Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park (Read 32753 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park

Reply #135
I agree with the gold coin donation, but not that it should go to a charity. That's kind of insulting actually. Do you think the men would play for unders and let the proceeds of their efforts be given away?  We should certainly be charging a gold coin donation, but put that money back into the development of the women. The key issue with this competition is that the women aren't full time professional sports people. They only train twice a week and still work full time jobs. The only way this competition improves is if they are able to dedicate the same amount of time to perfecting their game as the men do.

Also, tackling shouldn't be modified, breasts are more resilient than you think lol.

Fair call but I beg to differ. I don't think it would be insulting. In fact I suspect many of the women would be wrapped to know that some proceeds from their efforts would go to help worthy women causes.

However, the core of my point was that the AFL has not demonstrated imagination in terms of reaping full benefit from the popularity of the ALFW. Of course a % of proceeds should be poured back into the further development of the competition.

Even the men's comp has special affiliation rounds to show support to various community issues/charities - prostate cancer for one and I'm sure the players are happy that money raised from their efforts aids prostate cancer research.

Perhaps, and I'm only brainstorming here/just thought starters, a certain % goes to further development but each round also buddies up with a given bona fide women's cause... this gives promotion to the cause and would encourage corporate sponsorship which brings in more money to also aid development. That's central to my argument, just apply imagination to marketing potential that could deliver both cause support and future development support. This grows the ALFW in other ways that can only help.

I was not aware that bosoms are very resilient and localised trauma is not indicative of cancer risk (like a good boy, I did some research  :)) )... perhaps I've been too gentle over the decades  ;D

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #136
A two week ban for the kick to the groin seems about right in a short season.

If it had been the men I'd expect 3 or more, but 2 out of 7 or so AFLW games is a hefty penalty and appropriate.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #137
A two week ban for the kick to the groin seems about right in a short season.

If it had been the men I'd expect 3 or more, but 2 out of 7 or so AFLW games is a hefty penalty and appropriate.

I think that it's too lenient LP. 

I realise that it's a short season but kicking an opponent, and particularly in the groin, deserves a more severe penalty.  It looked bad and just the thing to stop mothers letting their daughters play footy.  The AFL made a lot of noise about coming down hard on AFLW players that punch and they've let D'Arcy off with a slap from a wet lettuce leaf.

I would have suspended her for the rest of the season.

One mitigating factor is that she was given an almighty wedgie that should have earned her a 50 metre penalty.  If that was paid in a timely manner, she probably wouldn't have kicked.  The umpires seemed reluctant to pay obvious frees and 50m penalties.  Perhaps they are umpiring to instructions.  If so, the instructions need to change!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #138
No, I rest my case.

I never said she should kick it 50 or even 40 or even 30.....pretty easy point to grasp really. For most.

::) ::)

...and i never said you did say that.

You talked about length, not skills and were called out on it. Deal.

Reply #139
Molloy got the games MVP Nomination over Chiocci, I'm a bit surprised but I'm probably biased, and they both played well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
Fair call but I beg to differ. I don't think it would be insulting. In fact I suspect many of the women would be wrapped to know that some proceeds from their efforts would go to help worthy women causes.

However, the core of my point was that the AFL has not demonstrated imagination in terms of reaping full benefit from the popularity of the ALFW. Of course a % of proceeds should be poured back into the further development of the competition.

Even the men's comp has special affiliation rounds to show support to various community issues/charities - prostate cancer for one and I'm sure the players are happy that money raised from their efforts aids prostate cancer research.

Perhaps, and I'm only brainstorming here/just thought starters, a certain % goes to further development but each round also buddies up with a given bona fide women's cause... this gives promotion to the cause and would encourage corporate sponsorship which brings in more money to also aid development. That's central to my argument, just apply imagination to marketing potential that could deliver both cause support and future development support. This grows the ALFW in other ways that can only help.

I was not aware that bosoms are very resilient and localised trauma is not indicative of cancer risk (like a good boy, I did some research  :)) )... perhaps I've been too gentle over the decades  ;D

Yeah I think that would be a better compromise. But I still think it would be a bit of a slap in the face when the women are already grossly underpaid. I get that there are rounds in the AFL that go to certain charities, but even average male footballers are earning 6 figure wages. The women aren't being paid enough to forgo other full time employment, so until that happens, I'd rather see any profits made go back into the game, particularly via the women. The sooner they can become full time sports people, the sooner the skill levels will improve.

Reply #141
Yeah I think that would be a better compromise. But I still think it would be a bit of a slap in the face when the women are already grossly underpaid. I get that there are rounds in the AFL that go to certain charities, but even average male footballers are earning 6 figure wages. The women aren't being paid enough to forgo other full time employment, so until that happens, I'd rather see any profits made go back into the game, particularly via the women. The sooner they can become full time sports people, the sooner the skill levels will improve.

Yep, but I think the women are realistic enough to understand that it'll take time to earn serious loot (what they deserve). I don't think there's any greater slap in the face than making admission free. Treats them like a sideshow. What I am proposing is to begin to value their league more to put a premium on it - some entrance fee. At least from something you can grow to more and justify it, and then share the spoils.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #142
I was never expecting them to kick goals from 50, not even 35- 40m tbh.

