Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park (Read 32755 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park

Reply #120
It is what it is. It isn't AFLv2.0, and I don't expect it to be, so I enjoy it (especially when Carlton win). It's a different version of the same game, with lots of differences, particularly in terms of size and power. I enjoy it the same way as I have enjoyed watching my boy play junior footy over the past 8 or 9 years. I don't expect super skills, what's enjoyable is watching the team compete and do the beat they can, and watching the players develop and improve. I've enjoyed watching junior footy MUCH more than watching Carlton's AFL team over the past 8 or 9 years

Reply #121
It is what it is. It isn't AFLv2.0, and I don't expect it to be, so I enjoy it (especially when Carlton win). It's a different version of the same game, with lots of differences, particularly in terms of size and power. I enjoy it the same way as I have enjoyed watching my boy play junior footy over the past 8 or 9 years. I don't expect super skills, what's enjoyable is watching the team compete and do the beat they can, and watching the players develop and improve. I've enjoyed watching junior footy MUCH more than watching Carlton's AFL team over the past 8 or 9 years
Well said
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122
I was never expecting them to kick goals from 50, not even 35- 40m tbh.

But 25m, bloody oath. And to hit up a target over that distance more often than not....

Suggesting a 18yo girl is physically weaker than a 12yo boy (in general) is pure balderdash.

Suggesting executing a decent drop punt is more about strength than anything else is equally problematic - try ball drop, timing and technique.....

And sure, I don't want the girls to start shirt fronting or doing Dusty's 'don't argue' but I do expect them to be able to execute a reasonable handball to a team mate over 2-3 metres.....

Anyway, enjoy it folks. Each to their own....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #123
I wonder if the AFL took the ALFW seriously enough when planning. Some humble thoughts.

1. Free entry spanks of fear that there will be little interest. Many knew it would be popular. There should be a gold coin donation as entry, which goes to a reputable breast cancer research organisation/domestic violence support organisation. A magnificent opportunity to do some real good re women's issues, missed. But it's not too late. There is a dynamic opportunity here for the league to buddy up with women's issues organisations and for the players to become mentors etc. AFL marketing dept must be one of the most unimaginative and impotent in modern business.

2. Last touch free kick (boundary line) worked a treat, eh! ::) They just don't get it, do they. The differences between male and female physiology is well said by others. But the AFL failed to take this into account. To speed up the game and get more scoring you only need to factor in the different body structures... so, tackling modifications to better suit women - for a start, no shirt-fronts, breasts don't do well with repeated blows. Like the head and genitals, harsh contact to the boozies should be penalised.

3. Get tougher on incorrect disposal. The number of free kicks that didn't happen in all 3 games was embarrassing. This should also apply in the men's competition. Look at replays of games a couple of decades ago or longer, if you were caught with the aggot whether you had prior opportunity or not, you were penalised. This will speed up both games. Once you take possesion, you'd better dispose of it by foot or handball... or else.

4. Absolutely the skills will improve in time. But it'll take some time as more funding goes to girls (up to 12 years) and teens and more teams and leagues are established.

5. Ball size is still not right. Confidence for the women / teens / girls will come when they can have more control over the ball in their hands - this will also improve skills (obviously).

Good points Baggers, particularly the gold coin donation and women's issues.  The only reason I can think of for why this hasn't been done is the cost of collecting and processing donations.  Perhaps a volunteer organisation could do it.

The size of the footy is an interesting issue.  Women's hands are significantly smaller than men's and a smaller footy may be easier to handle and mark.  However, my rudimentary knowledge of physics and aerodynamics suggests that the smaller the footy, the less distance it can be kicked  :-\

The AFL should really test proposed rule changes under match conditions before making changes.  Surely it would have been possible to trial the last touch rule in a few VFLW games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #124

Probably the bottom line.
Those of us that are enjoying it... good on us.
If you're not that's OK too!

The success of the competition will depend on winning over those who are not currently on board, and that will probably depend on an improvement in the skills over the years.

Reply #125
I was never expecting them to kick goals from 50, not even 35- 40m tbh.

But 25m, bloody oath. And to hit up a target over that distance more often than not....

Suggesting a 18yo girl is physically weaker than a 12yo boy (in general) is pure balderdash.

Suggesting executing a decent drop punt is more about strength than anything else is equally problematic - try ball drop, timing and technique.....

