intensity. That sort of fanaticism could take us a long way.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #80
There's a young lady called Moody playing for the Blues.

Booya.
Breann Moody had a good night. She is tall and has a great jump and a lot of aggression.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #81
Former skipper Arnell statless!
Lauren didn't have a huge amount of game time, but he didn't have a kick or a handball for the night (2 tackles). I don't know if she has had injuries, but her influence in the midfield was sorely missed.
Alas, I think her time as a star may be over. She does provide a LOT of other stuff, but she was averaging about 14 possessions last year. And she usually hits her targets.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #82
Was it just me, or were Collingwood taking every opportunity to niggle, push, drop the knees in and even kick?

Just go for the ball girls.
They did play VERY physically. I am surprised that they were not penalized for it, to be honest. I think it was a deliberate ploy to put us off our game. I don't think it worked, to be honest. Our girls were concentrating more on the ball.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #83
Those excuses are all reasonable and make sense, but at the rate of improvement, they won't be quality for 10 years and very few people will be watching then.

I think they need to work around those excuses. It is harder than for men because they have other jobs, but so did most men even well into the 90s.

Highlighting the areas that need to improve and the reality of how much they need to improve is part of the solution.
Draft players and ensure they meet skinfold tests, put training on at the clubs for them year round. If someone says they can't commit.. then draft someone who can.
It should take less than one season of training to be more than good enough to play this game at that level, so you get the players prepared to do that.

Preseason for local football now starts in January for most clubs and they are not getting paid either.

The question is, does the game just continue along with the type of spectacle like last night or does it want to be taken seriously as a sport that attracts sponsors, supporters and the cash flow to allow the girls to play as full time professionals. Remember the men earned the right to professionalism, it wasn't just handed to them.

If the girls want to grow they can't hide behind the excuse (and I am not saying that they are, but others making these excuses for them) that they are not professional and have other jobs etc. They want to be up on the big stage in front of 20,000 paying spectators and televises on national tv then they need to make the SACRIFICE.

Could you imagine the havoc one girl with the ability to be a top player in any U/18 competition could do out there? Just 1?

I don't agree with glossing over real issues if you want to succeed. That game last night would have won over very few people and would have lost a number of people that were 'taking a look'.
It does not help with the abysmal commentary team (was it Nicole Livingstone?), which was as bad as any I have ever heard.

It comes back to a simple question. Do the women want to have a professional football league?
If the answer is yes, they need to treat that the same way someone would treat the goal of making the Olympic team and throw everything into it.

Jim, I believe you train Olympic level or those attempting to be Olympic level walkers, How many are paid professional? And how many non professionals come in overweight for a professional athlete?.. I don't know what is required to be an Olympic walkers I am guessing, but I do know those hoping to make the Swimming teams are making HUGE sacrifices with hours of training each day and restricting their diets, with no guarantee of making it.

All of what I have said sounds critical and it is, but pretending that was a good game to watch to me is far worse than pointing out how much they need to improve.

It's early days MIO. I don't think it's dire straits at this point. I find the game entertaining, for whatever reason. If I had a dollar for every AFL men's game that I've switched off because I was bored witless, I would be a very wealthy man.

Reply #84

All of your comments seem to be in regards to athletes who have played and trained most of their lives to get to the pinnacle of their sport. Absolutely ZERO of these girls have done that, because there was no pinnacle of their sport. They were lucky to even have a sport to play. Some of them could only play with the boys until 13 or so and for a lot of them there was nowhere to go after that.

Don't judge the football now. Judge it in 10 years when the young girls of today have been able to train all their developed lives for this opportunity.

No elite athletes? Pretty sure plenty of them were elite...in other sports. Downie played 232 WNBL games in a past life. There are others who played basketball, netball...we even have a javelin thrower in our team. Its a mixed bag and a melting pot.

re weight etc..
Have a look at Mo Hope from collingwood a year ago, and have a look at her last night. if she wasn't so unique with her look, you'd barely recognise her.
Sarah Perkins from Adelaide lost 40kg to make the cut.
There will be more girls doing similar the longer the competition is in existence.

re commentators...did you watch on fox or FTA?
Fox commentators were good, basically the VFL commentators with a AFLW player throw in.

Reply #85
Kruddler
If you take the swimming example I am talking about 16-18 year old girls that looked much fitter than a lot of players out there last night, volleyball.. same thing. In the case of volleyball these are girls (and boys) growing up playing a sport without any huge following in Australia and they have made sacrifices even as teens to get up early and train, to train late a night, to miss out on a lot of normal teen activities in the pursuit of their sport.

The sport has to have a reasonable skill level Kruddler regardless of how long they have been around and I was addressing the fact the players are not full time and stating neither are most Olympic athletes, yet they do everything they possibly can to sacrifice to make that top.

There is a top of the heap in AFLW now and that is great, so there is every reason for players to make all the right decisions. Are you in fact trying to imply that most of the players out there had what would be considered an athletes physique? I mean it has been pretty well 2 years from conception until now, so that is a LOT of time to train. You can see amazing transformations in even 1 year.. So.. were those players last night in 'peak' fitness? If you think so, then we have wildly different expectations of peak fitness.

