Skip to main content
Topic: Cripps on the couch (Read 14846 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cripps on the couch

Reply #45
Wow, talking about drawing on a long bow... with some pretty peculiar logic, spanks of 'let's choose the lesser of two evils' kind of attitude. To even think for a moment that Crippa is anything like Buckley is bizarre. Watch Crippa's interviews again... he comes across a quality person, with towering humility. Nothing humble about Buckley... smart? Yes. Witty? Yes. Champion player? Yes. But there is much about him that comes across as a condescending self absorbed pr1ck.

Doc, like Crippa, comes across as a quality person, with strong footy smarts and communication skills. And, like Crippa, a seeming authentic love of the CFC.

Doc and Crippa are both worthy Captains of the CFC, can your brain grasp that reality without having to find a potential fault in one to justify appointing the other? Can you perhaps trust the CFC and those close to both of them (and others) to make the right decision? And that just might be joint skippers... or not. Either way, does it really matter? They both love the place and want to drive success and are bona fide leaders. To even mention Crippa's name in the same sentence as Buckley is very offensive.

Many organisations have groups within groups and it is then dependent on the senior management to dismantle these 'exclusive' groups to create a more 'inclusive' environment and unless you've been hiding under a rock, it is blatantly obvious that BB is creating an environment solidly underpinned by inclusiveness.... whole of club inclusiveness, this kind of culture will weed out self-interested pr1cks rather quickly... or provide them with the tools to change.

+1

It may even be as simple as going to a vote and allowing the playing group to structure up the leadership group they demand.

The day we can do that, we know we have turned the corner as a footy club!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #46
Listening to Liddle's recent 3AW interview, I'm now even stronger on Doc as captain.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
The other player who Mick used to placate the groups was Luke Ball who came into the club and was a opposite of Swan, Didak, Shaw etc etc but still managed to get on with everyone and had the respect of every player.

I heard the opposite of Ball.
Was so self centered he didn't give time to anyone, including a young guy he was supposed to be mentoring.

Reply #48
I heard the opposite of Ball.
Was so self centered he didn't give time to anyone, including a young guy he was supposed to be mentoring.

I was told by a Collingwood U18 scout who was one of the dads I used to see at my kids basketball games that Ball was non factional and a good influence on the younger group and during the year
he had off with injury he was very good as a role model for recovery work. Very matey with Chris Dawes who wasnt a Rat pack favourite was Ball...Dawes was one kid they couldnt intimidate when he arrived at Collingwood.

Reply #49
Wow, talking about drawing on a long bow... with some pretty peculiar logic, spanks of 'let's choose the lesser of two evils' kind of attitude. To even think for a moment that Crippa is anything like Buckley is bizarre. Watch Crippa's interviews again... he comes across a quality person, with towering humility. Nothing humble about Buckley... smart? Yes. Witty? Yes. Champion player? Yes. But there is much about him that comes across as a condescending self absorbed pr1ck.

That is somewhat out of context.
I wasn't saying Cripps was the same as Buckley, just saying we don't know if he is.

We are not 'in' the club, so we can't comment.

The whole point is you just don't pick 'the best player' and make them captain as that isn't always the best thing to do. I simply cited Buckley as an example of that.
No doubt Cripps is the best player. Just doubt over if he is the best captain.

Reply #50
That is somewhat out of context.
I wasn't saying Cripps was the same as Buckley, just saying we don't know if he is.

We are not 'in' the club, so we can't comment.

The whole point is you just don't pick 'the best player' and make them captain as that isn't always the best thing to do. I simply cited Buckley as an example of that.
No doubt Cripps is the best player. Just doubt over if he is the best captain.

Why do you doubt Cripps claims as our best captain?

I'd be happy with either Doc or Cripps - yet to see anything on or off field from either of them that concerns me.

I do think Doc is a smoother media operator at the moment.... Cripps can still look a little green with the camera in front of him but confident he will improve that side if exposed to it more.

Reply #51
Why do you doubt Cripps claims as our best captain?

I'd be happy with either Doc or Cripps - yet to see anything on or off field from either of them that concerns me.

I do think Doc is a smoother media operator at the moment.... Cripps can still look a little green with the camera in front of him but confident he will improve that side if exposed to it more.

Oy....i remember the days of multiple quotes that solved a lot of these arguments.

I don't have a problem with Cripps being captain.
I am just saying there is an unknown side of things that we, as supporters, don't know about.

I doubt there were too many Collingwood fans that were unhappy with Buckley being named captain back in the day.
Yet he created a divide, or at least, couldn't heal the divide. He wasn't really a people person. Are we 100% sure that Cripps doesn't have the same problem?

People claim that Cripps should 100% be captain, i'm saying nothing is clear cut.

I heard a story over the weekend on the radio in regards to Gary Ablett Snr. Back in the day, he stood in as the 'special comments' guy one day (i think on radio, but possibly tv). Anyway, after the game the regular commentators talking amongst themselves were rather disappointed with what Ablett offered in terms of insights into the game. Someone described his football style as a 'hunter' - that is, 'see ball get ball' type. In terms of his ability to read the game, trends, structures etc, he had no idea. He played on instinct and that is it. He had no meaningful grasp of the intricacies of an AFL game.

Essentially, as a captain, he'd be useless in terms of strategy and overcoming opposition tactics. Potentially the greatest to ever play the game, but knew nothing about the game.

Whats the point?
Just because Cripps is a beast out on the field and can potentially drag his entire team over the line, (like ablett) doesn't mean he has the ability to articulate and enforce the coaches wishes mid-game, and lead the team through difficult off-field times.
Doesn't mean he can't though....just saying we don't really know. ;)

Reply #52
Cripps doesnt seem to have the same polarising personality that Buckley did.....even opposition supporters like and respect Cripps...

Reply #53
Cripps doesnt seem to have the same polarising personality that Buckley did.....even opposition supporters like and respect Cripps...

Opposition supporters liked and respected Ablett Snr too.

I'm not sold on Cripps, nor am i opposed to him being captain.
Ditto Doc.

I'm just saying, that from the outside we are NOT the best judge of who should be captain.

Remember only 12 months ago Weitering was a top candidate from supporters to take over from Murphy, and he can't even break into the side at present.

Reply #54
Opposition supporters liked and respected Ablett Snr too.

I'm not sold on Cripps, nor am i opposed to him being captain.
Ditto Doc.

I'm just saying, that from the outside we are NOT the best judge of who should be captain.

Remember only 12 months ago Weitering was a top candidate from supporters to take over from Murphy, and he can't even break into the side at present.

From the outside, we are not the best judges on anything.
Close the site?

Reply #55
What colour was the couch ?

Reply #56
From the outside, we are not the best judges on anything.
Close the site?

No, just don't make definitive statements and expect everyone to go along with you.