But 25m, bloody oath. And to hit up a target over that distance more often than not....

Suggesting a 18yo girl is physically weaker than a 12yo boy (in general) is pure balderdash.

Suggesting executing a decent drop punt is more about strength than anything else is equally problematic - try ball drop, timing and technique.....

And sure, I don't want the girls to start shirt fronting or doing Dusty's 'don't argue' but I do expect them to be able to execute a reasonable handball to a team mate over 2-3 metres.....

Anyway, enjoy it folks. Each to their own....

x100. Perfectly said!!!!

To televise live on FTA and bang on like its going to be so amazing.......its a major let down if you watch it unbiased. And yeah it got $19K fans but no one put there hand in their pocket. Who in the right mind would pay even $5 to watch it!! You would have to be mad.

To be brutally honest there are large chunks of the match that were laughable..............the second half in particular was an appalling - basic skills were just not there. Under 14s is of a consistently higher standard. Some were complaining it to AFL res grade - please!!!!!

I said it before and will say it again....take off the club colours and no one would be in the slightest bit interested.

Wont last.

Reply #143
x100. Perfectly said!!!!

To televise live on FTA and bang on like its going to be so amazing.......its a major let down if you watch it unbiased. And yeah it got $19K fans but no one put there hand in their pocket. Who in the right mind would pay even $5 to watch it!! You would have to be mad.

To be brutally honest there are large chunks of the match that were laughable..............the second half in particular was an appalling - basic skills were just not there. Under 14s is of a consistently higher standard. Some were complaining it to AFL res grade - please!!!!!

I said it before and will say it again....take off the club colours and no one would be in the slightest bit interested.

Wont last.

Same could be said for the mens team for large parts of the past 2 decades.

As i've said previously, its not just about skills, its about the contest. That goes for any sport.

Reply #144
Same could be said for the mens team for large parts of the past 2 decades.

As i've said previously, its not just about skills, its about the contest. That goes for any sport.

While I agree the mens team has for too long been one of the consistently weaker teams but don't bother discussing the skill levels of each competition, as there is no argument.

Over the last 20 we have had players of the calibre of Judd, Fev, Kouta, Murphy to name a few.

You will never ever ever witness anything even close to that level in the women's comp.

Reply #145
Back in the day I used to watch SANFL and think that the skills displayed in that seemed to be superior to what was on show in the old VFL.

The reality was that the level of play in the VFL was streets ahead.
The difference was the pressure.
You had less time to execute in VFL.
Kicks and handballs were performed under greater pressure and as a result were often less 'çlean' than they were in minor leagues.
It's the same with Under 18 footballers these days.
Take the star U/18 player and pop him in an AFL side and he doesn't look anywhere near the player he was in the junior league until he gets up to speed with the game.

I suspect this is what we're seeing with the women at the moment.
They're all "9-game players" at this level of pressure.
How many "9 game AFLérs" are up to speed with the game?
Let's see what it looks like in a couple of seasons.

Reply #146
Back in the day I used to watch SANFL and think that the skills displayed in that seemed to be superior to what was on show in the old VFL.

The reality was that the level of play in the VFL was streets ahead.
The difference was the pressure.
You had less time to execute in VFL.
Kicks and handballs were performed under greater pressure and as a result were often less 'çlean' than they were in minor leagues.
It's the same with Under 18 footballers these days.
Take the star U/18 player and pop him in an AFL side and he doesn't look anywhere near the player he was in the junior league until he gets up to speed with the game.

I suspect this is what we're seeing with the women at the moment.
They're all "9-game players" at this level of pressure.
How many "9 game AFLérs" are up to speed with the game?
Let's see what it looks like in a couple of seasons.

Good points Lods - as usual  ;)

I think that the short season makes a huge difference to the intensity of the game and, hence, the pressure and perceived pressure.  Losing a game here or there in an AFL season doesn't mean all that much but losing a game in the AFLW could end your finals prospects. 

I still don't have TV (my son and my nephew are going to sort it next weekend) but, from what I've seen, defensive structures ruled and the pressure was intense.  That certainly would have had an impact on the skills and fluidity of the game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #147
Give it time.

The league's best player last season was a basketballer.

Our best player was a goalkeeper.

Imagine how good they would have been if they had focused on footy their whole lives?

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #148
Give it time.

Imagine how good they would have been if they had focused on footy their whole lives?

Yes, no doubt that will be the case!

Also the massive rise in fitness and physicality has, as Lods points out, greatly increased pressure acts on field. At the moment the girls are playing catch up in terms of decision making and experience. They are all now fit enough to get to the contest and influence the disposal, but they are not experienced at playing under such pressure. The tell for me is how many of them are still goal orientated, they still try to pick up the pill and head straight through a wall of opponents for goal.

If you want to judge how much they have improved, it will probably show when their normal state level season starts later this year and the fitness and talent is spread across many teams.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #149
Give it time.

Yes indeed.