I watched on the net it was I think Nicole Livingstone and she literally could hardly commentate it was embarrassing. I love Nicole, she was a sensational Australian athlete and always interviewed well as a swimmer, but if that was her last night.. she sounded almost panicked when asked questions. Literally no idea.

If you don't think there are issues about last night and the skill level that need addressing, all power to you. To me.. I think it is a long way from the quality required and from what I seen last night, probably the only 2 players that looked like footballers where the Chiocci and that Molloy girl.

The expectations when you want to get paid and you want to play in front of big crowds and also be nationally televised are wildly different to the expectations playing Saturday afternoon football, whether male or female.

If you were a broadcaster, how much would you pay for the rights to the women's game right now? Knowing you had to sustain the the interest over a number of years to get the sponsors to advertise etc... How much would you pay?

For someone to invest now (other than the AFL) there needs to be payback now. A broadcaster isn't going to sign on for 3-5 years not knowing if anyone will be watching it then.

So either the product is progressing nicely and it will just naturally eventually get there, or the the ladies/girls that are playing the game need to take it upon themselves to improve their skills/fitness and provide a game we can't turn off. I personally think the 1st is a bit head in the sand and nowhere near the approach required.

Surely the girls need to be able to perform the fundamental skills at a high level
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #86
I took my daughter to yesterday's game and got there just before the gates opened. As a result, we got good seats on the wing, where we used to sit for so many years. There were a few differences. Last year there were a lot more neutral supporters. This time the crowd was not as 'friendly', there was a lot more real partisan supporters. Probably about 54% women in the crowd.
Things were much better organized this year. There was a lot learnt from last year, although a bit of paint on the seats would not have been astray.
Our ground has aged, alas.

[1]   Skills:
A number of posters have commented about the skill, or lack thereof, in the game. To be honest, I was not surprised, but I was a little disappointed. The skill level shows where the game is at, at this point. In 3 – 5 years, the skill level will be MUCH better.
At the moment, a code jumper with athleticism can make the transition pretty easily. That will not be the case in 2022.
In the 1st quarter the skills were probably effected somewhat y nervousness and the perceived pressure. By the 2nd quarter, the skill level probably reached its peak for the game. Later in the game the intense pressure and fatigue caught up with the players and there were a lot of fumbles.

However:
(a)   I was very disappointed in our handball. Over 50% did not hit the target and almost all of them bounced before getting there. That was probably the worst aspect of the game for me, as we continually broke down when we had the advantage.
Tayla Harris was one of the worst offenders. Not one of her handballs ended up to our advantage.
(b)   Being a forward in this game is hard work, as the kicks are often not to advantage. Darcy Vescio was an example: each time she lead the ball gave her less than 50% chance of getting the ball. The really good teams with the best midfields give their forwards much better service than ours had.

[2]   Game plan:
I don’t think our game plan is going to win us a premiership this year.
Thank may sound a bit harsh after a single game in which we have won. But it looked very similar to last year’s and Collingwood’s coaching staff were ready with counters for our better players.
(a)   Our forward line was always outnumbered. Often there were 5 Magpies for 3 Carlton forwards and, particularly Darcy Vescio, had no room to use her magic. (She is also probably underdone after her knee injury, but that is another tale.) Darcy would tap the ball past 2 girls, to be intercepted by a 3rd.
(b)   Collingwood broke across the ground and tried to change direction with free players. Not once did we wake up to that move, which allowed the Pies to move the ball out of our defence a lot quicker than it should have. We did not such thing, relying on our greater aerial ability to win the ball.
(c)   The Pies appeared to have specific plans for our better players. They did not work totally, but they did shut down a considerable portion of our drive. They had a plan of playing multiple players around Darcy Vescio. They didn’t allow Breanna Davey any room at all. They often double teamed Tayla Harris. They managed to keep Lauren Arnell totally out of the game. We did not appear to have the same specific plans, although our defence was excellent at strangling their forward moves.

[3]   List:
(a)   Mids:
After last year’s season I wanted us to get more mids. Especially with a bit of strength and speed. Last night showed that we had not addressed that at all. Our mids did an excellent defensive job (our midfield laid a huge number of tackles), but not once did we get a clear break from the centre. In fact, Collingwood probably won the centre clearances. The Hosking girls were strong and hard, but they didn’t break out of the centre.
(b)   Small Forwards:
We were also deficient in small forwards last year, although a couple showed glimpses. It was similar last night. Georgie Gee showed some excellent pace and made crucial tackles that gave us the ball in the forward line, but she couldn’t kick 40 m and didn’t get a goal.
(c)   Rucks:
Our rucks are a good unit. Alison Downie was beaten last night by a bigger, stronger girl, but she is a class act and has more variety in her play. She isn’t getting any younger though.
Breann Moody, on the other hand, came on about half way through each quarter and dominated. He aggressive, face on attack on the ball allowed her to win maybe 90% of the taps she contested (she didn’t try for a few in the last quarter that surprised me). She knocks the ball exclusively forward, where Downie directs her taps better. Shierlaw and Gillespie-Jones also did some ruck work and it did give us options.
(d)   Tall Forwards:
Tayla Harris was a revelation. We did not use her all that well and her handballs were terrible, but her ability to shatter a pack, which allowed 3 marks within 15 m of goal other than just hers, was excellent. He kicking was generally very good, all except a true shank from 15 m, when she didn’t kick through the ball.
It took pressure off Darcy Vescio, as well.
It was hard to see a forward structure, as we did not move the ball down quickly or efficiently.