And sure, I don't want the girls to start shirt fronting or doing Dusty's 'don't argue' but I do expect them to be able to execute a reasonable handball to a team mate over 2-3 metres.....

Physiology isn't your strong point. In the end i'm sure some girls have a good ball drop and timing but if you don't have the physical strength to get the distance it's not going that far, and that's the biggest difference in this case. Those with better timing and ball drops will kick it further of course but they won't be kicking it like men or even bigger young boys. Welcome to the world of differences between men and women.

Some of those 12yo can be fair size boys. Some could well be stronger than an 18yo female depending on what stage of physical development they are at. there's won't be of course.

Reply #126
You miss the point.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #127
You miss the point.

Say whatever you want.

Girls are not as strong as boys.

Skinny girls that weigh half as much as an AFL footballer are not going to be known for their long kicking.

Reply #128
The naysayers are founding their arguments based on what women do relative to men, it's pointless.

They don't get that the AFLW is a totally different game, so comparisons with AFL are pointless.

Like comparing Go-Karts to F1. They can race on the same track with the same priorities, rules and a similar skill set but that is where the comparison ends. Yet you can easily understand and respect both sports. Why is it so hard for some to accept females playing football, that seems to be the issue underlying many negative posts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
I wonder if the AFL took the ALFW seriously enough when planning. Some humble thoughts.

1. Free entry spanks of fear that there will be little interest. Many knew it would be popular. There should be a gold coin donation as entry, which goes to a reputable breast cancer research organisation/domestic violence support organisation. A magnificent opportunity to do some real good re women's issues, missed. But it's not too late. There is a dynamic opportunity here for the league to buddy up with women's issues organisations and for the players to become mentors etc. AFL marketing dept must be one of the most unimaginative and impotent in modern business.

2. Last touch free kick (boundary line) worked a treat, eh! ::) They just don't get it, do they. The differences between male and female physiology is well said by others. But the AFL failed to take this into account. To speed up the game and get more scoring you only need to factor in the different body structures... so, tackling modifications to better suit women - for a start, no shirt-fronts, breasts don't do well with repeated blows. Like the head and genitals, harsh contact to the boozies should be penalised.

3. Get tougher on incorrect disposal. The number of free kicks that didn't happen in all 3 games was embarrassing. This should also apply in the men's competition. Look at replays of games a couple of decades ago or longer, if you were caught with the aggot whether you had prior opportunity or not, you were penalised. This will speed up both games. Once you take possesion, you'd better dispose of it by foot or handball... or else.

4. Absolutely the skills will improve in time. But it'll take some time as more funding goes to girls (up to 12 years) and teens and more teams and leagues are established.

5. Ball size is still not right. Confidence for the women / teens / girls will come when they can have more control over the ball in their hands - this will also improve skills (obviously).

I agree with the gold coin donation, but not that it should go to a charity. That's kind of insulting actually. Do you think the men would play for unders and let the proceeds of their efforts be given away?  We should certainly be charging a gold coin donation, but put that money back into the development of the women. The key issue with this competition is that the women aren't full time professional sports people. They only train twice a week and still work full time jobs. The only way this competition improves is if they are able to dedicate the same amount of time to perfecting their game as the men do.

Also, tackling shouldn't be modified, breasts are more resilient than you think lol.

Reply #130
Say whatever you want.

Girls are not as strong as boys.

Skinny girls that weigh half as much as an AFL footballer are not going to be known for their long kicking.

No scheisse Sherlock. You miss the point too....

Since when is the skill of kicking or handballing a footy i.e. hitting a target a function of strength?

I was impressed by the tackling efforts btw.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #131
It's a shame you don't hold Levi Casboult to the same standards as these girls.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #132
It's a shame you don't hold Levi Casboult to the same standards as these girls.

It guess it was only a matter of time before poor old Levi was dragged into the debate. I almost did it myself yesterday.

Reply #133
No scheisse Sherlock. You miss the point too....

Since when is the skill of kicking or handballing a footy i.e. hitting a target a function of strength?

I was impressed by the tackling efforts btw.
I think there is only 1 person missing the point, and that is you.

I think you've forgotten what you actually said to begin with!

As for Gee, gosh a good little runner but ran at an open goal but the kick barely went 12m!

You are clearly talking about length of the kick, rather than the accuracy of it. Which is why we are having this strength debate.

Reply #134
No, I rest my case.

I never said she should kick it 50 or even 40 or even 30.....pretty easy point to grasp really. For most.

::) ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!