Over all, our defence is excellent. Our rucks are one of the best combos in the game. We have a forward option or 2. But the weaknesses from 2017 are still there. We really need top class midfielders if we are to make real progress.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #87
Kruddler
If you take the swimming example I am talking about 16-18 year old girls that looked much fitter than a lot of players out there last night, volleyball.. same thing. In the case of volleyball these are girls (and boys) growing up playing a sport without any huge following in Australia and they have made sacrifices even as teens to get up early and train, to train late a night, to miss out on a lot of normal teen activities in the pursuit of their sport.

The sport has to have a reasonable skill level Kruddler regardless of how long they have been around and I was addressing the fact the players are not full time and stating neither are most Olympic athletes, yet they do everything they possibly can to sacrifice to make that top.

There is a top of the heap in AFLW now and that is great, so there is every reason for players to make all the right decisions. Are you in fact trying to imply that most of the players out there had what would be considered an athletes physique? I mean it has been pretty well 2 years from conception until now, so that is a LOT of time to train. You can see amazing transformations in even 1 year.. So.. were those players last night in 'peak' fitness? If you think so, then we have wildly different expectations of peak fitness.

I watched on the net it was I think Nicole Livingstone and she literally could hardly commentate it was embarrassing. I love Nicole, she was a sensational Australian athlete and always interviewed well as a swimmer, but if that was her last night.. she sounded almost panicked when asked questions. Literally no idea.

If you don't think there are issues about last night and the skill level that need addressing, all power to you. To me.. I think it is a long way from the quality required and from what I seen last night, probably the only 2 players that looked like footballers where the Chiocci and that Molloy girl.

The expectations when you want to get paid and you want to play in front of big crowds and also be nationally televised are wildly different to the expectations playing Saturday afternoon football, whether male or female.

If you were a broadcaster, how much would you pay for the rights to the women's game right now? Knowing you had to sustain the the interest over a number of years to get the sponsors to advertise etc... How much would you pay?

For someone to invest now (other than the AFL) there needs to be payback now. A broadcaster isn't going to sign on for 3-5 years not knowing if anyone will be watching it then.

So either the product is progressing nicely and it will just naturally eventually get there, or the the ladies/girls that are playing the game need to take it upon themselves to improve their skills/fitness and provide a game we can't turn off. I personally think the 1st is a bit head in the sand and nowhere near the approach required.

Surely the girls need to be able to perform the fundamental skills at a high level

Let me put it to you this way...
NBA. Elite athletes, skills the best in the world. Games? Generally boring as bat $h!t to me. Half the games have the result sorted halfway through the game. The other half generally come down to the last 5 minutes making the rest of the game irrelevant up to that point. 82 games each for the regular season. A win (or loss) on any given night means SFA in the scheme of things. Generally little emotion attached.

AFLW....not elite athletes, skills needing work. Games? Hard fought contests that could go either way more often than not due to the low scoring involved.
Only 7 games a year, so every game is precious. Emotion involved from the players is greater than you see in AFL.

Yes, skills do need some work, but i'm not watching games to see elite skills. I'm watching the games to see these girls give there all to get a win. NOT for the money, for the pure love of the game.

You want to talk elite athletes and body shapes/sizes.
I'll give you 2 names and let you fill in the blanks.
Greg Williams
Tony Lockett

Don't forget that some of these girls had never even played a game of football until they donned their AFLW jumpers.
A 2 second search showed me that there are former athletes from far and wide playing AFLW today.
Basketball, Hockey, Netball, Athletics, Volleyball, Beach volleyball, Soccer...and i'm sure there are many more i'm missing too.

Another one for ya, what is bigger in america? NFL or college football?? Which one has the better athletes? Perhaps the emotions involved play a bigger part in the game than just seeing the best of the best?

Reply #88
Is the minumum kick length still 15m for a mark to be awarded?

i saw a few kicks that would have gone 5-10m and a mark was awarded.

As for Gee, gosh a good little runner but ran at an open goal but the kick barely went 12m!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #89
Is the minumum kick length still 15m for a mark to be awarded?

i saw a few kicks that would have gone 5-10m and a mark was awarded.

As for Gee, gosh a good little runner but ran at an open goal but the kick barely went 12m!

Her playing weight is probably about 45kg....if that. Not sure how much penetration in your kicking you'll get with that.
She is only 18.